Titleist 716 AP2 Irons - THP Review Thread

Titleist knows how to do it right.. classy looking set of irons here... can't wait to see what you think

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Well, these were intersting today.

I'm mobile now so thoughts will be short with more when I get to a laptop, but theyre AP2's.

Definitely lean towards better ball strikers in size and what they do/dont provide on misses and with their smaller profile.

Sound is improved, still a solid and firm nature to it, but not as high pitched clicky as the 714s.

Played a LOT like the 714 for me to be honest, eerily so really. Same can be said for the ap1.

I'm mobile now so thoughts will be short with more when I get to a laptop, but theyre AP2's.

Definitely lean towards better ball strikers in size and what they do/dont provide on misses and with their smaller profile.

Sound is improved, still a solid and firm nature to it, but not as high pitched clicky as the 714s.

Played a LOT like the 714 for me to be honest, eerily so really. Same can be said for the ap1.

i have hit this years AP2's and compared them with the 714's. The clubs are similar to me as well, not enough diff for me to buy the new series. The AP1's however do not perform the same as the last version IMO, this years model is easier to get in the air, higher ball flight with more distance.

i have hit this years AP2's and compared them with the 714's. The clubs are similar to me as well, not enough diff for me to buy the new series. The AP1's however do not perform the same as the last version IMO, this years model is easier to get in the air, higher ball flight with more distance.
Everyone is definitely different, but that's not really what I've seen thus far, but I'll get into that more in the ap1 thread later on.

Everyone is definitely different, but that's not really what I've seen thus far, but I'll get into that more in the ap1 thread later on.

Absolutley! Have fun with the tests! ��

thats what I saw the two times I demo'd them against each other. Looking forward to what you initial thoughts are

thats what I saw the two times I demo'd them against each other. Looking forward to what you initial thoughts are
I'll be honest, I was sort of expecting a "Holy crap" moment with some of the buzz I've read on these, but it just didn't happen today. Now, that DOES NOT mean I'm saying they aren't performers, I'm just saying they're eerily like the 714 so far. Will be interesting to take numbers off my monitor soon and compare to my notes from the 714 review.

I'll be honest, I was sort of expecting a "Holy crap" moment with some of the buzz I've read on these, but it just didn't happen today. Now, that DOES NOT mean I'm saying they aren't performers, I'm just saying they're eerily like the 714 so far. Will be interesting to take numbers off my monitor soon and compare to my notes from the 714 review.

I'm with you on this Jman. The split tungsten weighting didn't really bare fruit for me. I like the feel, but the 716 certainly didn't have a wow factor over the 714.

For me the size is a bit bigger than my current gamers.

Titleist ran a demo day at my club today and I had a chance to spend an hour or so with these and a titleist fitter. I'll preface this by saying I was a 714 hater. Hated the looks, the feel and the sound. I know I'm in the minority on that but I really disliked them.

e 716 ap2s however are a different bag altogether in my opinion. The look is much improved and the sound and feel are dramatically improved in my mind. I loved the amt s300 shaft. I loved how it worked throughout the set. The distance was significantly longer then my current gamers. A full club which was a huge surprise to me. I can't say enough about these and they will find their way into my bag. Whether that is next week or January depends on how fast my other clubs sell!

Not surprised to hear this. So far it has been the sentiment of others and what I have seen. Any thoughts on the amt shaft?

I've been lusting a bit over the 2's for a while, but maybe not as much after these thoughts. I would expect each of their releases to present a notable improvement from the last. I like the idea of better sound, and don't fear the profile, but I was hoping for a "WOW" report.

Not surprised to hear this. So far it has been the sentiment of others and what I have seen. Any thoughts on the amt shaft?
I enjoyed it a lot in the 4i, definitely flatter trajectory as you go to the 7i and the PW. Would love time with a full set eventually.

That said, they are definitely still DG shafts for sure feel and launch wise.
I've been lusting a bit over the 2's for a while, but maybe not as much after these thoughts. I would expect each of their releases to present a notable improvement from the last. I like the idea of better sound, and don't fear the profile, but I was hoping for a "WOW" report.
I look at it as there's only so much you can do in a profile this size. I've no doubt I'll see some changes in the numbers, but I can safely say on course it was practically identical to what I saw with the 714 from the same spots on my course.

Really looking forward to this review as well. The entire set would have been nice. Regardless, I'm sure you'll make the best of it with your usual honest unbiased thoughts. Good luck man. These are on my radar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favorite irons, gawd I love these
I was thinking the same thing. Haven't hit them yet....but I'm planning a trip tonight to give them a spin. I've got the MP25s right now and I really like them, but the AP2s always call out to me....

I look at it as there's only so much you can do in a profile this size. I've no doubt I'll see some changes in the numbers, but I can safely say on course it was practically identical to what I saw with the 714 from the same spots on my course.
It's interesting that you say that, because that's kind of where I am with the MP25s right now when compared to the MP54s and MP15s. Love the look, the feel is different and I've not really been blown away by them. Like you said though, there's only so much you can do in a head this size. They look dead sexy though.

It's interesting that you say that, because that's kind of where I am with the MP25s right now when compared to the MP54s and MP15s. Love the look, the feel is different and I've not really been blown away by them. Like you said though, there's only so much you can do in a head this size. They look dead sexy though.

Yep yep, yesterday was more of the same line of revelation for these with what I put them through. I'll be honest and say that I feel like the shafts differentiated themselves more than the 716 vs 714.

That all said, nice penetrating flight, improved feel with that added bit of density, good turf interaction, as we know already the tungsten works, and solid but not earth shattering distances. Seeing about 170-175 out of the 7i which is right on what I've expected. There is still definitely a pretty good level of demand with these, but I think that most who look at an iron of this profile size understand that going in. Still want to collect a bit more hard data (numbers wise) but what I am seeing is about a 30.7y peak average from these, and thats on a really nice penetrating line.

Yep yep, yesterday was more of the same line of revelation for these with what I put them through. I'll be honest and say that I feel like the shafts differentiated themselves more than the 716 vs 714.

That all said, nice penetrating flight, improved feel with that added bit of density, good turf interaction, as we know already the tungsten works, and solid but not earth shattering distances. Seeing about 170-175 out of the 7i which is right on what I've expected. There is still definitely a pretty good level of demand with these, but I think that most who look at an iron of this profile size understand that going in. Still want to collect a bit more hard data (numbers wise) but what I am seeing is about a 30.7y peak average from these, and thats on a really nice penetrating line.

Good numbers right there Jman!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I spent a day and a half thinking about this and went ahead and had my pro order me the set I was fitted into. Will sell my other sets this week to pay for it.

Was just too good for me at fitting. It really was an eye opener, especially with my strong feelings against the 714 line in ap1 and 2. Really did not expect this to happen!

I think these sound miles better than the 714's. The sound alone would sell me on these over the old ones if I was in the market for either one. Performance is right about the same, and might give the nod to the 714's based on looks, but sound is huge with me, and the 714's produce way too much of a click for my liking while these really don't much at all anymore.

I think these sound miles better than the 714's. The sound alone would sell me on these over the old ones if I was in the market for either one. Performance is right about the same, and might give the nod to the 714's based on looks, but sound is huge with me, and the 714's produce way too much of a click for my liking while these really don't much at all anymore.

Which is an interesting subject as while I agree with you on the sound, many long time Titleist users I've let hit these (and talked to prior to getting some in to work with for this review) were bothered by the lack of "that Titleist click" as one put it.

I'm there with you on all points personally though. Still a but surprised I've not seen the drastic differences one would expect given the drastic aesthetics change.

Which is an interesting subject as while I agree with you on the sound, many long time Titleist users I've let hit these (and talked to prior to getting some in to work with for this review) were bothered by the lack of "that Titleist click" as one put it.

I'm there with you on all points personally though. Still a but surprised I've not seen the drastic differences one would expect given the drastic aesthetics change.

To me sound between both 714 and 716 was very similar. I agree that performance was very similar and wasn't enough difference to make me spend money on the 716s and would have gone 714 if I went the Titleist route.

I was hoping with the design change and the new look that there would be better performance in the 716. IMO if someone chooses the 716s they will get solid irons.

I don't know how much difference your going to see between the two, and for that matter how much difference anyone is going to see between different generations of the same iron. At the amateur rank I don't feel like I have enough talent to truly depict the subtle changes that are being done on just the heads alone. Granted when you start changing shaft offering and things of that nature that possibly impact the flight characteristics it's a bit more negligible, but in just head composition I know I'd be lying if I said I could see a huge difference.

Hi, I am curious that when the clubs are provided to you, regardless of the manufacture, are the lies, length, shaft preference and grip size all fit for you? Or do you get clubs off the shelf? As well, I see you currently use hollow irons, do you prefer hollow and or cavity back to blades? I came from blades and recently switched to cavity backs and both have very different playability.

thanks for the continued updates, I look forward to more info!

To me sound between both 714 and 716 was very similar. I agree that performance was very similar and wasn't enough difference to make me spend money on the 716s and would have gone 714 if I went the Titleist route.

I was hoping with the design change and the new look that there would be better performance in the 716. IMO if someone chooses the 716s they will get solid irons.

To the bold, definitely agree, and the same can be said if they go 714. Solid irons both ways for sure, and definitely what I think we would all expect from Titleist there.

Based off preliminary data, there are some spin differences, but nothing drastic. While I agree with Kevin too, I did thini with some of the ballyhoo we have heard, there would be a more significant jump be it through launch or speed retention, but heck there may still be some in there, my time with these three irons is still early.

Hi, I am curious that when the clubs are provided to you, regardless of the manufacture, are the lies, length, shaft preference and grip size all fit for you? Or do you get clubs off the shelf? As well, I see you currently use hollow irons, do you prefer hollow and or cavity back to blades? I came from blades and recently switched to cavity backs and both have very different playability.

thanks for the continued updates, I look forward to more info!

All reviewers here play stock/standard setups in all specs for 99% of reviews, since that's how the vaaaaaaaaaaaast majority of golfers play these clubs after they go pick them up off the shelf.

I've reviewed I believe 20+ sets that were all across the spectrum, from true blades to the most sgi of sgi irons, so none of that bothers me.

Back