Your focus/preference: Total Distance or Carry?

I think that even though most of us say we focus on carry distance we also all keep an eye on total distance as well. If I have two fitting options like the following I admit I'd be torn which one to pick.
Option 1:
250 Carry
254 Total
Option 2:
245 Carry
267 Total

I think that even though most of us say we focus on carry distance we also all keep an eye on total distance as well. If I have two fitting options like the following I admit I'd be torn which one to pick.
Option 1:
250 Carry
254 Total
Option 2:
245 Carry
267 Total
I'd want to know the peak height of both, that's usually my tie breaker.

Carry for everything but Driver. Driver is both as both have roles to play depending on the course.

Carry rules. Don't get me wrong, as a short hitter it's a great feeling to watch the ball roll forever during the summer. However, it's not something you can/should count on happening.

Short answer is it depends. For driver it is typically total but irons it is carry. But this is dependent on course and conditions.

Carry up to a certain number, then total distance.

Carry

For example - No point trying to carry a hazard at 250yds with driver because the total distance would get there when carry with driver is only 230yds with another 20-30yds of roll

I think carry is much more important especially for me in the conditions we have in spring and fall. But Im guilty of chasing the biggest number on monitors and thats always total

Carry is what I like knowing the number as it's a constant. Roll (total distance) is variable so I like to factor based on where I'm landing the ball and the conditions of the landing surface.

So Carry (constant) + Roll (variable) = total distance.

This is correct for my game! I wish the carry was longer though!

I think carry is much more important especially for me in the conditions we have in spring and fall. But Im guilty of chasing the biggest number on monitors and thats always total

Yeah 4 months of the year there is no roll around here. The best is when the driver backs up a yard

Carry

For example - No point trying to carry a hazard at 250yds with driver because the total distance would get there when carry with driver is only 230yds with another 20-30yds of roll

While this is true so is roll in that there is a creek crossing the fairway at 270 yards. Which knowing you carry 260 but then roll out to 280 gets you in the creek. That is why both are important IMO.

It is both for me.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Distance does not mean much if you can't carry certain features/hazards.

I like the total distance number, it really all comes down to it in the end and honestly, it's the number in that I pay most attention to

When I was in Arizona I cared about total because keeping the ball under the wind was a priority, and the fairways were usually very firm. These days carry matters more.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Carry. I have never counted on roll to give me extra distance.

It is all about carry. Conditions will dictate how much roll one gets and that will vary. Much easier for me to judge carry under different wind conditions than roll under different ground conditions. With irons into greens I am looking for drop and stop so it is all about carny there.

Carry is what I like knowing the number as it's a constant. Roll (total distance) is variable so I like to factor based on where I'm landing the ball and the conditions of the landing surface.

So Carry (constant) + Roll (variable) = total distance.

These days carry is the big focus. I want to know how far I can hit clubs on the fly to carry hazards.

With that said total will come in secondary for drivers and should be the make or break for what I game. It also affects irons as to how much roll out I get.

What they said. Too many times I've seen guys put it in the water on long par 3 with pond fronting it & say "It should've been enough club. I know I hit my "x" iron that distance" but they're thinking total distance. I want to carry hazards.

Back