Do I have any recourse here??

lblanto1

Reaction score
Handicap
So I bought a Callaway DBD 816 off eBay, (I’ve never had any issues with eBay) and it arrived today. I purchased it on Friday and it was shipped priority and arrived quick and the seller had 100% positive feedback, but returns not allowed. Guy communicated throughout and the whole thing was quick and seamless. Looked it over when it arrived, looked good. Didn’t even look that used, some scuffs from use but 8/10 easily on appearance.

Ran up to the club and just walked over to the a hole with one of the widest fairways, as we’re technically closed on Monday so there are no range balls. Took 5 or 6 of my own and hit them. Hit those went back to the tee hit them again. Felt like I squared several up and what’s getting just inconsistent ball flights and distances, and it sounded “hollow” I don’t know if that’s good description or not but I’d hit one a couple years ago when they just came out and vividly remember liking the sound and feel but this just felt harsh if you will. Got home in the light with my glasses on and there is a hairline fracture on the toe where the club starts to turn down to the bottom so not noticeable from the top looking down and truthfully hardly noticeable when searching for it. And looks to be another on the bottom, also hardly noticeable unless deeply searching. I’m a 7.5 handicap, i mean i hit some bad balls occasionally but i haven’t sky marked a club in years and my misses on the tee are generally heel but contact is solid. I say that to say i didn’t shank one off the toe side of the crown or hit 3 feet behind the ball to where i feel like i damaged this club.

So, I swung it, albeit less than 10 or 11 times but I swung it. Do I have any recourse with the seller? I really feel like i don’t. I feel like since I didn’t notice it before I swung I am really out of luck? Is there a warranty that would maybe still be valid or would callaway maybe do anything? I am not looking for a handout but am certain I didn’t cause the damage to the club. Any help or advice appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You probably have no recourse through the seller but Callaway is great with their warranty. I’ve cracked 3 Callaway fairway woods in the last 3 years and they replaced all of them, no receipt was required.

I am working off the assumption you did not damage it and the damage was not disclosed. With those caveats I think you are okay to get a refund. Getting our money back on a defective product is not the same thing as a pure return.

You probably have no recourse through the seller but Callaway is great with their warranty. I’ve cracked 3 Callaway fairway woods in the last 3 years and they replaced all of them, no receipt was required.
Taking this to Callaway doesn't seem right to me. Just saying.

I am working off the assumption you did not damage it and the damage was not disclosed. With those caveats I think you are okay to get a refund. Getting our money back on a defective product is not the same thing as a pure return.
I'd agree here. Work with the seller to see if they will make it right. If they don't, then go to PayPal.
Agreed. Work with the seller first as the club is a few years old now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You see, my moral compass tells me that since I swung it not knowing 100% if it was damaged prior, I have no recourse with the seller and to your point above, i feel like it’s not callaways fault either... but in my heart of hearts I feel like I didn’t break the club.

doesnt hurt to ask the seller... they have the right to refuse if private sale

File a grievance with Ebay. Even if the seller does not offer returns, you are still protected under the buyer protection program. You hit the club a handful of times and that is when you discovered something wasn't right with the head. By your own admission, you had to inspect the head pretty thoroughly to find the hairline cracks after you felt something was off. Doesn't sound like it is something that you would have reasonably found just by looking at the head after you received it.

Communicate with seller and see if he's willing to help you out. Perhaps damaged during shipping? If not you have a choice to make; file with ebay, file with paypal, or suck it up and don't do anything.
The seller should issue a refund, and then he should go to Callaway with it.

I'd agree here. Work with the seller to see if they will make it right. If they don't, then go to PayPal.

I agree with one caveat. If you used a credit card through Paypal, then dispute through your credit card. It'll be much faster than dealing with Paypal.

Bummer on the cracked club. I bet if you talked with Callaway and told them the truth of your story they might still help you. This kind of stuff scares me away from buying on eBay or other auction sites.

I'd go with the above.

Be diplomatic - assume the seller was not aware of the damage. Tell him what you dsicovered and take pics, showing him. If there is a problem, take it to paypal if used.

If I was the seller I would give you a refund. I dabble is selling clubs on eBay and I try my hardest to keep my feedback at . If this guy isn’t a power seller with like a crazy amount of feedback he will most likely want to keep you satisfied and keep a feedback rating. Those negatives hurt

Agree....after 425+ purchases on EBay, if it was cracked when you got it, then the description did not match. Send him message before making a claim and explain to see if he will just offer full refund without you opening a case. Best of luck.

EBay almost always sides with the buyer.

Sent seller a message and was honest, we will see how it goes.

the only recourse could be through PayPal or maybe if the seller offers a refund.

Callaway typically voids any warranty for clubs sold via eBay because they cant be 100% sure on authenticity.

I feel like it is the sellers responsibility first. Then if he doesn’t come through I’d go to eBay and then maybe Callaway if you get stuck with it.

File a grievance with Ebay. Even if the seller does not offer returns, you are still protected under the buyer protection program. You hit the club a handful of times and that is when you discovered something wasn't right with the head. By your own admission, you had to inspect the head pretty thoroughly to find the hairline cracks after you felt something was off. Doesn't sound like it is something that you would have reasonably found just by looking at the head after you received it.

Agree, you have a case with eBay. They will investigate and take action against the seller if they provided false information on their product. Contact eBay first and I think they will help you.

I’d be sending that shat back. Regardless if seller says no returns, your covered. And no it’s not callaways warranty problem. Good news is, this forum is the place to be, someone here might see this, might help out, I don’t know.

I disagree with not going to Callaway first or even at the same time. If it's not a knock-off they should stand behind their high quality equipment. They are a great company, so I'm sure they'd take care of whoever contacts them about it, whether it's you or the seller... again assuming it's not a knock-off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am fascinated as to why so many support the idea of not returning to the OEM. Even if the club was broken when it was sold, the type of damage caused is well within the reasoning to replace based on normal usage (and frankly is becoming all too common nowadays anyways).

What difference does it make whether he gets his money back from the seller, who in turn receives the club and returns it for a replacement only to re-sell? Why burden an honest seller for a mistake that very well could have been the OP's?

I agree with contacting Callaway. They made the club and will probably honor the warranty.

Though I think Callaway will take care of it...I'm pretty sure they disclaim any warranty if the product is purchased from a non-authorized retailer.

I think there's a mountain being made out of this mole hill. Tell the seller, odds are he didn't know and will make it right. If not, dispute through eBay or contact Callaway and let their exemplary customer service take care of you.

Back