Most enjoyable golf conversation

MPlefty

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm reading the turn off thread and thought it was a bit negative, so lets do the opposite, what kind of golf conversation do you love?

what are your favorites topics on the course?

I love talking about tech part of equipment, especially shafts. So much information and different opinions. I always end up learning something!

I love talking about the game, the good feelings when you hit it well, the greats that helped develop your passion for the game, your goals and desires in golf, and just good old conversation.

I like talking strategy, both as solo or in a team setting. Play to a number or go for it, who should tee off on which hole and why...all that kind of jazz.

I have two that really stick out.

The first was in Orlando for Love is in the Air and we were having dinner with the folks from Cobra and I sat next to Yagley. We talked about his history in the golf business and even before golf when he was an engineer for Boeing. He talked about how when he was working for Boeing he saw an ad in the paper for a golf ball manufacturer and had a buddy in the area who convinced him to apply for the job and he got it. So he worked there for a bit and then went to Callaway and engineered the Rule 35 and had a hand in every golf ball for them until the Tour i series before he left. We discussed Cobra's release schedule and his brutally honest feelings about them, we talked about being golfaholics and how our wives were saints for putting up with us haha

Second was in Cali for the Grandaddy when we had lunch and discussion with pretty much everyone in Callaway from Roger Cleveland, Chip Brewer, Koskey (now with SuperStroke) and Harry where we got some awesome insight on the industry from their standpoint. We talked about why some things are released to the Japan market only, tour influence in putter design, the golf ball marketing world and how Harry declared a 5 year war without even checking with his boss first haha

Mental approach, course management, inspiration to take up the game. Sharing the game with family (like hearing others' experience as my dad doesn't play anymore and my wife and kids don't either).

I like to talk equipment but more generally these days as I don't stay up to date with the latest and greatest. But I'm not against learning about some if a player wants to talk about equipment. I was once a junkie and that part of me still lurks below the surface.

love talking course management when playing with SIx4three5, where to hit the drive, what side of the green to play too, how to read the greens, that type of stuff!

I still love telling everyone the story about my Kingdom Experience from 6 years ago and of course that goes into a long discussion about THP and all the great people here.

I'm out there to have fun and I really enjoy the back n forth smack, laughter, etc... Besides that I probably most enjoy the back stories, course management/strategy, design stuff, history, especially if relevant to the course or a shot just played, and also a little gear/tech talk.

When I am playing with my friends on the weekends, we will talk about anything and everything. My best friend and I started playing about the same time so we will talk our progression in ability, new equipment, strategy on the course or just good ole BS.

This may seem a bit weird but when I play a solo round I catch myself saying out loud things like "just hit to 100 yds for AW or just nice smooth swing etc". I guess saying it out loud helps me to reinforce the thought or I could be just losing my effing mind!

Short game discussion, which shot to hit around a green. High flop, a chip that should roll out to the pin, a chip that should check right at the pin. Always fun to see how different players approach greenside shots.

I enjoy conversation. Could be about anything: the game, the weather, clubs, a particular shot, food, drink, music, a recent tournament, etc...Playing a round of golf is no different, in that respect, than a 4 hour car ride.

I love talking gear with others that are interested. Also enjoy course management discussions, especially with better golfers.

I enjoy conversation. Could be about anything: the game, the weather, clubs, a particular shot, food, drink, music, a recent tournament, etc...Playing a round of golf is no different, in that respect, than a 4 hour car ride.

These are the best golf conversations to me, too. Just general conversation. With my Wife, we discuss a lot of course management, club selection, and swing mechanics, as she's still pretty new to the game. With my friends, it's just typical general conversation, very little of which centers on the game itself. We're just having a good time together.

1) fitting talk
2) club comparisons
3) handicap and handicap system talk
4) leagues and tournament setups and results
5) tech and marketing. The truth and the BS.

My favorite golf conversations take place on the tailgate of the truck after my brother and I pull in the driveway. We talk about what went wrong, what went right and what we need to work on. With a cold beer Its almost as much fun as playing.

Last edited:
Really everything. Equipment is great, strategizing for events is great, tour talk is great, course talk is great. I love getting in to every aspect of the game.

Game and Course history are a lot of fun for me. I like tech talk a lot. Strategy can be fun as well.

Me and my golf partner talk mostly about theology, world affairs and a little bit about course management

I'm always enthusiastic when I can hear about other courses people have played. I love talking shop about architects and favorite places to visit, must play courses, etc. Equipment talk is also really interesting to me. With so many choices, it's great to hear about what people are playing and why.

Love to talk about other courses, but I love just having fun, giving each other a hard time in fun, and discussing sports.

I love having a good laugh discussing rounds after a day on the links with my buddies. It's a chance for reflection, learning, and "who got the worst bounce" competitions. Since most of the time we are all in random groups it's fun to hear what happened to other people on the same holes.

I also love explaining the golf swing to my girlfriend. She is very genuine with her questions and it's fun to try and explain it to a non golfer. I brought her to a lesson of mine once and explained some terms she might hear on the way there. She lit up like a lightbulb about 15 minutes in when my instructor used some of the phrases and mouthed, "I know what that means!!"

As I keep writing this it's evident to me that I just enjoy a good, authentic, conversation about the game no matter the complexity or context.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I love talking about tech part of equipment, especially shafts. So much information and different opinions. I always end up learning something!

Tech and marking hype.

I like the answers lots of fun stuff.

I love talking about gear but I get lost when it starts to be too technical, that stuff isn't that interesting to me. I love talking about course management, funny golf stories, and golf courses in general

I love hearing and sharing golf stories. My friends have dubbed me the "Rain Man of Golf" because I can vividly recall just about every shot from any round I've played. We play a lot of tournaments at different courses. When we're on the putting green before the rounds, we'll usually ask which hole everybody is starting on (primarily shotgun starts). Most of them have no idea what holes those are... so they'll ask me.

One of my favorite things is to sit down after a round and start talking about fun things that have happened in the past. Stories such as losing a member-guest match due to the putter made of wood from Noah's Ark and signed by Jesus... to off-the-course things like my bourbon fueled near-death fall (shove) from a hot tub to a pool where I saved myself with some kind of pirouette move.

Even more fun is to sit in the 19th hole of my club and listen to some of the stories the older members tell. They've got some great tales to share about how the course looked "way back" and it's always interesting to get to know those guys a little better.

Back