The 2015-16 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Precedent has been set now. If he doesn't reach title game then he's no better than what UGA let go. Great debate on a GT website I frequent that Richt is the best coach ever to be fired anywhere. We'll see what Smart can do. Interesting that they are hiring defense minded coach when offense was the clear problem this year. Wonder who he gets for OC. Hearing anything?

Love Richt as a person, but if you look at who he beat year in and year out, he won a ton of games, but really made a living beating Tech and Auburn. Tennessee has been garbage for a decade (love ya Rancey), Kentucky is always terrible, Vandy is Vandy. He was 5-10 against Florida. Carolina pre-Spurrier was awful. The year he beat Bama, Bama also lost to Louisiana-Monroe. The times he played Ole Miss and Miss State, they were bad. His '02 SEC Championship was against an Arkansas team coached by Houston Nutt. UGA should've been in the SEC title game yearly, except the time Tebow was at Florida. It was time for a change. I'm glad he's gone because he was 10-5 against Auburn :alien: (Auburn was 12-5-1 over the past 18 before Richt)

Looking forward to seeing where Richt lands. Can't believe Carolina wouldn't at least talk to him.

Love Richt as a person, but if you look at who he beat year in and year out, he won a ton of games, but really made a living beating Tech and Auburn. Tennessee has been garbage for a decade (love ya Rancey), Kentucky is always terrible, Vandy is Vandy. He was 5-10 against Florida. Carolina pre-Spurrier was awful. The year he beat Bama, Bama also lost to Louisiana-Monroe. The times he played Ole Miss and Miss State, they were bad. His '02 SEC Championship was against an Arkansas team coached by Houston Nutt. UGA should've been in the SEC title game yearly, except the time Tebow was at Florida. It was time for a change. I'm glad he's gone because he was 10-5 against Auburn :alien: (Auburn was 12-5-1 over the past 18 before Richt)

Looking forward to seeing where Richt lands. Can't believe Carolina wouldn't at least talk to him.

Agreed, he struggled against UF, Bama, and even though he handled Auburn pretty regularly, he only managed to beat a GOOD Auburn team in 2006, and arguably in 2007 and 2002 as well. He accomplished alot at UGA, but he showed no signs of being able to compete on an elite level.

I still believe he ends up taking a year off, 33 years is a long grind with that kind of pressure. He looked 10 years younger at the press conference on Monday than he did at the post game interview on Saturday.

Agreed, he struggled against UF, Bama, and even though he handled Auburn pretty regularly, he only managed to beat a GOOD Auburn team in 2006, and arguably in 2007 and 2002 as well. He accomplished alot at UGA, but he showed no signs of being able to compete on an elite level.

Geez, don't remind me about '06. That one still stings. That was such a good team. And UGA rolled in and just beat the hell out of Auburn.

I still believe he ends up taking a year off, 33 years is a long grind with that kind of pressure. He looked 10 years younger at the press conference on Monday than he did at the post game interview on Saturday.

Can't believe he's only 55. He looked 65 at points during this season. The Miami job just makes too much sense. They need him down there to clean that mess up, but I'm not sure he wants a mess to clean up.

He was actually 3-2 against Bama. Just sayin'.

He was actually 3-2 against Bama. Just sayin'.

3-3 I'm pretty sure, but 0-3 in the Saban era. Bama was pretty average during that time.

3-3 I'm pretty sure, but 0-3 in the Saban era. Bama was pretty average during that time.

Yeah, I think that is right. 3-3 but still, he was not owned by Bama just Saban. Many folks can say that.

Lincoln Riley to South Carolina? Ugh ... hate to lose him before the CFP.

If they OFFER, he'd be a dumba** to say no. But I think he would take Memphis too if they offered.

That said, I've also heard OU is ready to up the ante pay wise and tear up his current contract. Shame he hasn't been here longer or the whole "head coach in waiting" thing could be in play. He's going to make a PHENOMENAL head coach.

It'll be a loss that hurts OU, bad bad. But, Leach left after one season too, and the train kept rolling for some time, so who knows.

I think that's a sneaky good hire for Carolina if they go that route. DC head coaches outside of Saban and Tuberville in the SEC haven't done well in a long time.

Would be a hell of a hire.

Him there and Dykes in Mizzou possibly, would be the intro of TRUE air raid offense to the SEC.

Yeah, I think that is right. 3-3 but still, he was not owned by Bama just Saban. Many folks can say that.

Your right, I should have said "lately"

He was certainly a very good coach. There aren't many who can put out A consistently very good team year after year. But it's clear the Georgia boosters want more. It's a gamble, we will see how it plays out.

I hope we pay him, give him assistant head coach title with agreement he is next head coach.
I am a HUGE lincoln riley fan.
I will keep my fingers crossed

If they OFFER, he'd be a dumba** to say no. But I think he would take Memphis too if they offered.

That said, I've also heard OU is ready to up the ante pay wise and tear up his current contract. Shame he hasn't been here longer or the whole "head coach in waiting" thing could be in play. He's going to make a PHENOMENAL head coach.

It'll be a loss that hurts OU, bad bad. But, Leach left after one season too, and the train kept rolling for some time, so who knows.

I hope we pay him, give him assistant head coach title with agreement he is next head coach.
I am a HUGE lincoln riley fan.
I will keep my fingers crossed

Oh me too. Hearing his interviews and how he interacts, I'm a fan no matter what. I'd be all for them throwing anything and everything at him.

If he wants to HC, yeah ... USC is a good place to land a first HC position (SEC, Columbia SC is a decent place to live, SEC East is down). As for "head coach in waiting", I'll be honest, I figured based on two things, that OU would go after Justin Fuente when the time came. The two things would of course be how much longer does Bob stick around, and how does Justin's tenure at Virgina Tech go during that same time frame. Justin has the Oklahoma ties, so figured he'd get at least strong consideration if things continue to click for him (and I don't see why they wouldn't). Of course, given that we're looking at potentially (if the fan base doesn't turn on Stoops) a long time frame, that's a huge "what if".

But if Riley does go this year ... it's going to hurt really bad in the playoffs.

Question ... out of the four prospective teams, which ones are most likely to lose their OC/DC's and which teams will be negatively impacted the most? Obviously for OU, Riley is a hot commodity, but Mike Stoops isn't going anywhere.

Looks like ND versus Florida State in the fiesta (prediction) . Be fun to play against golson

Question ... out of the four prospective teams, which ones are most likely to lose their OC/DC's and which teams will be negatively impacted the most? Obviously for OU, Riley is a hot commodity, but Mike Stoops isn't going anywhere.

Venables is probably gone from Clemson, I'd assume. I think Riley would be a bigger loss than Venables, but I'm not a huge Venables fan.

Looks like ND versus Florida State in the fiesta (prediction) . Be fun to play against golson

Golson isn't playing anymore. My guess is that ND plays the loser of the B1GCG instead of FSU in the Fiesta. I'd rather play Iowa or FSU than Iowa.

Venables is probably gone from Clemson, I'd assume. I think Riley would be a bigger loss than Venables, but I'm not a huge Venables fan.

He's overdue for a HC job. Will make a really good HC, has all the qualities you want there IMO.

I agree with this a lot.

Ultimately, I think Richt's biggest downfall was not taking over the SEC East when Florida and Tennessee were both down. Watching Mizzou play -- TWICE-- in the SECCG because of stupid losses for UGA did not sit well. Watching a Florida team that has pushed offensive football back 30 years headed to Atlanta (after mauling UGA) was the final nail in the coffin.

I think Richt can do great things still. But, he will likely need to change his offensive philosophy if he wants to be successful in college. UGA tried too hard to make great college QBs into WRs, TEs, and DBs in recruiting.

Final note -- someone on Atlanta sports radio suggested that Richt join the Falcons as a QB coach this season. I bet he could fix Ryan.

I bet BV is waiting for the K-State job to open up. Could be wrong, but that's my guess. His alma mater.

If he wants to HC, yeah ... USC is a good place to land a first HC position (SEC, Columbia SC is a decent place to live, SEC East is down). As for "head coach in waiting", I'll be honest, I figured based on two things, that OU would go after Justin Fuente when the time came. The two things would of course be how much longer does Bob stick around, and how does Justin's tenure at Virgina Tech go during that same time frame. Justin has the Oklahoma ties, so figured he'd get at least strong consideration if things continue to click for him (and I don't see why they wouldn't). Of course, given that we're looking at potentially (if the fan base doesn't turn on Stoops) a long time frame, that's a huge "what if".

But if Riley does go this year ... it's going to hurt really bad in the playoffs.

The best coaches in OU's history?

Bud? Barry? Bob?

Minnesota. Arkansas. Iowa.

Not coaches with ties. Those coaches have never panned out well. Just saying.

I bet BV is waiting for the K-State job to open up. Could be wrong, but that's my guess. His alma mater.

Yep, I think so too. Was surprised he passed on it last time.

Reports indicate that Missouri is interviewing Cal coach Sonny Dykes for their open job. That seems like a step backwards for Missouri. Would they really hire Dykes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any word from regional folks in the know about this? What's the word out there about Mizzou's interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back