Are You Captain Material?

Honestly not sure about captaining a golf team. I was captain of my High school soccer team for 3 years, and did a pretty good job of it, and relished the role. But, golfs a different sport, and I'm not nearly as good at it or have the same background and experience that I do in soccer. I think it would be fun to give it a shot though.

:shrug: It happens

I definitely assumed you didn't.

Peacock.gif

I sometimes act as captain in my line of work, and it's not as glamorous as it sounds. There's a lot of shepherding and consultations that need to go on, and there's this feeling where I'm acting on the behalf of the group, rather than myself.

It's no longer a trend to be acting unilaterally on anything, and there were times I had to sacrifice my own wants for the team.

I had to wear more formal clothes when I really wanted to wear shorts if I wasn't the leader.

The job I hate the most is working with prima donnas who feel they're at par or higher than the leadership. I almost left a guy once at the hotel because he was taking forever to join the group and we were late for a flight.

But if the guys are great, then why not?

I have no doubt in my mind I could make a very solid captain

Not sure, but I would give it my best shot.

Based on attitude and pure love of the game I would say yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The traits of an effective leader include the following:

• Emotional stability. Good leaders must be able to tolerate frustration and stress - Nope
  • Dominance - Yep
  • Enthusiasm - Yep
  • Conscientiousness - Yep
  • Social boldness - Hahahaha, Yup
  • Tough-mindedness - Yup
  • Self-assurance - Nope
  • Compulsiveness - In spades.

8 out of 10 aint bad.

I enjoyed my opportunity during the Morgan Cup. There is certainly more to it than I expected going in and I know I made mistakes. I thought I did a solid a job and think I can learn from my experience and improve if I got another chance. Maybe my team would be the best people to answer this question?

Wouldn't have wanted to play for anyone else buddy

I have been the captain/manager of other sports teams and I think I could handle the role of captain for a golf team.

No problem being a captain. I am basically one in life as it is.

Nah. Just let me play.

I'm going to say no. My sense of humor doesn't always lead to be people wanting to be my friend.

Nope. I make a far better team member than team leader. I can help refine ideas, but I'm not terribly good at coming up with them myself. I think I'd make a good assistant, like a First Sergeant to a Company Commander, but in terms of being the man in charge, it's just not my bag, as a general rule.

I believe I would make a good playing captain, but so much a non-playing captain. I have too much of a desire to be directly part of the action to be able to just watch the action from the sidelines. Not that I would not strongly encourage and cheer on each and every one of member of my team that was playing, I just know I would rather be part of the action and playing in that scenario.

I would be a good captain. I can motivate people, I have no problem making a decision "for the greater good", and I can be a Richard if need be.

Nope. Not even close. Not yet anyway. I could be a leader as a teammate, but not a Captain.

I'm wth you in this one. I'd like to think I could but i don't think so. Not yet anyway.

I make a solid captain n coke but for leadership just let me play.

I used to think so but now not so sure.

Short answer yes.
I have led teams of people with very good success, not afraid to give praise or criticism, and expect nothing that I'd be unwilling to do.

There are many facets to what make people succeed, it's the captains job to find it, and make the individuals realize potential.

Simple really.

So, yes, I would make a good captain.

I used to think so but now not so sure.
I disagree. You'd be a very good Captain. Diplomatic when needed, a teacher when needed, a friend when needed, a hard ass when needed. I'd follow you for sure!

I'm a very competitive kind of guy. I have managed and captained may sports teams before. I think I can pick a good team based on talents. I would've won the 2014 Ryder Cup if I were chosen to captain instead of Watson.

I doubt it. I have too much of a competitive outlook to keep myself in check which I find a great captain can do

Yep.

Back