Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

I'm wondering what a proper fitting and trying out a 10.5* head will do for me vs my 9*head set to +2|N

you'll be getting quite the fitting in a few short weeks.

I'm wondering what a proper fitting and trying out a 10.5* head will do for me vs my 9*head set to +2|N

O man I cannot wait to hit the GBB at the ECPC!

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I found out yesterday it does wonders for me. I don't even want to play the 9* anymore since the numbers with the 10.5 were great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found out yesterday it does wonders for me. I don't even want to play the 9* anymore since the numbers with the 10.5 were great

My only reason was spin. Hitting the 10.5* v 9* BBA815 the spin was ridiculously high with the 10.5*. I do feel like I'm sacrificing some carry distance, but can't wait to get dialed in. My main concern is spin and carry distance. The courses I normally play have forced carries off the tee and I need to make sure my driver is set up properly.

Matte & glossy:

537d12076ef3db70eb769eb2c1877293.jpg

de6cc89c6613428c7a2ff71a5f7ec3b2.jpg

It's crazy how much different the finish makes it look. They look like 2 completely different drivers at address

Have you noticed any difference in the sound, cookie? I remember someone saying the glossy paint made the driver have a higher pitched 'ping'... I'd be curious to hear your exoerience

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Call me crazy, but in black I actually prefer the matte color. In any other color, glossy all the way (except maybe white)

Call me crazy, but in black I actually prefer the matte color. In any other color, glossy all the way (except maybe white)

Nah, you're not crazy. I'm the same way. I wish I had the matte crown with the way that all black club looks on the bottom though with the black and white accents.

Have you noticed any difference in the sound, cookie? I remember someone saying the glossy paint made the driver have a higher pitched 'ping'... I'd be curious to hear your exoerience

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'll pay attention and report back.

My non matte model sounds just like the matte. Zero difference.

My non matte model sounds just like the matte. Zero difference.

Our foursome just confirm the same, not hearing a difference between the two models.

Weirdness going on with my udesign then...

Weirdness going on with my udesign then...
Absolutely two different sounds...don't even have to pay attention.

Very weird with everyone else not noticing it. You can't help but notice the difference between yours.

Our foursome just confirm the same, not hearing a difference between the two models.
I figured you all would. Hell I was hitting mine in a group last weekend with all 4 people playing GBB drivers and I didn't hear any difference there either.

I figured you all would. Hell I was hitting mine in a group last weekend with all 4 people playing GBB drivers and I didn't hear any difference there either.
Nutted always sounds good

Maybe it's just in the 816 models... who knows

Maybe it's just in the 816 models... who knows
Stupid me didn't even catch that. The Udesign 816 that you have is somewhere between the GBB and the Matte 816. Thread Title skimmer I am

Nah, you're not crazy. I'm the same way. I wish I had the matte crown with the way that all black club looks on the bottom though with the black and white accents.
Yeah that would be pretty nice.

First outdoor swings and round with the GBB today. Have to say I am real pleased! Couple of shots I know given where I hit them on the face would not have had as good a result as I did. After the round went back to the club and hit some on the range just to see how the carry and trajectory was there compared to my old driver. It was what I thought and hoped it was.

Absolutely hammered this on the range today. Using FlightScope and testing multiple clubs it was not only the longest for me (a couple were similar), but by far the most forgiving high and on the toe side, which are my two misses. There is something about a driver that gives you confidence on the tee box and I am not sure I have ever had it like I do with this one.

Played with THPers last week that commented that this was by far the farthest they have ever seen me hit off the tee, including a foursome with Tadashi70 whom I have played with numerous times and knows my distance.

lately, toe has been the constant miss with this. Currently I have two more shafts to try with the head but at this point, based on what the fitter was telling me, I will try and trade for a 10.5 head

Callaway says on toe misses to put the APW all the way to fade.

Works for me.

11/14 fairways today and the ones that missed were still playable. Distances were there and even on some heel tee shots the ball got out there to a nice distance.

Callaway says on toe misses to put the APW all the way to fade.

Works for me.

Unfortunately that is with APW all the way on fade. Probably just a swing issue right now

Unfortunately that is with APW all the way on fade. Probably just a swing issue right now

(Sorry) My hooks also occur when my arms get stuck...

When my arms are in front of me, the Purple Kiyoshi is a lot of fun with the GBB.

Last edited:
Back