Your focus/preference: Total Distance or Carry?

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Title says it all.

Do you prefer to max out total distance, or is carry the name of your game? Why?

Carry is the name of my game. While total disfrace is great, carry travels.

So many variables come into play with total distance that imo makes the stat misleading

Carry is what I like knowing the number as it's a constant. Roll (total distance) is variable so I like to factor based on where I'm landing the ball and the conditions of the landing surface.

So Carry (constant) + Roll (variable) = total distance.

Carry each and every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carry, I don't ever count on roll.

Carry is everything!

For me I focus more on total, but that's because there is almost no trouble at my home course so it's all about the entire shot, not just carrying it over something, even most greens can be run onto.

Roll doesn't factor very often on the courses I play. The few times it does; the result is usually bad. Dry conditions, around here of late, mean slightly less muddy.

Total for me. My ball descend angle is usually shallower than most. I rely on a good roll. The courses around me are usually dry (CA Draught), not too many troubles/hazards and firm. On a good drive, I'll carry 260 and roll 30. I'll take those anyday.

Carry distance because that travels everywhere and is the constant where total distance is dependent on factors outside of ones control and will vary from course to course and area to area. However I want a setup that maximizes both with the long clubs so that I get the most out of a club and with irons I want setup that gules me the best ability to stop a ball on the green.

The maximizing both carry and total is so,etching Danny Le and I talked about during my fitting with him in 2016. We had really good numbers with m2 paired with the gold shaft and with the helium we were able to improve carry and maximize total.

Carry more times than not.

Total sometimes with driver since my sweet swing flaw can generate roll anywhere

I look at carry. It’s consistent.

Total distance for me. What I mean by that is I'm unwilling to maximize carry with a higher ballflight as that tends to get me into more trouble more often.

I play a medium to med/high trajectory with driver and much prefer it from a personal accuracy standpoint. On days when the fairways are wet, sure I'm working a bit harder on second shots into greens. But I still carry the ball far enough where I don't view this as a negative, not yet anyway.

Positive tradeoff there is that I'm less affected by wind relative to others. I play more windy than wet days so I'll take it.

These days carry is the big focus. I want to know how far I can hit clubs on the fly to carry hazards.

With that said total will come in secondary for drivers and should be the make or break for what I game. It also affects irons as to how much roll out I get.

Hmm. Depends on the situation. If it's a normal shot with no trouble nearby I always play to a specific number say 155-157. However if there is trouble I always want the carry number first. Then I'll decide on whether to play the carry number or the actual number. I might be weird.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

It depends on the club. On the irons I would say carry as I want to hit a certain distance and not to keep rolling after. For the driver total. I know carry travels but when nearly all of my rounds are played in places I can get a huge amount of roll total distance is what matters there.

Has to be carry as there is not much Florida roll to contend with and I seem to have a high spin type of swing.

Maximizing your carry with proper spin will give you the best total distance. That is what I look for and it what my clubfitter does for me.
For too long I followed the masses thinking about high launch/low spin and ended up hitting drivers that spun too little and just fell out of the sky.

Title says it all.

Do you prefer to max out total distance, or is carry the name of your game? Why?

I like to understand both because each has its place during a round. Carry is more important for hitting into greens but total is more important when laying up to distances/spots to avoid trouble or for clubs selection on next shot.

Carry definitely. I don't care at all to go after additional distance in irons....only driver. Why? Cause I don't want to rely on additional roll/release which can vary GREATLY dependent on conditions. But I do sometimes have to play the total more than I like to, example is the course I've been playing often where it's rare to land an iron shot and have it stop there....much more of the carry to front of green for a middle pin location, etc.

I tend to have a very high ball flight so I usually get very little run out, but it's still about total distance.

Carry is all that matters mostly, and only thing that matters on irons. Now I do like to know how much roll out I get from drives but lines are picked off the tee with carry in mind. Now I am not going to give up 10 yards total for 1 yard extra carry or anything silly.

Carry distance for me because it allows me to pin point the location I’d like my shot to carry.

Carry is what I worry about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back