How do you measure a club's length?

TripleF

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm hoping to find a new (to me!) putter online but worried about getting the right length. I can measure my putters but not sure the "correct" way to do it!!

I set the club head on the floor in the normal address position & measure from where the heel of the club head contacts the floor to the top of the grip.

Seems like a lot of OEMs and people measure putters differently. I measure straight down the side of the shaft from the top of the grip to the sole of the putter. If I am ordering a putter, I always instruct them to send it 1/2' longer than I play it and with the grip just thrown in the box then I do the fitting to length myself when I receive it.

I lay it on a bench where I have a 48" ruler attached. I put the center of the sole at the 0" mark and measure from there. I learned to do it this way by measuring Scotty Cameron putters that were sold as 34" and that's where they hit the mark.

I always measure putters in playing position from the sweet spot to the top of the grip. For all other clubs, I measure in playing position from the back of the club to the top of the grip.

measure club.jpg

How to measure a club with 3rd grade art skills

Simply said and illustrated is always the best

You measure putters and irons differently. You measure putters strait down the shaft, through the head, and to the sole. That is the length of the putter. Here is a diagram of putters vs irons.

putter.jpg
length-measurement.jpg

I didn't actually measure the putter I built for myself, just put my hands on it and found what felt good and cut

sole the club neutral to the ground, then measure along the shaft plane to the end of the shaft

if there is a grip installed, measure to the notch between the cap and the grip portion

if there is no notch, measure to the end of the grip and subtract 1/8" (or 1/4" depending on grip)

if there is no clubhead, measure as above and add "standard" BBGM

if there is an adaptor, measure as above and use depth gauge or toothpick to measure depth of screw and subtract from overall measurement

sole the club neutral to the ground, then measure along the shaft plane to the end of the shaft

if there is a grip installed, measure to the notch between the cap and the grip portion

if there is no notch, measure to the end of the grip and subtract 1/8" (or 1/4" depending on grip)

if there is no clubhead, measure as above and add "standard" BBGM

if there is an adaptor, measure as above and use depth gauge or toothpick to measure depth of screw and subtract from overall measurement

I picked up a set of irons that were listed as "standard" but seem short compared to my current set.
So just to confirm, you don't measure to the very end of the grip or if you do, subtract 1/8"-1/4".

I picked up a set of irons that were listed as "standard" but seem short compared to my current set.
So just to confirm, you don't measure to the very end of the grip or if you do, subtract 1/8"-1/4".

I don’t believe there is a standard to this.
Some oems measure to the end of the shaft others to the end of the grip. If you measure to the shaft depending on the grip you would need to add about 1/8-3/8”. Or subtract if going the opposite way.

Always seemed to me that Cobra and Mizuno clubs ran shorter to spec than others so that tells me they measure to the end of the grip. Other oems like Callaway seem to run about 3/8” longer than specs if you measure to the end of the grip.

If the grip is on, you don't really have a choice. However, butt end of grips differ in size (obviously), but the end of the shaft is the end of the shaft and that doesn't change.

I mean when you are building a club you don't have a grip on so you measure and cut the shaft. Seems weird to include the grip.

Now when not building and measuring a club you don't have a choice so I would expect to get slightly off numbers depending on grip.

Back