How much time do you have for golf?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
for some reason I have this feeling people do not have enough time to really enjoy golf. And I ma talking about warming up, playing and maybe grabbing a bite to eat. I get it, time is precious but I want to know how much time people set aside for golf. Practice or playing, what is your limit?

Now that I have a kid, it's a matter of what days do I have available. If I can get away, I can spend all day out on the course. Sometimes I'll play 36 with lunch in between. But that's pretty rare.

Before that baby, I would give myself a max of 5 hours. But I was playing 4-5 days a week.

5.5 hours including driving time....rarely warm up other than putting and then head home following round.

I practice way more than I play. During golf season I am able to hit the range and practice facility 4-5 times a week.

Working 2 jobs all year and 1 day a week at the course really cuts into my playing time. Maybe it's time to give up a job or two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I play on the weekends I like to have 6+ hours. Gives me time to drive to the course and back (if it is withing 30 minutes of my house) 30-45 minutes to warm up (stretch, hit balls, putt) 4.5 hours to play and then hopefully 30 minutes to grab a bit and/or a beer.

Often I don't have time to grab food after if I have to get home and get a walk for my dog, but I would rather that than having to rush to the course, check in and be on the tee box.

For practice, with my current job I hit my home course at least twice a week after work to get in some time, and then the other day of the weekend I am not playing I am getting some work in. Probably 4-4.5 hours of practice a week right now. Hopefully it pays off with lower scores

I play league on Tuesday nights during the season, (April to Oct) 9 holes for league, and try to get in at least 1 round on the weekends. The weekend round is usually 5-5 1/2 hours if on home course and that includes the travel. If go to play with some of the local THPers it is a 7-8 hour day with travel. I will only due that once a month and only when the wife is out of town for the weekend, that way I don't take that much family time away.

Do any of us really have to the time to enjoy golf as much as we like? I think not. If I could play every day, whether it's practice or actually playing, I wouldn't complain one bit. But unfortunately that's not the case. Life gets in the way.
With that being said, in the off-season, I'll be lucky to play once every week or two ... Depending on the weather up my way. In season, I like to play at least twice a week if all goes well. But I will definitely practice in some sort of fashion every day in the afternoon when the days get long and I have afternoons to myself after work. It helps that a golf course is on the way home, so that beats sitting in traffic.

Marriage is compromise. I get to golf 9 holes every Wednesday in the summer, from 4:00pm-9:00pm. So she has right of first refusal on the weekends. Combine that with 2 kids, it's all turns into a business transaction.

I've got every other Thursday off so I usually tee off at dawn and get home around 4. Weekend rounds are less frequent but if I can get out early and be home by noon I won't get " the look" from the bride when I get home. After work rounds during the summer are usually my ugliest. It's usually from the car to the tee and I tend to rush on the course as well trying to beat the setting sun for a full 18.

very little if you ask me, way too long if you ask my wife. if i play on a weekend when the wife and kids are around, 6-8 hours is pretty typical. out of the house by 6:30-7am, back by 2pm-5pm.

Whatever I choose. Some days I will leave right after others I’ll hang for a bit. Range 2-3 times a week after work.

A lot during the warm months. Pretty much whatever I want. My wife tends to work long hours, even during her non busy season, so I'm luckily pretty free whenever.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I play early on Saturday mornings and don't usually eat afterwards, but sometimes make an exception. I usually have time for as much warm up as I want since I'm an early riser and get to the course at first light.

When I play twilight in the summer I try to get home asap after the round. Usually have some things that need doing at home and I need to get to bed.

I play as many days as I want. As long as I am not injured (which was a big problem last year). I typically don't eat at the course. I normally give myself around 45 minutes before my round to warm up and I typically leave when I am done. I play more 9 holes than 18. I try to play 9 holes 4 times a week minimum and 1 18 hole round. It helps my wife works and her days off are during the week so it gives me the weekend to myself since we have no kids.

Pretty much whenever I want, but I have tendinitis issues that limit me from playing at all right now, and when it’s manageable, I will play multiple rounds a weekend. No kids in the house and a wife who likes her alone time as much as I do.

If I am not traveling I can get out early in the morning once or twice a week and get in a quick 18, but as you said Panda it is not really a relaxed warm up and definitely just a bathroom break at the turn and go. Most times if we can get out 1st or 2nd it is a 3 hr round then off to work.

But if I can get out with THPer's on a Sat or the regular group on Sunday I try to get there 45-60 minutes early to properly warm up and then play whatever pace the Course gives us and for sure those are much more enjoyable rounds and the score is normally better.

All said, I usually spend close to 6 hours total on the course from start to finish especially if I'm playing with my group. If I'm playing by myself though, I give myself a bit of time to warm up and then try to get through the round as expeditiously as possible. I'd like to tell you I always enjoy the rounds when I'm not rushing, but that's definitely not the case :wink:.

Last edited:
How much time do you have for golf?

Twice a week I usually play. I don’t use the practice range as much as I should. I usually grab a sandwich at the restaurant while I am there. I usually spend about 10 hours a week, which really seems like a lot now that I have written that down.

Not as much time as I wish. With 2 kids it can be a toss up at times, but during golf season I can play once a week. I usually don't have time to do a full warmup but I generally have time to stretch, chip and putt for 15-20 minutes before a round.

I make the most of my golf time when I go out of town, whether work or vacation.

I usually schedule time for 18 every weekend. Sometimes I can make it 27. There are some weeks where I can knock of work and squeeze in an additional round. I tend to have to schedule it for early mornings or late afternoons depending on the kids activities.

I usually give myself about 6 hours. This gives me drive time and a few putts on the practice green before we tee. If the round goes quick we will relax and enjoy a beer after the round.

I'm retired so my time is very flexible. Weather permitting, Morning clinic on Mondays, happy hour clinic on Fridays. 9 holes on either Wednesday or Thursday for about 2 hours.

Lately I have very little time but that is purely due to me having other interest taking precedent. I am lucky if I can get 1 hour of practice in a week and when it comes to a round I allow myself 30 minutes before the round starts and when it is over I have to leave. There is no staying to eat I have to get home to help the wife or get other things done and don't need to spend any more money. If I get in 3 rounds a month from April-October then I am happy but it may be just twice. It's not always a time thing but of a money thing that keeps me from doing more.

As long as I tee off early enough in the morning, time isn't an issue. I play both Saturday & Sunday and either range session or 9 during the week.
Total time spent at the course or on the way to the course is about 14 hours a week (if I get out during the week to go to the range or play 9).
My wife is understanding of my hobby, as long as the tee times are early and there is still time left in the day to knock out things she wants to do, she's cool with it.

I'm pretty lucky in that my course is only 10 minutes from my office an 20 minutes from home. My wife plays a minimum of 3 times per week during prime time (another course) and with the boys long gone, I play Saturday and Sunday (first 2 tee offs both days) so rounds on weekends are typical 3 1/2 hours, sometimes less. Also have standing 1 pm tee time with buddies every Friday and get out after work another 2 times weather permitting between Tuesday & Thursday.

Friday round is usually 4-4.5 hours and evening rounds are typically 3.5-4 hours. Only really practice if there is a tournament on during the week and usually hit balls before rounds on Friday-Sunday.

When the boys were home they had other interests (not golf) so my golf was on backburner for 20 years and was lucky to play once a year in a company tournament. I know the challenges for fellow golfers wanting to golf but family took priority and my jobs during those years involved a lot of travel so there was always lots to do at home. I guess you could say I am making up for lost time by playing so much but with my wife also a golf nut, it makes it so easy.

For me it’s always a mad dash. On weekdays, bolt from work, 15 minute drive, run to the first tee box, 3 1/2 hours to play a full 18, 2 1/2 hours for the executive course then run home. Weekend rounds are only marginally better. I know it’s a rotten way to play the game, I usually piss away half a round getting settled in.

Back