M2 '17 Driver custom shaft

joebute

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently bought an M2 2017 driver with the stock XLR8 pro shaft. My launch monitor numbers were solid with this shaft, and I thought the feel was fine, but the store didn't have much available in the way of custom shafts to try for comparison. I hit the KK DC TiNi from the M1 (and liked it, but preferred the lighter weight Fuji). I didn't worry about it too much, because I can play the stock shaft no problem, and figured I could always pick up a different shaft down the road for comparison.

If I want to buy another shaft online for an extended demo/experiment, any thoughts? My numbers with the XLR8 pro were 101MPH clubhead, 1.46 smash, 2300 spin, and 14 launch. I would call myself a smooth/good tempo player. I'm thinking maybe HZRDUS red 5.5 or Tensei CK blue 50S. Not really expecting any major performance benefits, just maybe a feel that I like better or a cooler look!!

Getting pretty darn good numbers out of that setup.
HZRDUS Red is a fantastic shaft for mid launch. Even Flow is also a fantastic shaft and has a feel that many are quickly falling in love with based on THP user feedback.

I think you mean 101 swing speed, and extrapolating smash it would be about 147.5 mph club head. Those numbers are darn good to my eye, pretty near optimal. If you're looking for better control or feel, or just want to tinker, try out any shaft you want! Not going to find out if there is anything better unless you try.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Getting pretty darn good numbers out of that setup.
HZRDUS Red is a fantastic shaft for mid launch. Even Flow is also a fantastic shaft and has a feel that many are quickly falling in love with based on THP user feedback.

Yeah absolutely - I knew that's about as good as I could expect with my speed. That said, I'm not above trying something else purely for looks or feel, haha. Will have to look at the Even Flow!

I bought a Taylormade M2 2017 with a Project X Hzrdus Yellow (stiff) and honestly do not like it. I have played it for 4 months and just dont like the feel of it. Despite it not being too heavy to me it just seems harsher (if that is the right word) to swing than my Wilson Triton with the Aldila Silver. Also, my shot trajectory is lower and I am losing distance. Using the Trackman, over 10 shots with my M2, my average SS was 94, BS 137, smash factor was 1.46, spin rate was 2600, Launch Angle was 10.

I could not go to a fitting so I used the pdf on Taylormade driver page to look at recommendations based on launch angle and spin. Based on that I ordered 2 different shafts this week, Tensei CK Blue 50 (stiff) and the Matrix Ozik MFS X5 55 (regular). Not sure if either of them work or not, but worth a shot. I would suggest looking at that chart on the Taylormade page to see what shaft may be a good fit to try?

I would try the red. You are not leaving many yards out there as is though. Maybe 3-5 yards carry. 2k @ 16* would get you there.

I would try the red. You are not leaving many yards out there as is though. Maybe 3-5 yards carry. 2k @ 16* would get you there.

Yeah I don't think I'll get much better performance, although I should admit that I don't even play my driver in the most "optimal" distance setup. I struggled on course with the setup from my fitting, and found a lot more consistency from a higher loft setting. Ended up being a good compromise between dispersion and acceptable distance. With that in mind I do want to try a different shaft just for fun. I thought the HZRDUS red or Tensei blue would be relatively user friendly and pretty easy to find for the m2

Ok, I've kind of looked around for some options - main considerations are 1.) Right ballpark for fit 2.) Available and 3.) Not too expensive (looking for <$150). Narrowed it down to the following:

1 - Diamana S+60 - stiff
2 - Tensei CK Blue 50 - stiff
3 - Hzrdus Red - 5.5
4 - Matrix White Tie 55 - stiff

I'm leaning towards the Diamana at this point. I'm guessing that the Tensei 50 and White Tie will be very similar to the stock shaft I already have, and probably not worth the experiment. For some reason I'm skeptical about the Hzrdus - just worried since I'm not a very aggressive swinger and it's billed as a lower torque/firmer tip shaft. The Diamana S+ sounds like a decent fit for me, while being different enough to warrant experimenting...

Ok, I've kind of looked around for some options - main considerations are 1.) Right ballpark for fit 2.) Available and 3.) Not too expensive (looking for <$150). Narrowed it down to the following:

1 - Diamana S+60 - stiff
2 - Tensei CK Blue 50 - stiff
3 - Hzrdus Red - 5.5
4 - Matrix White Tie 55 - stiff

I'm leaning towards the Diamana at this point. I'm guessing that the Tensei 50 and White Tie will be very similar to the stock shaft I already have, and probably not worth the experiment. For some reason I'm skeptical about the Hzrdus - just worried since I'm not a very aggressive swinger and it's billed as a lower torque/firmer tip shaft. The Diamana S+ sounds like a decent fit for me, while being different enough to warrant experimenting...

I got my Tensei CK Blue 50 (Stiff) this last weekend. It worked amazing for me. Not every shot was perfect (thanks to my inconsistent swing) but the good ones got really good height. Again, roll was not there thanks to the Pacific NW winters but I was thrilled with the drives I hit. My SS is not that quick (mid 90s). Going from the PROJECTX HZRDUS YELLOW to the Tensei was quite a change in trajectory for me.

Based on your numbers though I almost think that the CK Blue 50 would be too high launch for you (and so will the White Tie). The HZRDUS Red may be a good fit though.

Back