To be quite honest, I wasn't able to hit 3 decent shots in a row by the 3rd lesson, so have no consistency to measure with. Was just happy I wasn't hitting everything heavy. That was until Sunday night when I was at home, as I was hitting a lot of sweet shots. But unsure if I'm doing it correct or not, but the ball sure comes off the face effortlessly. Just so different to what I was used to.
Don't know how swinging as far to the inside as possible can square up my club face, but it seemed to work, with zero effort trying to square it up. Guess I'll find out tonight.

I'm only a guy breaking 90 but this is how my pro started with me a year ago. Swinging inside. Then clubface. Now rotation. I still work on "feeling" dropping the club inside when I do drills at home.

Good luck with everything. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That one sure looked better than that squirter to the right. Seeing any change in distance with changes?
well after my lesson last night, the answer is yes. He had me doing a more one plane swing, as I can't make good contact yet with my backswing higher. Its much more flat for the moment, and I was hitting it quite well, and coming from the inside.

Then he said try hit it on the bottom groove on the face... well, lol, I couldn't. He then put tape on the face to see where I was hitting. Basically all high toe, but the face was close to square. Once I was able to get it lower around the middle of the face, but still not on the bottom groove, my ball started to draw, I was extremely happy and hit like 4 in a row. Then my instructor said, "do you realize you're hitting your 8 iron 180 yards?" Man I wasn't even swinging hard, just concentrating on contact! So yes distance has changed, at least so far as I used to believe my 8 was for 155ish yards. Hope it wasn't a fluke.

He sent me home with more face tape, with drills, and the mission to experiment to try hit the bottom groove off the heel of my club, which is impossible right now, lol. He said when i can do that, he'll stop me from doing it. I think maybe its because I still swing a little steep. Forgot to ask why as I was still grinning.
Overall I'm really impressed with my lessons. Should've done this years ago!

Cripes!

Yea, start delivering a squarer face like that and I'd exped you to see a bump. Nice!

Interesting read, keep at it. Don't get caught up in the numbers he is giving you.

Cripes!

Yea, start delivering a squarer face like that and I'd exped you to see a bump. Nice!

I must not have ever hit near the middle of the face before. lol, he also asked me to hit a thin shot, took me 7 tries. I must've been too high on the face all along, as most at the start were above the face tape even as I tried to hit the bottom groove.

Interesting read, keep at it. Don't get caught up in the numbers he is giving you.

Good advice. I know how I was swinging, isn't anywhere near where he wants me to be eventually. So the numbers aren't really a factor yet. Was more happy to hit a few draws, as I've never done it on purpose before, lol.

Just got the video from my lesson last night, which I discussed above. Looking at it I'm def. not going inside to out as much as it feels like (barely at all) but better than I was for sure. And contact is coming, so pretty happy so far. Got 10 lessons left so got time before the courses open up around here. Snow should be gone by the end of the week.

Well my iron swing is finally coming, and I'm pretty much able to swing coming from the inside now at will, and no longer have the flat swing. Still come back a bit too much to the inside on my backswing, as well as contact and release is still my focus with them.

And starting with the Driver swing now, wow, my ball positioning was way wrong, my idea of the driver swing wasn't even close to good, lol. Still alot of work. I seem to swing ok, and make contact in the middle of the face, but as soon as the face hits the ball I pull it across like my old OTT, and it causes alot of spin and creates the old familiar slice, a different slice than I used to hit, but still one. Weird. Gotta practice to almost push it now.

The hardest thing for me is to remember to keep my left shoulder below my chin on my backswing, with all clubs, so gotta keep working.

Quite excited with my progress... Should've done this years ago!

I've been practicing with my driver, and same problem I had originally with my irons. I'm able to swing from the inside, but I cannot get my club face closed. Not sure if I'm not finishing properly, as I'm aware I'm pushing more with the club, as I was instructed to try, rather than on contact pulling hard to the inside as I was doing. Still kinda lost. Got my 6th lesson tomorrow, so hopefully can get this straightened out a bit (literally).
One positive is that even though my face is open, its not slicing 70 yards to the right anymore, lol.

Driver is the last to come around.

Don't know about you, but it always seems like when I hit a big push I just cream the ball, making it twice as bad.

Driver is the last to come around.

Don't know about you, but it always seems like when I hit a big push I just cream the ball, making it twice as bad.

Well, Hawk, that's what seems to be happening. I couldn't tell enough about my ball flight hitting into my net at home, so went to a simulator for 1/2 hour, and I was creaming it, but ya everything went hard to the right, maybe slicing over 20 yards or so, but the flight path was for sure that direction. But the bright spot was nothing was out of bounds.
Even though it was bad, my driver was so bad before with my OTT move, I haven't used it for a couple years, so I have hope now at least.

Get that face under control and you'll be in fine shape. Could be as simple as grip or takeaway, but who knows. I bet he can tell you after your next video.

Well, he had me swing my driver a little more "flat", and the results were immediate, and it seems by swinging that way I seem to get like 10mph more on clubhead speed. So practiced the last week doing that, and in the lesson I pounded a few really long ones (longer than I thought possible for me), and looked at him all proud. He then corrected how I was holding the driver.... and I was back to square one, lol.
I was holding the face forward, and not letting the club sit flat on the ground. It seems like the face is open holding it that way, but it's not apparently. Maybe a visual thing.

Still got alot of work to do, but slowly getting there, and hopefully I'll actually be able to use a driver this year.

Last edited:
Can't watch the video at the moment, but that still frame on the right looks really powerful dude.

After my hand injury, I lost a little of what I'd learned. Needed a tune up on my irons, as I thought I was shanking a few, but they were actually toe hits. Shows how valuable video is. And am now back on track. (still lots to work on, but best iron play of my life).
And then worked on my putting stroke a bit. I have the tendency to speed up on my follow through.
Overall, I'm really impressed with the outcome of my lessons so far. 4 more to go.

Glad you hitting them well and found an instuctor that is really improving what you had.

Good luck with the hand.

Glad you hitting them well and found an instuctor that is really improving what you had.

Good luck with the hand.

Thanks man. Ya my instructor is good, as he doesn't lose faith in me. He knows I'll practice and get what he's teaching eventually. He showed me the difference between my first lesson, and yesterday, wow what a difference. Still have lots of work to do but pretty much got the OTT move out of my swing (unless I try kill it). I took a risk paying for 14 lessons before I knew if he was good or not. Glad I did.

I got switched to a neutral grip, felt weird especially on the driver at first. Now it seems more natural for myself.

Also with the driver he stopped me doing the forward press, and wow, what a difference in accuracy. My driver is now my favorite club (last year was my least favorite), since I got the bimatrix stiff shaft put on it. It helps with low ball flight, and then he turned up the head. It has really low spin compared to what it was like. Night and Day.

Since Nov 10th 2015.. golftown has cancelled all private lessons. I had a few lessons back in the summer and thought they helped me with my game.
I have about $250 worth of giftcards that I was going to use towards lessons. Now I am stuck haha. Does anyone know any alternatives for this? The lessons were decently prices, around $180 for 5 lessons. I enjoyed the technology used as well.

Since Nov 10th 2015.. golftown has cancelled all private lessons. I had a few lessons back in the summer and thought they helped me with my game.
I have about $250 worth of giftcards that I was going to use towards lessons. Now I am stuck haha. Does anyone know any alternatives for this? The lessons were decently prices, around $180 for 5 lessons. I enjoyed the technology used as well.

It would really suck to be forced to buy new clubs with that money, I am very sorry for you :alien:

as far as lessons go, I dont know where you are located, but around here, most domes or places with simulator bays will offer some kind of lesson packages, maybe not as cheap as golftown though.

My pro uses the bay at Nevada Bob's (sport chek). It has a flightscope. If you have one nearby you can talk to the golf guys there to see if there is a pro running winter lessons.

It would really suck to be forced to buy new clubs with that money, I am very sorry for you :alien:

as far as lessons go, I dont know where you are located, but around here, most domes or places with simulator bays will offer some kind of lesson packages, maybe not as cheap as golftown though.

haha.. just bought a new set a few years ago... i don't think a new driver will help with my snap hook on saturdays and slice on sundays

My pro uses the bay at Nevada Bob's (sport chek). It has a flightscope. If you have one nearby you can talk to the golf guys there to see if there is a pro running winter lessons.

LOL, my bay at Nevada Bobs is full of winter coats and bicycles right now. Stupid winter.

haha.. just bought a new set a few years ago... i don't think a new driver will help with my snap hook on saturdays and slice on sundays

yeah no driver will help with that, lessons might be better in your case lol

Ya I have 2 lessons left over to cash in. I registered for lessons at the golf dome in Saskatoon instead this winter. They are a little more expensive, but the instructors resume is impressive, so hope I can still improve this winter.

Sent from my S6 edge

Back