Odyssey O-Works EXO Putters

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The new O-Works EXO mallet putters probably caught your eye while going through our 2018 PGA Show coverage. Bringing a different look to both the body and face than anything Odyssey has done previously, the EXO is a multi-material concept that has been in the works for quite a while. The goal was higher moment of inertia (MOI) while not needing “a pizza box for a headcover”, as Sean Toulon says in the video at the link below.

Sean goes over how the sound is so important and how it was altered from White Hot to Exo and where MOI needs to fall. This is a really fascinating look at a putter launch from the creation process.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/odyssey-o-works-exo-putters/

That’s a great video! Sean really goes in depth, it’s pretty cool how much effort they’re putting in to hit a specific dB, taking into account how the golf ball has changed. These look awesome, and I really want to get a look at this new insert. I like the higher MOI with out needing the giant head. No pizza boxes. ?.

• Admin
Thank you. It was really early and way before the show actually opened, so fortunately my voice came back a little : )

Very interesting piece. Like the discussion about sound and the impact that face milling / type of inserts had on it. Never dawned on me that deeper face milling provided an outlet to keep down the sound but it makes perfect sense after hearing Mr. Toulon discuss it.

I feel so much smarter when it comes to putters after listening to Mr Toulon talk, can't wait to hear/see more feedback on these, I obviously love the red color, but sounds like they killed it with the insert as well!

I love that video. The fact that they have improved the Microhinge, which I thought was a great insert already, and brought it that close to the sound and feel of the White Hot will be a true winner. Not having to increase the size of the heads is huge also. I want to try the Rossie model so bad now!

Another awesome interview JB. These Tech talk videos are so informative. Your sound control in these videos are impressive. Normally in a show such as the PGA, one hears so much background noice it becomes a distraction.

Sean is so easy to listen to and you can see his enthusiasm about his product.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

A few takeaways from another great, informative piece.

* Had never known about the science of sound in putters. To get it to the level of what differences the human ear can pick up and what exact decibel level tour players prefer is wild to think about.

* These look better the more I see them. The lighting on the PGA show threw me off in the first pics, but that #7 is a looker.

* Liked the confidence level from Sean about how well he expects his putters to test on the new GCQuad came across very strongly. Their is a definite sense of pride on their products and roll enhancing technology.

Boy......it would be nice if Sean Toulon could brush up on his engineering, science, and design understanding and how it relates to putters for golf. :act-up::banana:
If anyone were to ever doubt why Callaway/Odyssey thought it was a good idea to purchase Toulon Design and integrate Sean into their putter engineering, this video should clear that up in no time. My word, what a plethora of well explained engineering and design jargon in layman's terms for us hackers to know what the hell he is talking about. Great video! Now give me that #7!!! LOL

Great great video! Learned a ton from it. Only nit pick is I found the popup about removing the badge a little distracting because it wasn't anything that I took notice of until it was pointed out and it took my attention away from the conversation for a brief moment. Otherwise great job!

Fascinating all the different things Sean and Odyssey think about on the flat stick. Amazing really. Never thought about the hinge causing sound variations. Looking forward in play my EXO 2 ball this year to really get a feel for this new face technology.

The EXO Indy was the one I loved looking at the most. Fantastic line of putters and happy that they are merging benefits together!

Just a question and I cannot remember if this was asked in the GD thread but were these even an option/choice/a thought for y’all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a question and I cannot remember if this was asked in the GD thread but were these even an option/choice/a thought for y’all?

Im not even sure they were available yet. Meaning I think they just had a select few samples.

Another great informative video. Just fascinated with details of technology relative to equipment and to hear it word for word one from one of the experts like Sean is super. Thanks again.....can't wait until the next one.

Nice little event tease

Im not even sure they were available yet. Meaning I think they just had a select few samples.

I see. Interesting to see the type of turn around on having very little to no product a month ago to we are going forward with the idea And it’s coming in may! Was it discussed at all during the tour or briefing on the first day?

I see. Interesting to see the type of turn around on having very little to no product a month ago to we are going forward with the idea And it’s coming in may! Was it discussed at all during the tour or briefing on the first day?

The putter was done, and they had samples, but were waiting on inventory. The club heads are not made in house.

Bump for the PM crowd. I know its a longer video, but Sean goes pretty deep into the tech for those that enjoy learning what happens during the creation period.

Mr. Toulon could be one of the easiest guys tech wise to listen yet. Seems very personable and eager for others to learn...

They were not- otherwise the 7s in my bag would have been a EXO 7s lol.

Loved the 'brick on a stick' analogy, but liked hearing the technology of getting less skid into more roll.... Also enjoyed Mr. Toulon's perspective of creating visual lust for the consumers... I am in lust :))

The putter was done, and they had samples, but were waiting on inventory. The club heads are not made in house.

Ohhh ok I gotcha. Thanks for the insight

I had never even thought about the depth of the milling affecting sound.

Love videos with Sean! And the pizza box cover comment was hilarious.

Back