What happens to clubs that never sell?

lblanto1

Reaction score
Handicap
It may be a dumb question, but seriously? Where do the thousands of drivers or wedges or “insert type of club here” end up if they don’t sell? I mean do places just drop the price until they sell or does the manufacturer take them back? There is no way every club made sells or is there? Where do they end up? Maybe I am under estimating inventory management in the industry but it just seems like it’s an improbability all these clubs get purchased so if they don’t what happens to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may be a dumb question, but seriously? Where do the thousands of drivers or wedges or “insert type of club here” end up if they don’t sell? I mean do places just drop the price until they sell or does the manufacturer take them back? There is no way every club made sells or is there? Where do they end up? Maybe I am under estimating inventory management in the industry but it just seems like it’s an improbability all these clubs get purchased so if they don’t what happens to them?

Interesting question. I’ve never thought about it myself...not trying to compare brands here, but I noticed the other day at my local big box that there was a rack for the Epic drivers with one left and right beside it a rack for the 2017 TM drivers and it was completely full. Not sure if that means they sold more of one than the other or that they just had more to start with or what. But anyway I hope Someone can answer your question.

A lot of manufacturers have buy back programs. I believe the clubs are either sold as second hand (think Taylormade pre-owned) or destroyed.

I could be way off here, but I remember reading something like this.

My local shop sends all the unsold inventory back at the end of the year or very beginning of spring.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

A lot of manufacturers have buy back programs. I believe the clubs are either sold as second hand (think Taylormade pre-owned) or destroyed.

I could be way off here, but I remember reading something like this.

When you say destroyed, do you mean recycled? Is that possible I wonder? Or they buy them back calculate the cost of the goods and enter a big number in the loss column. Hopefully someone has a definitive answer. It could also differ based on manufacturer I’d assume.

It's a combination of everything you said really. Better inventory management and market forecasting can help limit excess. OEMs offering up decent discounts on "pre-owned" like new clubs after a few months of release is happening. Less excess inventory means less discounts to clear extra inventory. Even when said inventory is discounted below cost and unsold, it might be bought back by the OEM and rebadged or sold to a super deal golf website. All of that and more is possible.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

When you say destroyed, do you mean recycled? Is that possible I wonder? Or they buy them back calculate the cost of the goods and enter a big number in the loss column. Hopefully someone has a definitive answer. It could also differ based on manufacturer I’d assume.

I would assume that's why the club makers seem to struggle. Especially the ones who crank out new product every 6 months

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I buy the club from an on-line retailer 2-years after release at a ridiculous mark down hoping it will somehow work miracles for my game. When it doesn’t the club sets in my garage for 12-18 months. Some enterprising kid the buys it from me off Craig’s list and then sells it at a small profit to someone even cheaper and more unrealistically optimistic than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

give them away after 2-3 seasons...

A lot of time the manufacture will do a trade in towards account credit. The manufacture then usually sales them online as preowned or bulk sales to clearing houses. In some some rare occasions they may just repurpose the shafts and destroy the heads. I've heard of a few manufacture just donating to first tee or school programs as well.

SLDR C happens

SLDR C happens
Just don't tell bobcat that it doesn't come with improved forgiveness and the latest and greatest tech...
502ccb0daf218f4a1365d5841c08decb.gif

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The unsold clubs can go to golf outlets , secondary buyers ( ebay sellers ) or exported to developing countries , usually countries with with lots of population and positive economic growth.

Those unsold clubs from USA, still can be sold easy in some developing countries. Well of course selling them at discounted price.

Last edited:
The unsold clubs can go to golf outlets , secondary buyers ( ebay sellers ) or exported to developing countries , usually countries with with lots of population and positive economic growth.

Those unsold clubs from USA, still can be sold easy in some developing countries. Well of course selling them at discounted price.

I'd say a large number of them go to eBay sellers. I buy/sell a fair amount of equipment on eBay, but I've always wondered how to get a wholesale connection.

Sold as used, labeled as ARP and sold to places like golf steals and deals.

Some probably wind up on the Island of Misfit Clubs. I understand the pro shop there is stacked to the rafters.

Back