Indoor Putting Practice

Phfat

Reaction score
Handicap
30 or so..
As my local hacker's playground is buried in snow for months at a time, I do lots of indoor Putting practice. What I have noticed is that carpet wear patterns can impart a kind of "contour" to the putting area that actually creates various breaks in the ball's path when it is on the way towards the "cup".

I was really surprised the first few times it happened: The ball would be tracking dead-on, and then take an inexplicable bend one way or the other...Eventually I discovered that it was the way the carpet has been walked on over the years that has produced this effect. Adds a little realism to my indoor Putting sessions! I have to learn how to try and read carpet breaks!

Next move is to try putting on hardwood floors...

Plus, I am getting used to my new Cleveland HB 6CS putter...what a great piece of machinery! Such a soft "pwok" off the milled face!

Growing up my dad would take us to his office building sometimes on weekends so he could catch up on some business. There was a single hallway that extended the entire length of the building (much like a hotel and similar length) and my dad had a putting cup built into the cement inside his office (his door was at the end of the hallway). Needless to say my brother and I would go all the way to the other end and try to make the putt. The hallway crossed over tile, wood, and carpet with many doors on either side (not to mention the reception desk area with granite pillars). Hours of entertainment, loud bangs, and a few made putts from end to end over the years.

It is important to vacuum the carpet, periodically, to ameliorate the effect that "game trails" can have on the putting surface. Also..you get brownie points for it.

It is important to vacuum the carpet, periodically, to ameliorate the effect that "game trails" can have on the putting surface. Also..you get brownie points for it.

I would hate to destroy the "character" of the course with over-grooming...

Back