Graphite shafts losing stiffness over time

michaelb

Reaction score
Handicap
Interesting debate with friends today.

Will a graphite shaft (we were discussing driver shafts, fyi), lose a bit of their stiffness and thus performance attributes, over time and use?

For example, say 6 years ago you bought a Taylormade r1 with a stiff shaft, and play 50+ Rounds per year. 300 rounds and exposure to the elements later, does it still perform the same as day 1, or has it weakened a bit to play more like a regular or regular+ ?

As I've never had clubs that long, I have no idea. But curious to hear others thoughts.

I too avoid that problem altogether by buying new clubs all the time. I do have a graphite shafted driver that’s a decade old and I’d guess the shaft is still playing at the same stiffness.

My understanding is that graphite shafts do not lose stiffness over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you are dealing with a very cheap shaft made of less than desireable materials, I don't this you should see any decrease in stiffness over time/usage.

If @USTMamiya is lurking around, Danny could enlighten you.

Graphite shafts should not lose any stiffness or "wear out" over time. There is a THP TV mythbusters from the PGA Show a number of years ago with a leading designer and there are other episodes with Project X designer, Don Brown going over it as well. Some would argue they could wear out less than steel.

Graphite shafts should not lose any stiffness or "wear out" over time. There is a THP TV mythbusters from the PGA Show a number of years ago with a leading designer and there are other episodes with Project X designer, Don Brown going over it as well. Some would argue they could wear out less than steel.

Good to know JB, first time getting graphite shafts in my new irons

Ahh. Very cool and good to know. Thx JB!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my expert opinion based on 17 years of shaft design plus two degrees in materials engineering I can offer the following precise and highly scientific answer to your query.

NO.

In my expert opinion based on 17 years of shaft design plus two degrees in materials engineering I can offer the following precise and highly scientific answer to your query.

NO.
Don, you have a way with words. Haha

I've been told you'll go through countless numbers of heads and lose performance there WAAAAY before any graphite shaft will lose its playing characteristics.

I hope not. I seem to remember being told at THCE that they use the same supplier for their carbon fiber as Boeing do. Considering the Dreamliner is mostly made up of composite material, I don’t fancy flying in one if over time it’s gonna degrade LOL.

#FiberLaunch

NO.

After years of being on the Internet and my expertise as a professional google searcher (IT guy) I submit that this meets all criteria for as good an answer as you’re likely to get.

Gotta love it when the guy who knows the answer tells it straight.

Back