Cobra KING F8: Face Milling and Rickie Fowler

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The new KING F8+ driver from Cobra Golf is the only CNC Milled Face on the mainstream market. We got some questions recently about what the milling does for the golfer in terms of performance, so wanted to get you the answer right from the source.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/cobra-king-f8-rickie-fowler/

Informative interview, Michael has certainly found a niche, he’s doing a great job with interviews, good questions from THP team, great responses ....thanks JB.

I’m not quite sure I understand, but moat companies are polishing the driver faces to put bulge and roll on them, and with the F8 line Cobra is milling the face to get the bulge and roll. Is that right?

• Admin
I’m not quite sure I understand, but moat companies are polishing the driver faces to put bulge and roll on them, and with the F8 line Cobra is milling the face to get the bulge and roll. Is that right?

For the bulge and roll aspect, yes. It is not just limited to that, but actually the finishing of the face as a whole.

For the bulge and roll aspect, yes. It is not just limited to that, but actually the finishing of the face as a whole.

So following that thought to the logical conclusion, the face on each individual unit will be the same, eliminating any variance from head to head.

• Admin
So following that thought to the logical conclusion, the face on each individual unit will be the same, eliminating any variance from head to head.

Yes. In theory, that is the case. It is why you heard Jose speak of the demo day portion of this and fitting tour players.

Love this video. I guess I assumed that that each head is exactly the same already, but his comments about the demo day and heads being different really makes you think. I know I’ve hit a driver well at the range and bought only for it to be totally different. I’ve hit this driver and I think Cobra really has a winner here

Well, they’ll be the same within a much tighter tolerance, likely a few thousandths of an inch. Theoretically with tolerances that are tight enough one could flirt more boldly with the upper CT limits.

Yes. In theory, that is the case. It is why you heard Jose speak of the demo day portion of this and fitting tour players.

Cool. Thanks for the assist. It does seem like CNC Milling would provide a more consistent face, insuring you get the consistent results from fitting to your own driver on the course.

Really like the sounds of the benefits of the CNC milled face on a driver.

This was really good, like hearing about what goes into these with the professionals via their feedback. Getting Cobra that immediate tour validation was a great start to this one and I would imagine a big confidence boost for Rickie for 2018.

love the video, great way to explain the process. this line is looking very good, oh to be a Morgan Cup participant

Very cool. I hadn't pieced together that the CNC milling of the face creates extremely tight tolerances on the bulge/roll and loft. I wish Cobra would offer those heavier heads meant to play at 44" at retail.

I wonder if a custom order is placed with Cobra at 44" do they automatically swing weight the club?

Very cool. I hadn't pieced together that the CNC milling of the face creates extremely tight tolerances on the bulge/roll and loft. I wish Cobra would offer those heavier heads meant to play at 44" at retail.

I wonder if a custom order is placed with Cobra at 44" do they automatically swing weight the club?

isn't that what the F8 tour lenght is for?

Maybe...have I skimmed something? I'm not sure what the Tour Length is?

from Cobra's website
KING F8 TOUR LENGTH DRIVER
Inspired by Rickie Fowler’s driver used on tour, the KING F8 Tour Length Driver features a shorter, 44.5” shaft, and is equipped with 16g and 6g weights (compared to 12g and 2g in the standard KING F8) to help golfers achieve straighter and more accurate drives down the fairway.

I like the video and the explanation that the CNC milling imparts is easy to understand. Cobra has been building up to the release for some time now it seems. Each driver iteration has been building on the last. The E9 face and SmartPad are legit.

Is it safe to assume the circular portion in the middle of the face will be the thickest? Would that thickness be uniform across that portion and then thinning out across the other portion of the face?

18SS_BTL_Ecom_GO_Clubs_King-F8_Banner_1920x625px_Driver-Face-min.jpg

from Cobra's website
Inspired by Rickie Fowler’s driver used on tour, the KING F8 Tour Length Driver features a shorter, 44.5” shaft, and is equipped with 16g and 6g weights (compared to 12g and 2g in the standard KING F8) to help golfers achieve straighter and more accurate drives down the fairway.

If they know this is straighter and more accurate why isn't this the standard delivered to the masses? Instead we get, here's close but if you actually want what you are expecting to begin with, fork out some more money?

It may sound like I'm bashing but that's not the case, I'm just asking.

Jose and Vrska talking tech is awesome!!! The F8 is an awesome piece of golf technology and the miles face is legit.

It's pretty crazy that they used to have to go through 15 heads for Rickie to find one that worked for him and now the milled face has cut out a big variable. it really makes you think a little more about the difference in heads just because of the production process.

from Cobra's website

If they know this is straighter and more accurate why isn't this the standard delivered to the masses? Instead we get, here's close but if you actually want what you are expecting to begin with, fork out some more money?

It may sound like I'm bashing but that's not the case, I'm just asking.

longer shaft usually means more more head speed, more distance. Most companie are seeling their drivers at 45.5 to 46 inches, but tour average is a bit shorter, because these guys do not need the distance, they already have it. I think it's good that they offer a shorter version, but if they were selling a driver that was an inch shorter than the competitors, they would suffer in distance comparisons

Ah thanks Marty. I wasn't thinking about head speed. Makes sense.

Ah thanks Marty. I wasn't thinking about head speed. Makes sense.

there might be more reasons for it, but this is how I think of it

Back