TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

Still loving this driver like no other. Although, after spending a lot of time with this I decided the 45.5" shaft length was too much for my preference. Decided to trim it down to 44.25" today, which is similar to where I've been playing my drivers. If the rain will hold off this weekend I'm hoping to get out for a round to keep working with it.

Are you compensating for the weight change Cace, or going to try it without changing it at first and go from there?

Finally got my M1 dialed in tonight. Using Full draw and high settings.
1fb429c02e0df1910b802463ca696102.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! So are you playing it at 12.5 or 11.5?

I'm playing it at standard loft 10.5 but using the upright setting.

Gotcha - thought you meant you were playing it in the "higher" setting for more loft.

Gotcha - thought you meant you were playing it in the "higher" setting for more loft.

Sorry about that. I should clarify that Its the draw setting in the lower weight and the highest setting in the back weight.

I hit Joe's M1 today a few times and was very impressed. My first shot with it was striped and way out there, while a couple others were a slightly mis hit and ended up terrific as well. A very muted sound at impact, but felt extremely smooth. I remembered I didn't really like the SLDR all that much on a LM and this seems to follow the trend. I liked this one a lot, but will be ignoring it until next season at the earliest.

I had my c+ tee game today but the M1 brought it's A game. Just love how I can control my misses and it's just stupid long.

Used my m1 for the first time on course. All I have to say is wow!

I am very impressed by the dispersion and forgiveness. Where in the past the ball would be lost way right it wasn't nearly as penal and almost as long.

I was averaging about 240 on my miss hits but the 3 I hit well were well over 260....

Have to work on my aoa to keep the spin down but so far so good!

Handled this yesterday. In hand and at address, it actually didn't impress me. Obviously this is subjective, but I felt like it say slightly open at address and I personally don't like the feeling. I didn't adjust it so that could be fixed as well, but I know I need to like looking down at something that "looks" right to me. Set at the stock setting, this one didn't do it for me.

I took about 5-10 swings with an XXIO, GBB, 915d2 and the M1 all on an outdoor Trackman this afternoon. Caveat that I've got a bad driver swing going right now and my back is stiff as a board from playing yesterday. But the M1 was the most consistent, straightest, highest SS and highest smash factor (1.51, 1.52) of this bunch. This was with KK in stiff, 10.5 head, weights back and centered. The one obviously bad mishit went way right and was about 20% shorter for overall distance vs the regular/good ones. I should also add that total distance numbers with the M1 (230s carry and projected total distance in the 250s) were not better than my current gamer, a G30.

Last edited:
Turns out I still love this driver. Consistently over 300yds for me and very forgiving. I hit the ****** out of this bad boy. The shaft head combo just seems to work for me. If I center this thing it's in between 295 and 310 for me. On miss hits its in the 280 range(minus the one today that was about 50yds right). No club will correct that poor of a swing. I should add These distances are according to the cart gps.

Wouldn't mind a LM session with this, as I am hearing some good things about it.

I took about 5-10 swings with an XXIO, GBB, 915d2 and the M1 all on an outdoor Trackman this afternoon. Caveat that I've got a bad driver swing going right now and my back is stiff as a board from playing yesterday. But the M1 was the most consistent, straightest, highest SS and highest smash factor (1.51, 1.52) of this bunch. This was with KK in stiff, 10.5 head, weights back and centered. The one obviously bad mishit went way right and was about 20% shorter for overall distance vs the regular/good ones. I should also add that total distance numbers with the M1 (high 230s carry and projected total distance in the 250s) were not better than my current gamer, a G30.
1.51 and 1.52 smash?

I think I'll put this 460 with px lz50 handcrafted 7.0 in the bag for tomorrow's round. Saw some interesting results at pga store monitor

The passive aggressive sarcasm when people post numbers/stats is growing absolutely tiresome

The passive aggressive sarcasm when people post numbers/stats is growing absolutely tiresome

I didnt see any passive agressive anything. Someone said they were struggling with their driver swing, but then posted what is considered better than perfect Smash Factor numbers. Normally that insinuates an issue with the launch monitor, so others pointing that out so Frank can evaluate seems like a pretty good idea.

It doesnt change that he clearly hit it better, he was there and nobody else was. But saying you dont have your driver swing and hitting it at 1.52 would suggest something was a bit off.

I think I'll put this 460 with px lz50 handcrafted 7.0 in the bag for tomorrow's round. Saw some interesting results at pga store monitor

Should be a good combo for you.

I didn't look at Smash every time - clearly it wasn't that number when I faded that one very badly, but the ones I remember were 1.51 and 1.52 with the M1. I remember a 1.48 with the Titleist. Based on distances alone it had to be way less with the XXIO. I don't know what to make of it, just reporting what I saw (my SS was a good 5mph less than average too).

I didn't look at Smash every time - clearly it wasn't that number when I faded that one very badly, but the ones I remember were 1.51 and 1.52 with the M1. I remember a 1.48 with the Titleist. Based on distances alone it had to be way less with the XXIO. I don't know what to make of it, just reporting what I saw (my SS was a good 5mph less than average too).

Thats all you can do T4K.
Sometimes depending on the launch monitor, smash factor is fixed and set by the store (simulation software). You see this quite a bit with GC2 stuff (not the monitor, but the software). Since yours was changing, it was merely you connecting perfectly on some shots, which is awesome.

I took about 5-10 swings with an XXIO, GBB, 915d2 and the M1 all on an outdoor Trackman this afternoon. Caveat that I've got a bad driver swing going right now and my back is stiff as a board from playing yesterday. But the M1 was the most consistent, straightest, highest SS and highest smash factor (1.51, 1.52) of this bunch. This was with KK in stiff, 10.5 head, weights back and centered. The one obviously bad mishit went way right and was about 20% shorter for overall distance vs the regular/good ones. I should also add that total distance numbers with the M1 (high 230s carry and projected total distance in the 250s) were not better than my current gamer, a G30.

I'd love to see you follow up somewhere else to see if the smash carries over, Frank!!! If you're at or ever near 1.50 you've found an amazing setup and I am JEALOUS! I think it's time to spend some time with M1 to see if i can sneak up to 1.50 as well!

Edit: Please note, I am genuinely jealous! I am not being passive or aggressive!

Can't wait to see where this one goes! What did you see?

Perhaps I should have been more careful with my words to make it clear those were the best ones and not imply they were averages.

Perhaps I should have been more careful with my words to make it clear those were the best ones and not imply they were averages.

Not necessary at all brother. Thanks for the feedback.
Even at the best ones, those are awesome and that setup clearly worked for you, which is the most important thing.

Man, even if they were your best that's awesome!

How wide was the gap, do you remember? Was there some decent retention of ball speed and smash across the face?

Back