What do look for in live sporting event?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
With the Super Bowl being players today and the PGA out in Phoenix, I was wondering what everyone looked for in a live sporting event.
Is it the social aspect? Seeing it live? What is it about being there that drives your passion

I’m not a fan of live events. I much prefer the comfort of my home and Big ass flat screens. But if I do go, it’s for the social side of it. Unless it’s just me and my son then it’s about the game and his enjoyment.

It depends what sport... golf and baseball live are just on another level when compared to watching it at home... something about the crack of the bat or the sound of a fastball hitting the catcher's mitt... you can feel it.

I think the energy you get from all the people when at a live event is insane. It's one thing hearing a Tiger crowd roar on TV but it's a entirely different experience being there live. Same with NBA playoff games, NHL, and NFL. The energy is just insane.

Baseball is amazing live....and as a washed up pitcher ill even admit boring as heck on TV. I love watching soccer but imagine its even better live. To me its all about the crowd and as a Cubs fan ive yet to be at a better venue than Wrigley.....MAYBE the old Chicago Stadium when MJ was rocking the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Being Canadian with hockey being our national sport, there was nothing better than a Montreal Canadiens playoff game in the old Montreal forum. The flooring was predominantly wood so when the crowd banged their feet it felt like the building was shaking, this energy and closeness to the action made the game amazing. Unfortunately the new arenas in both Montreal and Toronto don't have the same atmosphere.

I have also been to a significant number of Toronto Bluejay baseball games including playoffs games in the years the team won the WS and what made those games off the charts again was the energy of the home crowds especially given that the Blue Jays had great teams during that era.

I tend now to enjoy staying at home and watching an event on big screen as 4 of the last 5 games I have been to there was nothing on the line for the team, crowds weren't into playoff fever and the result was they were snoozefests to attend. If I am watching at home and game is boring I just change the channel or do something else like cruise THP.

Attending an event is more about the venue, for me, than the event. Once I've seen the elephant, however, I'd rather stay home.

Live is a totally different experience for me than watching on tv even though I don't attend much anymore.For example a NASCAR race is boring to me on tv, but the noise and the excitement of the crowd, along with the sense of speed is so much better in person.The same for a Panthers NFL game or Tarheels college basketball game for me.

There is no such thing as a bad live sporting event. Even sports I have zero interest in are enjoyable. I went to a Sharks Blackhawks game a while back and loved it. Watched exactly zero ice hockey games since.
TV does a great job of diminishing the atmosphere, speed, power, noise, pretty much everything that’s important in most sports IMO.

#FiberLaunch

Being a part of your team. Nothing better than cheering on your team and enjoying their triumphs. I also like yelling obnoxiously at the other team (while keeping it semi-classy).

Hockey and baseball are my games and they are such different live experiences. Hockey is great live for the physical aspect and the skill those players possess is unworldly. Baseball is just a great experience, shagging BP fly balls, cracking jokes on the visitors, having a beer, sharing America’s game with the kiddos. They are also family time and I have some great memories with friends and family that are memories that will last a lifetime.

I think the one thing that can never be replicated when watching at home compared to being there watching it live is the atmosphere, regardless of the sport

Some events you won't see as much as you would on the TV, but at the same time you will most likely see things that would be missed on TV

I’m not a fan of live events. I much prefer the comfort of my home and Big ass flat screens. But if I do go, it’s for the social side of it. Unless it’s just me and my son then it’s about the game and his enjoyment.

That's the way I see it now. In a perfect world I would get to several of each of my pro teams games a year (four that I care about - Wolves, Wild, Vikings, Twins)

Well not several Vikings games because we only have about 8-10 of them a year, but about that. Then throw in a college team/game here or there.

The main thing is to do it with my father/family. Other than that, watching from home is definitely more convenient.

Fun crowds, mostly. Decent sight lines aren't bad, but I go to an event to sing and yell and drink beer and give the other team a hard time and maybe even watch a sport of some kind. Yes, I do prefer soccer and minor league hockey, how'd you guess?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Atmosphere, memories, control.

Atmosphere: You said social aspect, but I think the better word is atmosphere. I want to experience what it's like to be around the green when Tiger Woods makes a 15 foot putt to force a playoff and I am there to witness and experience total chaos and excitement.

Memories: Growing up, my dad would take me to basketball games where we would eat malt cups using flat wooden spoons that tasted like the smell of homedepot. He also took me to two PGA Championships and I got to see all of my favorite players.

Control: When you watch it on television, there is only one camera and whoever is on is who you are watching. When you are at the event, whether that be golf, basketball, football, etc... you are in total control of what you do and see.

I completely agree that not having to push your way through crowds and paying absurd amounts of money is a great reason to stay home. In fact, I enjoy that I can be completely alone and watch my events in the comfort of my own home. However, sometimes there is an itch that cannot be scratched by watching it on television and I'm willing to sacrifice some things in order to have those experiences.

Back