Balls .. how do you know which version/year?

chriso97

Mad Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
I've noticed a trend with golf balls that they keep the same brand and model number year to year despite making significant improvements.

E.g chrome soft has been around for some time but the 2018 version is significantly different to last years model.

I find this frustrating and would like to know how to tell which version I am using and more importantly which version I am buying (before I buy)

I did see "new and improved" on a box once which made me laugh as there is "new" is only relevant with a date attached.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

I know the packaging of the Bridgestone balls that I have been using for 8 or so years so know when each one came out. I find ProV1 and ProV1x all the time and have no clue which version I am hitting when I decide to play them. I'm sure I could look up the side stamp design to see which version it is but never bothered with it.

Balls .. how do you know which version/year?

I've noticed a trend with golf balls that they keep the same brand and model number year to year despite making significant improvements.

E.g chrome soft has been around for some time but the 2018 version is significantly different to last years model.

I find this frustrating and would like to know how to tell which version I am using and more importantly which version I am buying (before I buy)

I did see "new and improved" on a box once which made me laugh as there is "new" is only relevant with a date attached.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Open a sleeve and look at the markings on the ball. Each model submitted to the USGA for play has to have a unique identifiable marking on the ball. Usually it will be with a change in teh alignment/name logo.

33442f87c5c60a3fd158f48c9426fef3.jpg

pro-v1-over-the-years2.jpg

Back