Famous People you've met?

John F Kennedy, I was 12 at my uncle's graduation at Harvard. JFK was running for President that summer so he was campaigning, he was happy to meet each member of our family who were there for the graduation.

Wow, dude, that's incredible!

Non-golf: Jerome Bettis, Clay Walker, Alan Jackson, George Strait and no I am not a huge country fan. Also a bunch of players from the Houston Texans while I was doing some work at ILB Demeco Ryans place. Almost forgot, I met Drew Bledsoe the year he got injured and right before Tom Brady became a breakout superstar for the Patriots.

Golf: Davis Love III lives on Sea Island which is not that far from where I grew up and currently reside. Seen him in a few restaurants and a few other local places over there.

Only names that come to mind are Geoff Ogilvy, Marc Leishman, Gary Woodland, and Charlie Beljan. Met each one two years ago while working The Farmers. Spoke with Leishman for about two holes on the back 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golf: Met Rickie Fowler at AT&T national at congressional.

Nongolf: Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Steve Tasker, Lavar Arrington

John F Kennedy, I was 12 at my uncle's graduation at Harvard. JFK was running for President that summer so he was campaigning, he was happy to meet each member of our family who were there for the graduation.
Thread winner

Roger Cleveland is tops when it comes to golf.

Met Bob Feller and Cal Ripken Jr. through the Rochester Red Wings. Ripken was playing for Red Wings when I was kid and Feller was in town to sign autographs.

Met Coach K and a slew of college basketball coaches through coaching clinics and covering games.

I met Bobby Knight once and had my picture taken with him. Of course he was an @ss but an legend in Indiana. Also met Richard Petty and some other race car drivers at Indy through my brother who sold parts to many of the Indy car teams in the 80's & 90's.

I'm not really the star struck type. They stink up a restroom just like the rest of us! :beat-up:

When I was a new father, and a poor Airman in the AF, I worked with a card/memorabilia dealer (in Phoenix) doing setup and tear down and even standing in line for autographs. Also, it was around this time that they built up the spring training in Peoria, AZ that afforded me some opportunities. There were also occasions just to go to certain events or be lucky enough to have great seats or something that my guy had gotten.

It was around the 92-93 range so got to meet some incredible superstars of that era. I can never remember them all, but there are some that really stand out.
Ryne Sandberg wasn't very friendly.
The Griffeys are the coolest.
Mattingly
Greg Maddox
Frank Thomas
Piazza
Ventura
Larkin
Sparky Anderson
Bo Jackson
and tons of other baseball guys.

Kevin Johnson of the Suns stood and talked to us for 10 minutes.
Charles Barkley tried to go incognito to some spring training games; busted.
Steve Alford (IU fans will appreciate that, maybe)
Digger Phelps
The Van Arsdales (old school)

Tons of old Indy 500 racers. Both of my grandfathers worked at the track all of May when I was a child.

Dominik Hasik
Manon Rheaume
Brett Hull
Most of the Miracle on Ice team (tremendous!)
Dozens of old WHA players

Lynn Swann
LC Greenwood
Ara Parseghian (a damn dream, there!)
Merlin Olson
Elway (also not very friendly)

More recently, and all golf;
Nick Price
Kenny Perry
Crenshaw
Ellie Day (I only held the door for her and said hi, but WOW!)

But here's maybe the greatest meeting ever. I was working a show with my guy, Vic, at the community center or something in a city park in Tempe, AZ. My wife came to pick me up (about 4 months prego) and as I buttoned up some things and told Vic I'd be leaving, Jennifer took off outside to wait on me. A few minutes go by and I go looking for her. Can't find her anywhere. I walk around the corner of the building and see her in the distance talking with some gentlemen at a door. I give a wave and head her way. As I'm walking up and get closer, I realize just who it is that she's talking to--Freaking Frank Robinson!! You know, one of the greatest ball players ever, number retired by TWO teams, legend.
I get close and he puts his arm around her shoulder, points at me, and asks her, with a laugh, if she knows me or am I bothering her. Of course, she said I was probably going to bother her, and he gave me a scowl. Then he busted out laughing and extended his hand. Greatest. Handshake. Ever. Considering I was a huge Reds fan and grew up idolizing all their players.
It turns out they'd been chatting for like ten minutes and the wife had NO IDEA who he was. Not a clue. She was perplexed by my obvious thrill in meeting this guy that she'd just met and was chatting up. How do you politely explain that she'd just met one of the best players of all time? When we talk about it today, all she says was, he was a really nice guy. I had no idea who he was, lol.

And Sposey....I effing hate you right now. Bench is my all time favorite idol/god of all time. I've never been able to meet him.

So did they vote for him?

I have met several golfers, but meeting Gary Player at the Sirius XM radio town hall event was by far the most memorable and enjoyable. I met Jonathan Byrd and Webb Simpson at the same Chick-fil-A in St. Simons.

Non-golf related I have met Dennis Miller and David Spade when they were on tour together. Fred McGriff, Ryan Klesko, and Javier Lopez at a Braves event. I had the honor of meeting Bobby Bowden briefly at a speaking event on the first anniversary of the September 11th attacks. I met Rusty Wallace of NASCAR in Atlanta. And Steve Harvey at the Tour Championship. Seems like there are probably a few more, but that is all that in can think if with a tummy full of Thanksgiving goodness.

Almost all of mine are musicians - Gwen Stefani and the rest of No Doubt, 311, I've hung out with the guys from King's X multiple times and they were just so down to earth & nice (complete opposite of Ms Stefani). I used to go to the same gym as Mark Megna, a former NFL player while he was still in the league. Want to feel completely inadequate? Try lifting weights next to someone like that. Talk about a joke...

On the author side, my good friend's wife is a NYT best selling YA author, so I'll count her :) - Stephanie Perkins. I also got to meet and chat with John Green one night, very friendly.

Can't say I've "met" any golfers aside from chatting with them very quickly at the few events I've been to.

My father met a number of great bands before they were famous, most particularly Queen and The Eagles. He said the guys from Queen were great fun to hang around and drink with, and Don Henley was a giant flaming a-hole long before he had any right to be.

I taught LeBron everything he knows...about Physics. Other than that I got nothing.

You must not have taught him very well since he had to resort to playing basketball to make a living :D

Probably my biggest is that Tony Romo is from my hometown and his family are friends with my family. We babysat for his sisters kid way back in the day. Have had the chance to meet a lot of big time college basketball coaches through working camps, recruiting, etc. Most notably are probably Bo Ryan, Rick Pitino, Buzz Williams, Fran McCaffery, Tony Bennett, dick Bennett. Another coach I talked with is John Beilien (my absolute favorite coach), I was at an aau event and he was standing next to me for a little bit, then he asked me where a certain court or gym was. I tried to tell him but I must have sounded like the stupidest person in the world because of how nervous I was.
I got to coach Tobias Harris in a 5 star camp when he was in 8th grade. He was my second round pick.
Working camps at places like Louisville, Wisconsin, Marquette, 5 star, etc has let me be around and meet some really good players too.

Met all of these as a bartender during my college days-

NonGolf- Dusty Baker, Warren Moon, Barry Bonds, Charles Woodson, Clyde Drexler,

Golf- I walked inside the ropes at the SHO with the family of Billy Ray Brown. Followed him in a pairing with Freddy Couples and talked to Couples a good 45 minutes after his round. Such an awesome ambassador for the game and I was a fan for life.

Golf world- President Ford, Bob Hope, Phil Mickelson, Corey Pavin, Nick Watney (age 7), Paul Stankowski, Harvey Penick, Arnold Palmer, Lee Trevino, Chi Chi Rodriguez, Laura Davies

Non golf - U2, Madonna, O.J., Larry Hagman, George Kennedy, Junior Seau, Lucille Ball, Sela Ward, First Lady Ford, Mike Ditka. Working for a major airline for 24 years. There has been a lot of sightings and introductions. This list are those that stand out. Many I met more than once. Some like President and Mrs. Ford, U2, Bob Hope were frequent.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Famous Non-Golfers:
Oprah Winfrey- back when she was a reporter for WBAL in Baltimore. Actor Thomas F. Wilson - played Biff in the Back to the Future movies. Robert Palmer - "Simply Irresistible" and "Addicted to Love" very funny guy. TV Personality Montel Williams - Cool guy and gradate of the Naval Academy. Former Baltimore Mayor Kurt Schmoke. Former Maryland Governor Parris Glendening. Former Maryland Lt Governor and RNC Chairman Michael Steele. Former U. S. Senator Al D'Amato. Former TV Business Journalist Terri Keenan - a college friend, lovely person who sadly passed suddenly last year. Baseball Hall of Famers Whitey Ford, Cal Ripken, Jr and Gary Carter. Former Baltimore Oriole Ken Singleton. Former NFL QB and Heisman Trophy winner Vinny Testaverde - known him since high school. Best Selling Author Tom Clancy.

Famous Golfers:
Bernhard Langer - Attended the same church when I lived in Boca Raton. Reserved man but always friendly. My sister is a good friend of his wife.
Ken Duke - Was a neighbor of my parent in Boca Raton. Nice guy with a great family.

Looking back I've met a good number of well known people. I am certain the meetings are more memorable to me than them!

Have met many...

Non-Golfers:
Emmitt Smith
Jerry Rice
John Elway
Ed Kranepool
Samuel L. Jackson*
Ben Affleck*
Jennifer Garner*
Russell Crowe*
John Leguzamo*
Robert Forester*
Arturo Sandoval
Jim Belushi
Andy Garcia
Sylvester Stallone
Eddie Mekka (Lavern & Shirley fame)
Steven Jackson
Charles Barkley
Stuart Scott
Many more...
* Actors I've been in movies with as an extra actor and met.

Golfers:
Arnold Palmer
Jim Thorpe
Tiger Woods
John Daly
Walt Zembriski

There are plenty more...I've been lucky to have met a lot of famous people.

Living in Vegas also gives me the opportunity to meet more...not just sightings.

Golf related:
some of the guys that work in the TM Tour Van (I guess they're "famous?")
Sergio Garcia
Henrik Stenson
Mike Small
Rick Smith
Dave Pelz
Amy Mickelson
Chris DiMarco (Grade A douche bag)

Sports related:
Buster Posey
Tim Lincecum
Barry Zito
Barry Bonds
Eric Davis
Rob Dibble
Pete Rose
Wade Boggs
Cal Ripken Jr.
Sean Elliott (twice)
Danny Green
Kawhi Leonard
Patty Mills
Kareem Abdul-Jabar (HUGE A-HOLE)

Actors/Music people:
Johnny Depp
Blackberry Smoke (the whole band)
Noel Gallagher
Liam Gallagher
Ludacris
Sir Mix-A-Lot (lol, yes...he performed at an after party @ The Palms for SEMA in Las Vegas 2013)

Pat Dye? (No, not Pete)

Traylor Howard is a friend of the family (she was the girl on Monk)

Bo Jackson

Luke Donald

Traylor Howard is a friend of the family (she was the girl on Monk)
OH Wow. To me, this one rocks. I've really dug her since Me, Myself, and Irene. Something about her.....

Underrated, IMO.

Back