The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

A match play tip I wanted to share that I learned the during singles day last year. Don't let one bad hole or shot ruin your day or your match. Take your medicine and move on, don't let your opponent gain any momentum. Uncle Mo can definitely be a game changer in match play.

It was a par 3, probably 125-130 yds, I remember because I didn't have a gap wedge and that was in between yardage for me the whole time. So I choked down on a PW and straight shanked it right in the water. Now if your anything like me a horrible shot like that can be extremely frustrating and could lead to bad things if you let it.

I dont know if he saw my frustration or if he had been in that position before but when I got in the cart JB suggested that I just concede the hole and gather myself for the next one. I was up a few holes on Finley at this time so I did just that. Finley and I talked in the carts while AJ and JB finished out.

Match play is a whole different beast and it was a great lesson learned for me. It could have been a turning point but instead I was able to put it behind me and move on.
I love this dude. Wise words.

Jeremy just offered a great tip!
I'll try to add another. Communicate with your partner on you team matches. Tell them what you are thinking on your shot, where you want to leave them, maybe he will tell you where he wants you to play to.
If you are up, go for the throat, DO NOT relax! The Zoo Crew ARE PLAYERS!

Jeremy and I had to fight back from a couple early match deficits, but we were there for each other, and communicated, gave each other pep talks and we found our way back into our matches.

Feeling pretty good about my game. Although I may hit a bad drive every couple holes or so I am not losing them off the drive and I am still managing to score well. And that is probably the biggest thing I am focusing on. Own my game and limit the blow up holes. I am a high handicap so bad shots will happen but I have to keep them out of my head and worry about the next shot.

I am also working on making sure no matter what if I am around the green to make sure I get on the green. Which means I have to limit my chunked chips. The way I am working on that is making sure I accelerate through the shot. I have a issue with deceleration on chips.

Also need to work on my green reading the last few rounds my speed has been good but need some work on reading.

Overall have a few areas that I need to work on but feeling pretty good about the game overall

I'm at peace with my game. I'll continue to sharpen up my short game and putting, but My mistakes seem to be more mental. Not in the sense of being scared or nervous, but just being too relaxed if that makes sense. I'm trying to find that balance mentally between "aggressive competitor" and not being "that guy" bc at the end of the day it's just golf and I'm not good enough to be upset with a bad shot. At the end of the day it's golf with a world class OEM and THP'ers.

I need to find a way to harness my competitive spirit because I only know one speed and that's aggressive, pedal to the floor and run over fools.

I feel good about my game right now. Usually I've put the clubs away by this time of year. This is the most I've practiced this late into the year. I just want to make sure I keep the practice going all the way up the end. I want to ensure my handicap and game will travel with me. I was out on the practice green today having imaginary chipping contests between my AW and 9i, pretending I was at the Hideaway and the match was on the line. I couldn't stop smiling thinking of all the fun we are going to have. And, with my game, I know I'm going to have some bad shots. Thats just the reality. The key for me will be to keep it positive and move on to the next. Something I've really gotten much much better at this year.

Honestly my game is feeling mediocre right now. Driver has gone to absolutely crap... I have made up for it in different ways and that has not "harmed" my game overall.

I am hitting my irons excellent. My wedge game is getting better since moving to a new environment. And my putting is above average.

Not that I don't care, but honestly I don't care. If I get too up in arms about it, it will only go downhill. I will hit the course in December and adjust my game as needed. It won't stop me from having a blast and enjoying every minute of it!

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Any time to go see a pro and get some outside thoughts? Plenty of time and if you are struggling with longer clubs, many times its a pretty easy tweak and some practice to have it set in. Adjusting on the fly in something like this can be tough and frustrating.

I'm at peace with my game. I'll continue to sharpen up my short game and putting, but My mistakes seem to be more mental. Not in the sense of being scared or nervous, but just being too relaxed if that makes sense. I'm trying to find that balance mentally between "aggressive competitor" and not being "that guy" bc at the end of the day it's just golf and I'm not good enough to be upset with a bad shot. At the end of the day it's golf with a world class OEM and THP'ers.

I need to find a way to harness my competitive spirit because I only know one speed and that's aggressive, pedal to the floor and run over fools.

I'm happy to hear this. The competitive thing will take care of itself come time. My advise to you as you head to the last few weeks, lots and lots of putts in the 5 to 12 feet range. Take the last 30 minutes of your practice for this. It was cash some checks come December!

Honestly my game is feeling mediocre right now. Driver has gone to absolutely crap... I have made up for it in different ways and that has not "harmed" my game overall.

I am hitting my irons excellent. My wedge game is getting better since moving to a new environment. And my putting is above average.

Not that I don't care, but honestly I don't care. If I get too up in arms about it, it will only go downhill. I will hit the course in December and adjust my game as needed. It won't stop me from having a blast and enjoying every minute of it!

Same advice, find that go to shot off the tee.the shot that you can live by. Same with the wedges play the high percentage shot. It's a rare thing to have excellent irons and a faulty driver. Keep it up and it will spill back to the tee.

Sorry if I've been MIA. It was a rough call week at work, but I've enjoyed reading all the tips from thp members. Looking to get a couple rounds and some range time in this week, as well as pulling my weight in the forums. Keep up the good work fellas!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Be that guy on every shot. After the shot go back to relaxed guy. Next shot be that guy. Find a trigger just before you pull the trigger me stay until the ball stops. Your team will need you to be that guy if you are to bring the belt home. Every shot matters just as much as being a good sport. No rule against mental focus or the grind for 45 sec burst.

Jeremy just offered a great tip!
I'll try to add another. Communicate with your partner on you team matches. Tell them what you are thinking on your shot, where you want to leave them, maybe he will tell you where he wants you to play to.
If you are up, go for the throat, DO NOT relax! The Zoo Crew ARE PLAYERS!

Jeremy and I had to fight back from a couple early match deficits, but we were there for each other, and communicated, gave each other pep talks and we found our way back into our matches.

Good point here. A lot of times people underestimate the value of good communication. It's great to be able to talk strategy and bounce ideas off of your partner. Things you usually don't do during normal stroke play. Not so much that you have paralysis by over analysis, but enough to confirm what your thinking, pick each other up, etc.

Any time to go see a pro and get some outside thoughts? Plenty of time and if you are struggling with longer clubs, many times its a pretty easy tweak and some practice to have it set in. Adjusting on the fly in something like this can be tough and frustrating.

Possibly time but may be difficult. Traveling back home next weekend and for thanksgiving. I can crush a 3 iron but haven't had the confidence to pull the driver/3hybrid.

I was hitting the mini driver very well this weekend. May just be a slump. More time on the range will tell.

At the end of the day I would rather take a 230 yard 3i in bounds in the fairway and a 8-5 iron into the green then 1 OB tee shot with the driver.

Possibly time but may be difficult. Traveling back home next weekend and for thanksgiving. I can crush a 3 iron but haven't had the confidence to pull the driver/3hybrid.

I was hitting the mini driver very well this weekend. May just be a slump. More time on the range will tell.

At the end of the day I would rather take a 230 yard 3i in bounds in the fairway and a 8-5 iron into the green then 1 OB tee shot with the driver.

Oh I get that, I just meant that with over a month to go, you could possibly be one small tweak away from hitting both extremely well. No big deal, just offering suggestions. I know for me last year, it helped quite a bit.

Oh I get that, I just meant that with over a month to go, you could possibly be one small tweak away from hitting both extremely well. No big deal, just offering suggestions. I know for me last year, it helped quite a bit.
I agree with this a freaking ton. Yesterday was a rough one for me on the range and on the course, so first thing I did was set up a lesson, won't be able to take it until next week, but still its definitely not too late and a trained set of eyes can do wonders.

JB nailed it, there IS still time left. There IS still time to improve.

As excited as we all are for the trip, there's still competitive golf to be played, and I know I'll be working with a purpose right up until it's time to go. I sure hope #TeamRedemption is too!

I agree with this a freaking ton. Yesterday was a rough one for me on the range and on the course, so first thing I did was set up a lesson, won't be able to take it until next week, but still its definitely not too late and a trained set of eyes can do wonders.

JB nailed it, there IS still time left. There IS still time to improve.

As excited as we all are for the trip, there's still competitive golf to be played, and I know I'll be working with a purpose right up until it's time to go. I sure hope #TeamRedemption is too!

Captain Jman captains gooder than most!

Seriously though, you guys are in crunch time, yet have plenty of time to smooth out the rough edges. Nothing major, just a little tweak here or there. Keep grinding and keep having fun!

I will look into getting something scheduled. You make a very good point! Thanks everyone.

I will look into getting something scheduled. You make a very good point! Thanks everyone.

Always, always, always time to improve. Sometimes its hard to not just go play another round and instead spend time honing in on something or working with a pro, but its always worth it in the long haul.

I have a few things to work out. Typical for this time of year with me. My grip gets a little different and I start falling back on my heels again. It's being worked on. Bunker play was sloppy this weekend after being strong all year.

Can you get your swing on video and post in swing tips thread. I'll offer up some advice if you'd like

I have a few things to work out. Typical for this time of year with me. My grip gets a little different and I start falling back on my heels again. It's being worked on. Bunker play was sloppy this weekend after being strong all year.

You me and bunker coming soon

Can you get your swing on video and post in swing tips thread. I'll offer up some advice if you'd like

I love this. Thank you Panda!

I will try to get something up by the end of the week! Thanks panda.

I will try to get something up by the end of the week! Thanks panda.

Seriously, if you can't get one up. Send me a pm with your best description of the issues.

I found some videos from about a month ago. Uploading now :)

Back