Custom tailored rain pants

SliceCity

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a pair of Callaway rain pants that came from the UK (purchased on eBay NWT early last season). I am swimming in them even though I got a S/M, and because they were from the UK, returning them was going to cost more than the pants were worth so it's not an option. I tried selling them on eBay and got no luck. With spring season upon us, I'd like to be able to put them in play if possible as I could have used a pair last season on numerous occasions. I am a smaller guy at 5'7", 135lbs, so I do have trouble finding golf apparel that fits well a lot of the time, so simply buying a new pair probably isn't going to achieve a different result.

Does anyone have experience getting a pair of rain pants shortened and/or slimmed and tapered? Did you go for the fit of a normal pair of pants or leave them baggy/loose? Will they fit weird if I get them tailored to the specs of a nice pair of trousers I own? I do not plan on wearing these over top of other pants if that changes anything. What should I expect to pay to get something like this done?

Rain pants should definitely be quite loose and baggy, because they are designed to fit over your existing outfit.
Getting them tailored with the cuff to keep water out, might not be worth the cost.

Not being a smarta$$ but you may have some luck looking at women's rainpants. They have a more tapered cut in the legs and wouldn't be as baggy of a fit. And with most rainwear you can't tell they are "womens".

Rain pants should definitely be quite loose and baggy, because they are designed to fit over your existing outfit.
Getting them tailored with the cuff to keep water out, might not be worth the cost.

I would probably get them fitted without the intention of wearing a pair of pants under them, so I would be going for a more fitted look.

Not being a smarta$$ but you may have some luck looking at women's rainpants. They have a more tapered cut in the legs and wouldn't be as baggy of a fit. And with most rainwear you can't tell they are "womens".

I haven't necessarily looked at women's, but I have considered kids. For the price I don't see the benefit of buying a new pair versus just getting mine custom tailored. If I can get them custom tailored for the price of a new pair, I'd rather do that because I've already paid for the pants. They've been sitting in my closet for a year now.

I would look at Galvin Green. they have different waste sizes and pant lengths. I have short legs but am not what anyone would consider trim, so getting the L/Short worked perfect for me. Sounds like maybe a small/S might work, or as others mentioned maybe either women's or children's models might be an option from other brands.

I would probably get them fitted without the intention of wearing a pair of pants under them, so I would be going for a more fitted look.

I haven't necessarily looked at women's, but I have considered kids. For the price I don't see the benefit of buying a new pair versus just getting mine custom tailored. If I can get them custom tailored for the price of a new pair, I'd rather do that because I've already paid for the pants. They've been sitting in my closet for a year now.

The concern I would have with tailoring them is can they make the seams waterproof after they've cut them.

I had to get mine shortened 1" but was lucky as I had the extra length before the leg zippers came into play. I did not get them slimmed down, left as is, I believe the "bagginess" also keeps the outer layer further away (not touching) your inner layer thus assisting with the water repellency. Conclusion - give yourself some bagginess if you do decide to do some trimming. Don't worry what you look like, we all look like dorks in rain gear but at least we're dry. Good luck.

Don't worry what you look like, we all look like dorks in rain gear but at least we're dry.

I LOL'd at this. :D

I prefer them baggy as well since there is a 0% chance that I'm playing when it's raining or there's a high likelihood that it's going to rain. They'll only ever go over my pants or shorts if I get caught by surprise. I've worn them more off the course than on the course.

Skinny rain pants just sounds awful

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

I would look at Galvin Green. they have different waste sizes and pant lengths. I have short legs but am not what anyone would consider trim, so getting the L/Short worked perfect for me. Sounds like maybe a small/S might work, or as others mentioned maybe either women's or children's models might be an option from other brands.

I will take a look, thanks.

The concern I would have with tailoring them is can they make the seams waterproof after they've cut them.

Thank you for the input, and it is definitely a concern. I'm probably going to bring them to my tailor tonight and see what he says, but before I pull the trigger I was just seeing if anyone else went through this process before and the results because I'd hate to spend $60-$100 and lose the water resistant capability of the pants.

I had to get mine shortened 1" but was lucky as I had the extra length before the leg zippers came into play. I did not get them slimmed down, left as is, I believe the "bagginess" also keeps the outer layer further away (not touching) your inner layer thus assisting with the water repellency. Conclusion - give yourself some bagginess if you do decide to do some trimming. Don't worry what you look like, we all look like dorks in rain gear but at least we're dry. Good luck.

Not so worried about what I look like to others as much as I am having a pair of pants that at least fit and feel good. Right now I have an expensive pair of pants that I can't wear.

Skinny rain pants just sounds awful

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

I'm not going for skinny, but snow pants aren't in style either. Think of a nicely fitting pair of sweat pants in wind breaker material.

Just getting rain pants shortened should be ok. To get them slimmed, and/or tapered, the new seam would need to be waterproof tape seam sealed (check with REI, if you have one local, they may have a recommendation for someone that does repair work on waterproof apparel.)

As for my rain pants, I normally wear them over a pair of pants, so, they are somewhat loose. Ping rain pants are slimmer fitting, and, come in a variety of lengths(the inseams are true to length). I am 5'7'', too, but, with a 32 inch waist. The medium Ping Tour Eye rainpants I bought(29 inch inseam), might be a 1/2 inch shorter, than, desired.

Golf rain pants are designed to be put on and taken off during the round, which, accounts for the loose fit.

I prefer them loose so I can put them over my pants. I have played before with rain pants with nothing inside and it was horrible. feels like cling wrap, gets sweaty, and its not very breathable. it is meant to repel water and not absorb it. Maybe if you put on compression pants inside then put on the rain pants it would be better, but you need a lining for sure if you want to be comfortable.
I don't play a lot in the rain, and most of the time i put it on mid round when rain starts coming. Very few times I go out when it is already raining before I get to the course. I only play in the rain if it is a tournament, but if I am playing for fun, then I just rebook for another day. Playing in the rain isn't fun.
Shortening them shouldn't be a problem, but slimming them down could be since rain pants seal there seams so no water gets in.

Notice this thread got bumped a few days ago so thought I'd give an update.

Just getting rain pants shortened should be ok. To get them slimmed, and/or tapered, the new seam would need to be waterproof tape seam sealed (check with REI, if you have one local, they may have a recommendation for someone that does repair work on waterproof apparel.)

As for my rain pants, I normally wear them over a pair of pants, so, they are somewhat loose. Ping rain pants are slimmer fitting, and, come in a variety of lengths(the inseams are true to length). I am 5'7'', too, but, with a 32 inch waist. The medium Ping Tour Eye rainpants I bought(29 inch inseam), might be a 1/2 inch shorter, than, desired.

Golf rain pants are designed to be put on and taken off during the round, which, accounts for the loose fit.

I do have a REI near by that I have been meaning to go walk through. Maybe this weekend. I've seen the Ping rain pants, but for $80-$100 I would rather find a good tailor/seamstress than risk buying another pair that might not even fit right. They will remain a bit loose obviously as I am going to get them fitted with a pair of joggers on underneath. I am not getting them slim fitted/skinny, but right now they're currently snow pants.

I took them to my tailor that typically does my pants, but he was not comfortable slimming them because of the seam tape and what not. He had no problem shortening them, but didn't want to slim them. I called a higher end boutique that said they work on snow pants all the time and are very familiar with this type of gear. Just haven't had a chance to stop by after work and get fitted/priced to decide if it's worth it or if I should just try to find another pair. I will report when I do because I can't be the only that has found themselves in this situation.

I prefer them loose so I can put them over my pants. I have played before with rain pants with nothing inside and it was horrible. feels like cling wrap, gets sweaty, and its not very breathable. it is meant to repel water and not absorb it. Maybe if you put on compression pants inside then put on the rain pants it would be better, but you need a lining for sure if you want to be comfortable.
I don't play a lot in the rain, and most of the time i put it on mid round when rain starts coming. Very few times I go out when it is already raining before I get to the course. I only play in the rain if it is a tournament, but if I am playing for fun, then I just rebook for another day. Playing in the rain isn't fun.
Shortening them shouldn't be a problem, but slimming them down could be since rain pants seal there seams so no water gets in.

I would definitely wear pants/sweat pants/shorts on underneath them depending on the day. I live in WNY so we get pretty wet spring and fall seasons, summer being hit or miss. Have to get used to playing in the rain or not playing very often. If there is a threat of rain, I prefer to dress for it and remove clothes than have to put some on during the round after it already started raining.

Back