bmoresportsnut

Reaction score
Handicap
Quick question for the fellow golfers. I'm struggling putting this month, but trying to convince myself it's the slowness of the greens and the conditions and to not overreact. Anyone else dealing with this issue?

I would say yes and no.
On the one hand I and the guys I play with regularly tend to make fewer putts overall in the winter. Longer and harder strokes combined with soft/shaggy/imperfect greens isn't a recipe for putting success.
On the other hand if you find you are just completely unable to hit your lines there could be something to worry about. It sounds like something doesn't feel right to you?

I feel like I'm hitting my target line, but can't get in the "zone" for speed. Just not comfortable with the length of the stroke. I'm just being a complainer I guess. Hahahaha. Can't wait for warmer weather and mowed greens. Lol

I dislike slow greens regardless of how cold it is, so I could see your point.

I am assuming you are dealing with overseeded greens. My course does this around the beginning of November each year. It does slow the greens down and I see less breaks than what the read indicates. I also struggle on slow greens no matter what time of year it is.

I struggle with the greens here in the winter as they slow down as well.

I would not overreact, unless, the greens are in perfect conditions. They are very soft and slow here, and, the pace on the greens are bit uneven. You need to hit the back of the cup, if you want them to go in.

Yeah, out of season golf can be challenging with the greens not in great shape. I wouldn't stress it.

Sometimes, during this month, it has hurt my face to go outside.

I am struggling with Winter putting but because the greens are extremely fast, not too slow. I believe they are a Bermuda hybrid that is dormant. With no growth and all of the traffic on them the grass is quite compacted and they have a lot of imperfections, little bumps, etc. When the grass starts growing and they can mow them they will putt much more consistently. So I am not worried at this point.

Sometimes, during this month, it has hurt my face to go outside.

Mine too. Face hurt definitely makes putting more challenging.

I feel like I'm hitting my target line, but can't get in the "zone" for speed. Just not comfortable with the length of the stroke. I'm just being a complainer I guess. Hahahaha. Can't wait for warmer weather and mowed greens. Lol
If it's just pace you're worried about I wouldn't stress it at all. It can be really tough on winter greens.
I find it is sometimes offset by the fact that chipping and pitching are easier on slow winter greens since you can just fly everything to the hole if you want.

I think I have one green speed hard-wired into my brain and my success, putting, is entirely dependent on the green speed matching up.

Quick question for the fellow golfers. I'm struggling putting this month, but trying to convince myself it's the slowness of the greens and the conditions and to not overreact. Anyone else dealing with this issue?

You're greens are slow, really requires you to use a bit more force than needed for a proper putt inside 10' during the season. When we played I was aiming everything past the hole about 18". I tend to do this a lot on slow greens to keep me from getting my putter swing out of sync. Even then, I did leave the longer lag putts short.

The greens are pretty shaggy. I wouldn’t worry too much about it unless you’re having trouble hitting the lines you pick.

Back