The 2015 Grandaddy Live Update Thread - The Golf Trip Of A Lifetime

Don't be nervous lol that's a good one. It's something you wanna tell people but almost impossible not to happen. At least for me it was. Holes 17 and 18 in singles was the most nervous I've ever been standing over a golf ball

Don't be nervous lol that's a good one. It's something you wanna tell people but almost impossible not to happen. At least for me it was. Holes 17 and 18 in singles was the most nervous I've ever been standing over a golf ball

Not easy holes either. As you saw on 17, gotta be careful on that layup. 18 tee shot too isn't a picknick!

Not easy holes either. As you saw on 17, gotta be careful on that layup. 18 tee shot too isn't a picknick!

18 becomes so much harder after you have your first three putt and blow a chance to win a match on 17 lol

18 becomes so much harder after you have your first three putt and blow a chance to win a match on 17 lol

There would have been some heat coming off the ball on 18 if I were in your position.

Can you share some of the clutch shots or putts that you guys remember?
Got up and down from the #4 tee box after nearly killing Jman's group... shot was 60ish yards out, over a bush, pond, and bunker. Halved the hole to not go 3 DN

Hit a 50ft slick downhill, right to left breaker for birdie on #10 to steal a hole back from JROD on the Clive course.

My favorite came on the 18th in the match against Harry and Dnevs. Had a really tough, short-sided downhill/sidehill lie in the rough from about 30 ish yards away. I hit it short of my landing area and it stayed in the rough about 5 yards off of the green. Harry proceeds to chip it 1ft away and makes par. This was for our match, and I did not want to let PhillyV down, I needed hole-out to win, get up and down to tie... and honestly was a little shaken from that first flubbed chip. Made a great chip that I thought was going in... just under the hole... settled to 1.5ft.

PhillyV and Chad were fun to watch. He already listed a few good ones. I can't remember which hole on the back 9, but both were in the same bunker about 130ish out... no farther than 5 yards from each other. Chad steps up and hits one crisp just left of the hole... tons of pressure on PhillyV in a tight match and he steps up and pures one out of the bunker as well... just gorgeous. That and he nutted a 3 wood off of 18tee after hitting a so-so drive and then 3 putting the 17th... a lot of heart in this guy!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Got up and down from the #4 tee box after nearly killing Jman's group... shot was 60ish yards out, over a bush, pond, and bunker. Halved the hole to not go 3 DN

Hit a 50ft slick downhill, right to left breaker for birdie on #10 to steal a hole back from JROD on the Clive course.

My favorite came on the 18th in the match against Harry and Dnevs. Had a really tough, short-sided downhill/sidehill lie in the rough from about 30 ish yards away. I hit it short of my landing area and it stayed in the rough about 5 yards off of the green. Harry proceeds to chip it 1ft away and makes par. This was for our match, and I did not want to let PhillyV down, I needed hole-out to win, get up and down to tie... and honestly was a little shaken from that first flubbed chip. Made a great chip that I thought was going in... just under the hole... settled to 1.5ft.

PhillyV and Chad were fun to watch. He already listed a few good ones. I can't remember which hole on the back 9, but both were in the same bunker about 130ish out... no farther than 5 yards from each other. Chad steps up and hits one crisp just left of the hole... tons of pressure on PhillyV in a tight match and he steps up and pures one out of the bunker as well... just gorgeous. That and he nutted a 3 wood off of 18tee after hitting a so-so drive and then 3 putting the 17th... a lot of heart in this guy!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Your up and down on 18 on the Pete Dye course was fantastic

Ok Grandaddy guys...self evaluation time.

1. How did you play? Meaning did your game meet the expectations you set for yourself?

2. Piggybacking off of number 1...did your handicap travel well for this event?

3. What did you do well during your rounds?

4. What did you do not so well?

5. Everyone had fun and thats great but we all know losing blows. What would you have done differently to possibly put you in a better position to play better?

6. Seeing that most of you had not golfed together before, did you find your games complimented each other in the respective formats? Did it take some getting used to at all?

7. What feedback can you give potential future grandaddy-ers to help hopefully bring that belt to THP.

Thanks in advance

1) I'm not at all mad about my play. Had a few bug misses, but man I hit a lot of solid golf shots too. Just couldn't make a putt, lipped out 4 or 5 against Harry in singles, and he does NOT miss.

2) Better than I anticipated.

3) Short game was really really good, 60 and in actually, and a ton of fun.

4) Didn't do well and putting driver away. With a 260+ 3w I finally figured out in singles that it was the better play for me on those courses and lengths. When you see everyone else in your group with driver though, it can be mentally taxing on committing to hitting less.

5) I wouldn't change anything. I laid my heart and soul out on this for almost 2 years, and theres a much bigger picture in play here. It's hard to describe for people who haven't experienced it though, yeah it's a competition, but its so so so much more, its an experience of a lifetime.

6) Loved the groups and pairings, wouldn't change a single one. In the end, it's golf, golf is fun.

7) Don't lose sight of the big picture because of the drive of competition. Its fun, for everyone, and if you lose that concept you have issues and will look back on regret. I had 3 zoo crew guys comment to me or others in the group how amazed they were by how we (THP'ers) were out there, we could focus on a shot, but after it was hit, we were smiling laughing and cheering on their good shots. Ethan stuck one to 2 feet on Neb and I, a true dagger, and I ran up to him happy as I could be because it was an amazing golf shot, same with Harry in singles. The looks on their faces were priceless, golf is, and always should be, fun. One can be competitive and still be fun, no need for Mr. Overserious out there imo.

I miss my team. A lot. I could not be more proud.

Looking forward to reading through this thread in its entirety over the next few days. I was only able to read a few posts here and there to try to keep track of what was going on last week.

I miss my team. A lot. I could not be more proud.

Only a phone call and 15 minutes away. Even if it's to grab lunch or dinner. I had an absolute blast with all of you this week.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Another word of advice to next years guys. Hydrate. No matter what. You may not be sweating but that heat is dry heat and you don't think it's that bad but if you don't hydrate you'll feel it the next day. I probably drank 10 cans of Gatorade and that wasn't enough

Another word of advice to next years guys. Hydrate. No matter what. You may not be sweating but that heat is dry heat and you don't think it's that bad but if you don't hydrate you'll feel it the next day. I probably drank 10 cans of Gatorade and that wasn't enough

Hydrating always is an important one, especially if one starts throwing in other beverages as well. Comfort stations are there for a reason, use em.

So true. I was out that way years ago in the military and it seemed like I always had water with me.

That's a fact, my last trip to palm springs I was pounding fluids back. Triple digit temps will suck it out out of you so fast.

If I have to volunteer as water boy to get there, I will.

That being said, the Hideaway staff is second to none, they will take care of that if asked!

And some form of chap stick is a must!

1. How did you play? Meaning did your game meet the expectations you set for yourself?

5. Everyone had fun and thats great but we all know losing blows. What would you have done differently to possibly put you in a better position to play better?

6. Seeing that most of you had not golfed together before, did you find your games complimented each other in the respective formats? Did it take some getting used to at all?

7. What feedback can you give potential future grandaddy-ers to help hopefully bring that belt to THP.

Thanks in advance

On day 1 I played like crap. If I had to guess, I'd say it was due to the expectations I placed on myself and being so dang tense; I couldn't figure out how to let it go and just play golf until my round with James where he talked me out of my funk. I feel like on day 2 I played much better. I still lost, but AJ is a hell of a player, and it wasn't as much me giving it away like on day 1 as him just taking it with solid play. I believe he ended up shooting a 76.

Nope. I had been trending up for awhile, and I played like it should have been much higher, at least on day 1.

Comfort stations. :alien: Really though I would say my fairway woods were good both rounds, and my irons were hit well for the most part.

My short game really sucked day 1. It was really on at ECPC, but then I got out to the course and it's like I forgot how to chip, and the greens took a while to get used to; very fast compared to what I'm used to and I don't generally have the best touch anyway.

Honestly, for me and my mental midget status, I think worrying about bringing the belt home was the wrong approach and put a ton more pressure on myself. Had I taken James' advice and focused on fun and went in with proper expectations like I did at the King, I think I would have played better. Realize that it is a competition, but that's only one part of this event.

The pairings were no issue, I played so bad on day 1 Colin was playing by himself most of the day it seemed. Personalities weren't an issue though.

Set realistic expectations, and have fun. Following along for the last 2 years, I don't know that I realized just how formidable the zoo crew is, and how seriously they take this event. I was going to the range or the course every weekend leading up to this; some of them were going to the range every night leading up to this. Not to mention, they're just great golfers. Seeing AJ golf his ball both days and Finley golf on Wednesday, they just don't miss at all.

I can think of 2 that I'm really proud of.

Day 1, hole 18 (par 5), first shot goes in the water, 2 shots later and I'm looking at 215 or something into the pin, and the caddie says "water right and trouble left, you need 215 to carry or you can lay up", my response: "I didn't come here to lay up" and pipe a 5w dead straight and actually roll it over the green.

Day 2, hole 6, end up in a greenside bunker, hit a decent shot out but have about 15 feet downhill putt. Caddie gives me the line and pace, and I drained it center of the cup to win a hole where I wasn't getting a stroke.

The 2015 Grandaddy Live Update Thread - The Golf Trip Of A Lifetime

290cbd7d9f627dae06e5f3fa12925477.jpg

5306add33a014c4812d513c54dba03ce.jpg

f0a9dc4ccf92fe53b369fe7d83d7c725.jpg

cdfe07e3776f7c475b0f8fb60b97b693.jpg

ddff299a9919aea1ea399cb785c25f42.jpg

5d3b1f679bbbd8f7d0ac92d52574b808.jpg

9636e8e61f313ed0166f5e84a99aaa2e.jpg

e7d49e99fa4541f331e2dafd324da85d.jpg

2e00109183239c404eb9f7924d6ba39c.jpg
390eb2f1969f8072522a88ffe6545a7c.jpg

My mind just exploded after seeing these pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree here, I was pounding the waters and gatorades at every comfort station. Then hitting the bloodie's and blueberry lemonades during play ;)

And some form of chap stick is a must!

This is one thing I missed and am paying for it now. I have been worse but it wasn't pleasant flying home

Thanks in advance

Great questions.

1.) I thought I played well and as expected. I drove the ball better then I was expecting to, both accuracy and distance. The one thing that I could have done better on day 1 was putting. I burnt the edge on 2 or 3 holes, and if those puts fall it probably means a few wins instead of ties.

2.) Yes, I think so. All of our matches came down to the wire. I shot a net 70 in singles, and played one of the best rounds I've played in a long time. It was good to see all the practice I put in paying off.

3.) I drove the ball really well for the most part. Also hit some really good chips with my MD3 wedges. In singles, I was putting lights out. 2 putt machine, didn't matter the distance. Knocking long ones close, or draining clutch 6 footers.

4.) Putting on day one was off. I just wasn't putting the way I was normally used to. Part of it was getting used to the quicker (for me) greens.

5.) Try to relax more in the beginning. It's hard because everyone is amped up from all the excitement.

6.) I was with Mikey_G all 3 rounds, and we couldn't have played better together. I was hitting good drives in the shamble and he was killing the long and mid iron approach shots. Mentally, we were on the same page from hole 1 on. In fact, the member we were with asked me how long we had known each other and when I told him 2 days he couldn't believe it. Said we played like old buddies. Great pairing by captain Jman, but I don't think he could have gone wrong with anyone in this group.

7.) Find fast greens and practice on them as much as possible. These greens were much faster than I was used to. Have fun! Look up and realize where you are at, what you are doing, and how special it is. Do this at least once a hole, and once an hour when not playing. So glad I did, it really puts things in perspective.

I'm curious about what you guys thought of the two courses? ie. Did you have a preference? What was your favorite part of each?

When I saw that you guys were starting on the Dye Course, I was nervous. That course can be wicked!

They were both extraordinary, but I preferred the Clive course. Just so many "post card" holes on that course. It seemed like coming off every green the member told us, "wait until you see the next hole."

I have a few, one was on the Clive in singles play. I pulled a 6 iron layup shot into the native area (knee high grass/weeds). Our caddie found it right away and said you can "probably" get a club on it and punch out to the fairway. Green was 160 away, so I grab an 8 iron and punch out, ended up hitting in front of the green and just rolling off to the back fringe. The caddie and member (and myself) were pretty impressed. Ethan ended up getting par on that hole and I halved it with him, which was huge, kept my momentum going.

Outside of Driving on the first 3 or 4 holes on Tuesday with Texashacker saving us with great drives in Shamble, I played my typical golf. Shots were longer for me with these clubs, no doubt about that, but for my game what I saw was pretty typical. Good drives turned into good holes in spots and good drives turn to mediocre that's golf, since I also turned some mediocre drives into great holes with great recoveries. I met all expectations for myself by far, very happy with my play overall.

I think it did, but I can't say what I shot because I never kept score on anything other than the hole and then marked if I won it, lost it, or halved it. I have no idea what I shot because I was focused on match play. Hole to hole.

Driving after 4 holes of Day 1, and by far Putting Day 2, dropped some great putts that were necessary.

Iron play from 7-Aw was not as accurate as I have been at home but I think lack of confidence in knowing my gaps got me mentally here, I know I will be more accurate over time, I also feel like my lie angle being 2 up from the standard lie I was playing that I wasn't fit for May have made a huge difference I kept playing for my cut and hitting it straight or slight draw.

Nothing, we played golf and had an absolute blast, I could watch, the folks I played with, Jman, Texashacker, Cdpkook, Finley, Rhi, Pete, and Harry golf their ball along side me any day of the week! I was as big a fan of each and every one of those folks as much as I was myself golfing this week!

I felt great with Texashacker, we definitely rode the highs and lows and picked each other up when needed, and I love being able to talk through shots together,it was awesome! We halved a 9 and lost by 1 on the second 9 to a natural birdie from Finley, did I mention he can golf his ball!

Third 9 Cdpkook and I got taken to the cleaners by Finley and Pete, we just didn't find a groove but our games would have melded together nicely, just ran into a buzz saw.

Singles riding with Jman, what a great cart are for me. Like I said before, I like to talk through shots and I bounced ideas off Jman all day, I was very comfortable with him and his game and trusted him immediately for feedback. That stuff is priceless to me.

Have fun, golf your ball as best you can. Be prepared to watch some great golf being played around you as well. We are varying handicaps and you may play with the Club Pro or Club Champion, that's not your game. You golf your ball and have fun and cheer on everyone you are golfing with, if your not doing that already, your golfing wrong!

Back