"No thanks, I'm a Taylormade guy..."

I'm not brand loyal in anyway. However, after my odyssey works 7h CS arrived today, I now play a full Callaway bag minus driver. The g30 is very safe and I honestly have never been crazy about callaway's drivers. This is by far the most of one brand I have ever played at a time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

But have you tried the Alpha 816 DBD? It is a heavier club like the G-30 but the weight felt more balanced through the club to me.

But have you tried the Alpha 816 DBD? It is a heavier club like the G-30 but the weight felt more balanced through the club to me.
Not other than a few swings on the monitor where I hit terribly with every club. I'm done with golf purchases for the year so I'm going to pretend I would hate it.

Not other than a few swings on the monitor where I hit terribly with every club. I'm done with golf purchases for the year so I'm going to pretend I would hate it.

I couldn't hit the G-30 worth a damn but the DBD felt great.

Hope that was tongue-in-cheek given your WITB.
Those are his #THPLegacy clubs, he was given that full bag thanks to the generosity of THP, Wilson Staff, KBS, and Lamkin.

It's pretty Internet golfer to make snap judgements about a player by what the list in their witb

I just play/buy what I swing well. Pretty simple for me, I hit the range/monitor with multiple different manufacturers and buy the one which swung/felt the best.

I like my new Titleist driver. It goes well with my Nike 3 wood and Srixon irons! :D

I'm brand loyal, but not to the degree of that guy. I'll hit/try something else to see if it will work. If something is going to significantly help my game, I'd be crazy not to switch.

I am not brand loyal but I do have match ocd problems. As new stuff invades my bag I might need to switch to that different brand, whatever it ends up being.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm totally brand loyal. I'm a Callaway homer to the bone. Doesn't mean I won't try something new, but it does mean if performance is equal, or close -- within the variance of my bogey-golfer swing -- I'm going to go with Callaway every single time. It's nothing against other brands, and I might be tempted to take Cobra gear, but Callaway just has my heart.

For the record, it's less to do with performance and more to do with service and treatment. I was talking about this with the fellows I played with this morning, who pointed out that I seem to have a Callaway bent, given my bag, clubs, ball, hat, attire, and shoes. We got to talking about it, and most everyone in Arizona knows someone who has gone to the Ping Performance Center and gotten a first-class Ping fitting. There's a good chance that's the first time a lot of Arizona golfers have gotten a set of clubs with a lot of confidence that those are the clubs they're fitted for, the clubs they're supposed to be hitting. As a result of that confidence and the treatment, they happily become Ping homers. As someone with a bag of open-catalog, custom-fitted Callaways, I completely understand. It's not about discounting other manufacturers. But I'm far more likely to look at what I don't like about other company's clubs, and I'm far more likely to look at what I do like about Callaway's clubs. That confidence is a byproduct of their treatment of their clients, and it makes total sense why a company would want to give so many people with influence their products, and why they would want to treat those people like rock stars in general.

I can understand this type of brand loyalty, and it's the reason why for shafts going forward, I will ALWAYS look to Project X first if I'm reshafting anything and the performance is comparable.

However, I haven't had that type of over the top fitting experience with any single brand yet, plus I hear about amazing experiences from most of the brands on THP, so my mishmash of a bag reflects that. Although, there are brands I look to first due to THP involvement:

-Callaway
-W/S
-Bridgestone
-Cleveland/Srixon

Then everybody else. Not that it stops me from gaming gear from other manufacturers if I really like it (i.e. my Piretti, Nike driver, and likely soon to be TM driver), but something has to impress me to get there.

Previously I had a very mixed bag and to this day I still love to hit every manufacturer's product, simply because I love golf equipment. But that being said, I have been bought off by the generosity and fun that comes with a Callaway event like the #Grandaddy. I'm not ashamed to admit it, everything will have to beat a Callaway option for the rest of my life simply because of what they did for me.

Case in point, earlier this year I was looking to replace the hybrid that I got at the #Grandaddy. I ended up really liking an Adams offering and would have happily gamed it. Then I wandered over to see if Callaway had a similar small profile option and began hitting the XR Pro. Turns out the numbers and flight were better and I bought the Callaway. I would have been happy with the Adams but its gotta be special to make it into my bag.

I'm a TaylorMade guy as well but if someone put another brand club in my hand to try I wouldn't scoff at it like this guy did.

Also, if another brand club would go further and straighter then I'd certainly swap my loyalty. I'm not getting a check from TMag so who cares :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's certain brands I tend to stick to. But I'm definitely not all for 1 brand. In my bag now I have a Callway driver, Nike 3 wood, adams hybrids, mizuno irons, titelist and callway wedges, lol. But I get it that some people like to stick to 1 brand.

I'm a TaylorMade guy as well but if someone put another brand club in my hand to try I wouldn't scoff at it like this guy did.

Also, if another brand club would go further and straighter then I'd certainly swap my loyalty. I'm not getting a check from TMag so who cares :)

I'm right there with you - if they aren't giving me something in return, why would I give my full attention to one brand? Sponsored athletes - yes - be loyal and slap a sticker on your car for the free clubs, bag, and minimal travel budget. But average Joe should have zero reason to give free advertising to companies who control the livelihood of their real marketing - the athletes...and yes there are many, many of them you'll never hear about, living out of their car with a spanking new set of clubs. At least they know at the end of the year, they can sell the old set and pay for a month of gas. Maybe...

I just looked in my bag and it is pretty diverse.
TM driver.
B Stone 3 wood
Adams Hybrid
Srixon irons
Ping wedges (50 and 54)
Callaway PM 60 degree
See More putter.

I think its pretty obvious I am not a "homer" to any company :D

My bag is the same way. I dont really care what brand it is as long as it works for me and I have confidence in it(and the price is right). The only brand I seem really loyal to is odyssey. I have always played odyssey putters and have 4 of them at home right now. Not something I do on purpose though.
Golf is such a confidence/feel thing. Some people want the best club for them no matter what brand and some just want a certain brand because it is in their head that it is the best for them. Whatever does it for you I guess. Golf is hard, picking clubs is a fun part of it.

I'm not so much brand loyal but I might stick with one brand because of shafts. I know I have a few shafts that I like a lot in TM or Cally tips so I would only buy outside those brands if I find something that clearly outperforms them. I would just prefer to be lazy and not have to take off and glue new tips every time I want to try a new head. I wouldn't turn away someone offering me a demo though.

The original TaylorMade Pittsburgh Persimmon 5-wood was set at 23º.
The present TaylorMade AeroBurner TP 5-wood is set at 18º.

The OEMs stamp a "9" on 23º fairway metals now.

I'm not a TaylorMade guy.
I'm a vintage club guy.

As for shafts, I've in recent years done UST 65 Golds on metals and Aldila NV Pro 105s on irons and wedges.
I may be ready for lighter shafts on my irons now as well. I'm not sure what, but they will match one another if nothing else.

My sticks have to pass the test of the driving range, or if possible, the golf course. It doesn't matter what brand they are. I'm finding it very difficult to buy a club I can't try or haven't tried.

My sticks have to pass the test of the driving range, or if possible, the golf course. It doesn't matter what brand they are. I'm finding it very difficult to buy a club I can't try or haven't tried.

I've bought at least as many clubs blind than I have with having had the opportunity of hitting them first. If I like the picture of the clubhead, it will be fine. I've owned too many clubheads to not know what I'm going to like. The lie angles, shafts, and grips have to be right, but I can tell by sight if I'm going to like a clubhead or not.

The larger problem is finding a modern club that fits my eye better than all the vintage sets in my basement. They've all gotten too different from what I've played for decades.

Attachments

• Vintage TaylorMade-Wilson Set.jpg
    Vintage TaylorMade-Wilson Set.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 0
I'm sure it's been said already, but I'm not one brand loyal, but there are only a few I will put in the bag and a couple I will not consider, TM being one of them. I don't care if it gets me 15 extra yards... I'll gladly club up on the next one if I have to.

I wasn't quite this close minded, but i'll admit... i used to have some strong tendencies where i would give certain manufacturers first crack at what i was going to get.

Taylormade Drivers
Exotics woods
Mizuno/Cleveland Irons
Cleveland Wedges

This site has opened me up to more possibilities... but looking at my sig... old habits die hard
Until December.

I'm not shocked that there are people out there that are that brand loyal. I'm not one of them, for the obvious reason of wanting the equipment that is most effective for my game.

Golf clubs attract brand loyalists just like cars. I know plenty of people that are loyal Honda, Toyota, BMW, or Audi owners. Ford and Chevy Trucks seem to garner loyalty just like Callaway and Taylormade.

I never thought when I first posted this story, there would be a 8 page thread about brand preference.

Great responses from all involved...

Dax

I've bought at least as many clubs blind than I have with having had the opportunity of hitting them first. If I like the picture of the clubhead, it will be fine. I've owned too many clubheads to not know what I'm going to like. The lie angles, shafts, and grips have to be right, but I can tell by sight if I'm going to like a clubhead or not.

The larger problem is finding a modern club that fits my eye better than all the vintage sets in my basement. They've all gotten too different from what I've played for decades.

Then I bet you must have at least 30 models sitting in your basement?

I had to restrain myself from buying and try before I buy because the inventory was starting to grow uncomfortably. It's one thing to be fond of gear, it's another to have the inventory of a pro shop.

Back