Do You Feel Guilty?

cyoung2ty

Reaction score
Handicap
For some background... I just turned 39 a week ago, but I've been playing golf since I was 13 years old. For most of that time, if I got in a few rounds per year... I was happy. In late 2013, I moved from New Jersey to South Carolina for work. This obviously meant more golf for me since the season was pretty much year-round. In 2015, I joined a group that plays about twice a month at different courses... and then in late 2016, we joined a local club.

The group that plays twice a month will usually play on a Saturday. At the club, I'll play primarily during the week since I have a pretty flexible schedule. This leaves most of my weekends open to spend with my family.

A few weeks ago, I had to go away for a week for work. I got home late on a Sunday evening, so... that weekend, I had spent away. The following weekend, I had a few buddies ask me if we could get out and play a round at my club. I asked my wife if there were any plans, and when she said no... I asked if she was okay with me getting out for a few hours to play that day. She said she didn't mind... so, I agreed. I was home about 45 minutes later than I had initially told her I would be (cart path only that day slowed things down a bit). When I got home... there seemed to be no issues.

3 days later, I was talking to her about the upcoming season and she kinda blew up on me. This was all new because she's my biggest supporter in playing golf. She asks me about it following my rounds and she even helps me to set up our year-end trip where we rent a house with a group of other families for a long weekend. This day, however, she really let me have it.

She essentially said she was pissed that I had spent the following weekend away for work and then chose to come home and spend the following Saturday on the golf course instead of at home with her. I had weekend rounds planned the next few weeks as well. I let her cool off a bit and then asked if she wanted me to back out of those rounds. She said no and that I should go and enjoy myself... but, it's now been a few weeks and I've played 2 rounds on weekends. During both of them... I've felt guilty.

It's kind of messed with my head a little bit. I find myself wondering, especially towards the end of the round, if she's going to be upset when I get home.

I feel like maybe she was just having a bad day that particular day because she's never been anything but supportive (we've been together for 20 years and this is the first time she's really ever said anything), but... I don't like the thoughts creeping in during my rounds.

Our relationship is great. Neither of us mistrust the other. We're both supportive of each other going out and having a good time. This is kind of new to me, so... I'm looking for a little feedback.

Does anybody else feel like this when they play on weekends? Should I not worry about it and chalk it up to her having a bad day?

Everyone is different man, and everyone has their own balance. I play 90% of my rounds at 5 or 5:30 am so it doesn't interfere with family time. If I want to play that's when I get to. In my case, it keeps everyone happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone is different man, and everyone has their own balance. I play 90% of my rounds at 5 or 5:30 am so it doesn't interfere with family time. If I want to play that's when I get to. In my case, it keeps everyone happy.

You have enough daylight to go off that early? That’s crazy

Been there done that. "Sorry honey. Let's go out to eat with the kids. You drive, because I can't."

~Rock

You have enough daylight to go off that early? That’s crazy

Remember my season is may-October. May, June, July and August make up the significant majority of my rounds. Sometimes I have to wait for the sun to come up

Remember my season is may-October. May, June, July and August make up the significant majority of my rounds. Sometimes I have to wait for the sun to come up

That makes a bit more sense. My guess is if you’re home before 10, 10:30 on weekends, you’re good to go.

That makes a bit more sense. My guess is if you’re home before 10, 10:30 on weekends, you’re good to go.

Exactly. And if I'm first off, it's closer to 8:30

When I started doing it, there were several times I was home early enough to cook breakfast :)

I hear ya. That's why I play the majority of my rounds on weekdays. It allows me to still play 1 to 2 times per week without taking away from family time. I just looked at my schedule for this season and between this Saturday and the end of September, I have 16 weekend rounds scheduled out of 70 weekend days. To me... that's less than 25% of my weekend days. To her, I guess I can see how it's a high number.

It's new to me. I'm hoping it was just a bad day but... if she brings it up again, I may have to rethink my weekend golf time.

:sad:

I wouldn’t feel guilty, not in the slightest.

INCREDIBLY guilty. she feels i play enough (i.e. too much) golf, and i feel i don't play anywhere near as often as i want to. we will never see eye-to-eye until our kids are older and more self-sufficient. it's a source of frustration and there has so far been no accord. the closest we have come is telling each other that we need to start communicating better about when we want time for ourselves. maybe that will help.

point is, i feel you bro. and i don't have a good answer for you.

I hear ya. That's why I play the majority of my rounds on weekdays. It allows me to still play 1 to 2 times per week without taking away from family time. I just looked at my schedule for this season and between this Saturday and the end of September, I have 16 weekend rounds scheduled out of 70 weekend days. To me... that's less than 25% of my weekend days. To her, I guess I can see how it's a high number.

It's new to me. I'm hoping it was just a bad day but... if she brings it up again, I may have to rethink my weekend golf time.

:sad:

Or just set the alarm clock early

It's a tough balance. No doubt. I've seen that battle between spouses many, many times unfortunately.

Thankfully, my wife is pretty cool about when I golf, no matter the time.

I will say for my weekend rounds, we usually go off around 5:30am-6am (summer time) so I'm back by like 10:30. Plus she is a runner so she spends time running on the weekends as well.

For my league on Monday nights, I'm usually getting home around the time she gets home from work so it works out well there.

I think as long as there's a balance for the rest of the time I'm not golfing, there's no reason for me to feel guilty. Everyone has things they like to do.
It's what helps keeps people happy.

If I traveled for work, I would probably try to either make my golf schedule different, or at least plan extra time in to spend with my wife so that she isn't feeling left out as well.

Well yeah, you never woke up till the back 9 started haha

Hahahaha also true

Holy hell sometimes I wonder how people can deal with this stuff. I guess I am luck being single with no kids because I can not imagine having to ask permission to play golf. I would never get in a relationship that required that nor would I expect the person I am with to have to ask me if it is ok to go out of town with the girls for the weekend.

The answer is lol at feeling guilty

For some background... I just turned 39 a week ago, but I've been playing golf since I was 13 years old. For most of that time, if I got in a few rounds per year... I was happy. In late 2013, I moved from New Jersey to South Carolina for work. This obviously meant more golf for me since the season was pretty much year-round. In 2015, I joined a group that plays about twice a month at different courses... and then in late 2016, we joined a local club.

The group that plays twice a month will usually play on a Saturday. At the club, I'll play primarily during the week since I have a pretty flexible schedule. This leaves most of my weekends open to spend with my family.

A few weeks ago, I had to go away for a week for work. I got home late on a Sunday evening, so... that weekend, I had spent away. The following weekend, I had a few buddies ask me if we could get out and play a round at my club. I asked my wife if there were any plans, and when she said no... I asked if she was okay with me getting out for a few hours to play that day. She said she didn't mind... so, I agreed. I was home about 45 minutes later than I had initially told her I would be (cart path only that day slowed things down a bit). When I got home... there seemed to be no issues.

3 days later, I was talking to her about the upcoming season and she kinda blew up on me. This was all new because she's my biggest supporter in playing golf. She asks me about it following my rounds and she even helps me to set up our year-end trip where we rent a house with a group of other families for a long weekend. This day, however, she really let me have it.

She essentially said she was pissed that I had spent the following weekend away for work and then chose to come home and spend the following Saturday on the golf course instead of at home with her. I had weekend rounds planned the next few weeks as well. I let her cool off a bit and then asked if she wanted me to back out of those rounds. She said no and that I should go and enjoy myself... but, it's now been a few weeks and I've played 2 rounds on weekends. During both of them... I've felt guilty.

It's kind of messed with my head a little bit. I find myself wondering, especially towards the end of the round, if she's going to be upset when I get home.

I feel like maybe she was just having a bad day that particular day because she's never been anything but supportive (we've been together for 20 years and this is the first time she's really ever said anything), but... I don't like the thoughts creeping in during my rounds.

Our relationship is great. Neither of us mistrust the other. We're both supportive of each other going out and having a good time. This is kind of new to me, so... I'm looking for a little feedback.

Does anybody else feel like this when they play on weekends? Should I not worry about it and chalk it up to her having a bad day?

generally, i try to play on the weekends at close to 1st light so i can be home early while my entire family is still sleeping or just getting up. yes there are times i play mid day. relationships vary of course, but she does more or less as she wants, i do as i want. our plans fit our schedule and we "play" around that. I have realized if i need to lie about my golfing time, i should not be golfing then.

I think everyone is different. I love spending time with my family. The sacrifice is if I want to play is play while they sleep.

I think everyone is different. I love spending time with my family. The sacrifice is if I want to play is play while they sleep.

My kids are awake before the sun comes up.

~Rock

My kids are awake before the sun comes up.

~Rock

Ha - mine are very close. I may have to start playing by flashlight

I have been married to my wife for 36 years and golf has always been a part of my life. She doesn’t like the game and we have had many tiffs about the time spent on the course I used to feel the guilt sometimes and it would wreck the round ...... now after all these years together most days she puts my clubs by the door and tells me to get out lol

I love spending time with my family and I love golfing. I think an important aspect is to make sure that when you are home and with your family that you are 100% present and with them. Try to put as much effort into planning activities with your family as you put into planning a round of golf. Sometimes if our significant others feel like they are 2nd on the depth chart it will drastically change how they feel about golf.

For me, I play early in the morning on Saturdays. I don't play Sunday.
Sometimes this means I have to sacrifice playing with certain friends that have a different schedule but that is just what I have to do to make it work for me and my family.

I generally split the time on the weekend. I will ask if we have anything planned, then schedule accordingly. I try to get out and get my golf in early morning and be home by noon, that still leaves all day for the family.

Back