Driver thought to straighten out the flight

semi

Reaction score
Handicap
I have asked a few questions on here about straightening my driver flight. Still fighting a fade and slice. Was working with someone on the range the other day and he commented that i may want to hold my back to the target a little longer and let the club start to fall before i turn my body.

This has worked somewhat for me but i am wondering if this is just another bad habit that i am picking up. Any opinions on this? i was able to hit straighter drives, some hooks and some draws by doing this. Obviously my timing on this is NOT 100% yet but it did seem to get the club more in the slot. Any opinions?

This guy was a PGA instructor, so its sounds valid, but does holding your back to the target just a fraction longer like this mimic others who drive the ball well?

There are many causes for a fade and slice, obviously. Keeping your back to the target just a touch longer, sounds like he's wanting you to get inside the ball, come at it at the 5 o'clock position. Chances are you have an inside out and bit over the top swing. That's typical of a lot of golfers. That, as I'm sure you know, will cause that gear effect and the slice out see. SOOO, when your back stays closed a touch longer and your arms comes down from that hold, you should be able to get inside on the ball easier. That should help you square up better and/or if you hands turn over that's when you see the draw and hooks.

Instructor that I use to work with had me swing towards the "2nd baseman". Helped me go from a slice to a draw. It took some getting used to, but it worked for me. Just make sure your feet, waist, and shoulders are aimed at your target.

Or if if you prefer a clock visual....if 12 is your target swing towards 1.5 or 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

where does the ball start? assuming you're right handed, does it start, left of, at, or right of target?

When you say back to the target are you letting your hips fire first still?

This is an excellent tip for someone that slices. It not only allows for the hands to drop to the rear hip but it also delivers the club on an inside out approach. Now if you drop the right foot off the line a bit and swing down your line with this move you'll see a straight ball with a slight fade tail. Drop the lead foot off the line of you want to hit a draw. This opens the hips more and with the back to the target longer and solid release, you'll see wha I am talking about. As you get more comfortable, bring the feet back to square and continue with this move. It's not a bandaid tip, it's a legit swing changing move.

When you say back to the target are you letting your hips fire first still?

no, i have a hard time finding a way to move my hips first. I am ARM swinging and trying to correct that. When i hold my back to the target i can drop my arms better and use my body.

This is an excellent tip for someone that slices. It not only allows for the hands to drop to the rear hip but it also delivers the club on an inside out approach. Now if you drop the right foot off the line a bit and swing down your line with this move you'll see a straight ball with a slight fade tail. Drop the lead foot off the line of you want to hit a draw. This opens the hips more and with the back to the target longer and solid release, you'll see wha I am talking about. As you get more comfortable, bring the feet back to square and continue with this move. It's not a bandaid tip, it's a legit swing changing move.

I completely agree with this and can atest to this first hand, as it is my priority item that I am working on. I fight with a fade on my driver and hosel hit with my irons.... The full turn away and from the ball (and especially the delay at the top).... Helps with the timing... To allow the hips to clear.... I try to think of the hips as a two-part thing... Left hip moves away from the ball and the right hip swings around (I think about hiting the ball with my stomach). When I am really struggling with a severe fade... I usually do this and concentrate on NOT swinging with the arms (over-exaggerate this). I find this common with my body as I ask for a mile and I get an inch.

I hope some of this helps. And, I am only learning too... So I hope some of the other low-cappers and pros will help straighten me out on any of this, because I am still working on these same things too.

Back