How do you rake bunkers?

How do you rake bunkers?

• rake over all the tracks you made, evenly?

Votes: 80 74.1%
  • Rake and push, leaving sand with little ridges?

Votes: 21 19.4%
  • Rake all the sand to the edge of the bunker?

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Do not rake at all?

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
This past weekend I was stuck behind a very deliberate group of high cappers. And it seemed that every time I looked up, one of them was raking a trap. I saw some many different methods, it made me wonder how others treat this task.

Do you rake over the tracks you have made? Do you rake all the sand toward the edge of the bunkers? Do rake and push? Do you not rake at all?

I was recently taught to make the last stroke be a push because it leaves the smoothest surface. So that's what I do.

I don't know how to rack a bunker :p

But I do rake the sand back then push out, trying to make it even....

First, I pull some sand over my foot-prints and ball-mark, and then push some sand back to level things out. Then I rake in an S-like pattern from that point, all the way to the lip, covering my tracks.

Found this though, and looks like I'm doing all wrong:

i rake the tracks i left and try to fix any others in the bunker. i was taught to enter in the low point of the bunker then pull the rake towards the low point and then to push the sand from the low point back into the bunker.

Rack back up the face then one last push down.

Is there a right way? I honestly don't know.

I just try to make it even and as level as possible when I'm done. not sure if it's correct or not, but they look pretty decent when I am done with them I guess.

I rake and push, doing my best to get it smooth. I usually end up fixing other people's footprints and marks too, because people are jackasses.

I rake over the area I have messed up. I do not pull the sand to the edge. I like ot leave the trap better than I found it so the next person in can draw a descent lie.
Rack back up the face then one last push down.

Is there a right way? I honestly don't know.

I rake over the area I have messed up. I do not pull the sand to the edge. I like ot leave the trap better than I found it so the next person in can draw a descent lie.

I do that too. So is that the 'correct' way?

Interesting. I always thought the last push helped settle some sand in the base.

I was the way I was taught. The thing I try to guard against is a ton of stand in the lip of the trap. Nothing worse than plugging in the lip of the high faced trap.
I do that too. So is that the 'correct' way?

Interesting. I always thought the last push helped settle some sand in the base.

I try to make it look like no one was there as much as possible.

I take the rake with me and when I am done I rake my little spot as evenly as possible. I walk out of the bunker backwards raking over my tracks until I am out.

I just try to make sure that I rake so that if I were to hit my ball in there, I wouldn't be cursing rake job. So I try to make sure it's as clean of lie as you can get.

One of my biggest pet peeves is broken/junky bunker rakes. Give me a good rake and I will make the bunker as good as the grounds crew. Give me a bad rake and it just never turns out right.

Surprised no one said "I don't go in bunkers, so don't need to rake them."

I rake my tracks as evenly as possibly. 3/4 of the time here bunkers aren't raked, so when I do end up in them, I try to rake as much as possible.

i've been playing golf for almost 15 years. i know i SUCK at raking bunkers. i try to pull and push the sand evenly over my tracks, then pull the excess sand back to the edge of the bunker.

Cover my feet marks with my feet, making it as flat. Then a combination of lightly pulling the rake back as well as forward pushes to evenly spread the sand. Basically, make it look like you were never there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to smooth it out and follow the contour of the bunker. Sort-of like smoothing out concrete.

One time I was playing and there was someone up ahead wearing cowboy boots, and he never raked the bunker.

Try hitting out of a bunker, down inside a heel print of a boot:angry:

Jack

rake it back as evenly as it was this morning.

then lay the rake parallel to the hole, along the edge bunker on the far side of it. so that a ball has very little chance to get hung up on the rake or handle

I rake towards the edge of the bunker from ball mark to footprints and out

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I always try to rake over my footprints and shot blast well enough to make it like I was never there.

Back