Slow play??? (Waste Management)

chriso97

Mad Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Sitting here watching the 16th online (it's all I have access to) and I noticed something.

There is consistently nobody on the tee after the players hole out.

On my course (and anywhere I play) if the group in front are not on the green when you get on the tee of a par 3 you are a hole behind.

Is this deliberate in the pros? Should my expectation be different?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Well they definitely play slow golf out there, but one difference could be tee sheets and the amount of golfers in foursomes on a course.

Could be that players prefer not to step up to the markers until the green is clear. That way they don't have to start, stop, and re-start, their pre-shot routine.

The pros average 5 to 5.5 hours a round. I would NOT be happy with a five hour round at my course. We usually play in 3.5 -4 hours

They typically hold players back from approaching the tee since you have to go under a tunnel to get to 16.

I don’t really get affected by slow play on tour, if every group played in 3-4 hours tv coverage would be less and that means less money from ads and sponsors. Only time I care about slow play is when it affects my round.

I'm guessing the WM gallery, especially at 16, is happy for slow play. Slow play=more beer...?

Wishing Sir Nick would quit snore/wheezing out of his nose and into his mic...

They typically hold players back from approaching the tee since you have to go under a tunnel to get to 16.

Thanks, this was my assumption. They wouldn't want THAT gallary to erupt to the next group emerging from the tunnel while the group ahead was putting. Plus, some of those guys script an 'entrance' and that would be especially tough to manage. They are slooow though but think this instance has to be by design.

Yeah, I think players hold back before stepping out of the tunnel on that hole, they're hiding from the huge gallery.

Back