Thinking about lighter iron shafts

DB86

Reaction score
Handicap
I wasn’t fitted into my irons, but I did go after and get some data from a launch monitor that turned out to be pretty decent. After seeing great results with my lighter swingweight Driver (C8) I was thinking about trying some actual lighter weight iron shafts. Probably just one or two irons first to see how it goes. I don’t want to add any more weight to the irons to change swingweight so I’m thinking lighter shafts may be the way to go. Anyone have any experiences with this? What were your results?

i went from 120g steel shafts to 105g steel shafts and have enjoyed them.

i kind of want to swing nippon's new 68g steel iron shaft. that sounds fun!

i went from 120g steel shafts to 105g steel shafts and have enjoyed them.

i kind of want to swing nippon's new 68g steel iron shaft. that sounds fun!

Tadashi demo'd those at the PGA Show and with his tempo, they were rock solid. He kept saying how great they felt.

I've been gaming the Modus3 Tour 105s for years and they're fantastic. Easily the best iron shafts I've gamed, which is why I've stuck with them. There are certainly lighter offerings, but I believe the Modus3s Tour 105s hit the sweet spot in terms of weight, stability and feel. Definitely check them out if you can demo them in your neck of the woods!

I'd be careful with tinkering too much with swing weight. Talk to a fitter first before installing anything.

I hit the 68g Nippon shafts and they felt awesome.

I hit the 68g Nippon shafts and they felt awesome.

Tadashi demo'd those at the PGA Show and with his tempo, they were rock solid. He kept saying how great they felt.

any opportunity to grab numbers on these or see the flight, or was it all just feel?

lighter shafts does not automatically mean lower swing weights. Check out the lab rats with Don Brown from Project X.

Personally I like a lighter iron shaft, something in the 95-110 weight is ideal.

I recently went from 125g steel (TT DG’s) to 95g graphite (Recoil 95’s) with no issues whatsoever. (No idea on swing weights.) Maybe I Jedi mind tricked myself, but I had no problem immediately adjusting to the lighter shafts.

Best move ever for me! :golf2:

i went from 120g DG s-300 shafts to KBS CTL 115G to DG 105G and it works for me. Don't have to swing as hard and focus more on tempo

any opportunity to grab numbers on these or see the flight, or was it all just feel?

Feel only. I could never game them as even in an indoor range you could see they were just gonna sail high and right as expected. But they did not feel whippy or soft at all. They felt great.

The recommended is to not go greater than 20g difference in weight from what you are used to. With that said, I went from 130g shaft to 95g shafts and didn't make any difference at all in my ball striking ability with the exception of feeling fresher after 18 holes. I did however swing weight the clubs to get a feel I liked. Only took a few grams to get my "feels" back.

I'm looking at this now. Planning on going from Apollo Hump (111g raw/99g cut) to Matrix Studio 84 (~84g raw/??? cut). Hoping to avoid golfer's elbow this upcoming season.

When I picked up my CF16s off ebay, they came with the Nippon Zelos 7 shafts, which is a 74g shaft in R flex. I was playing a graphite shaft before (not sure what the weight was). The Zelos has been great. Feels stable like a steel shaft and swings like a dream.

All great advice. Again....this is why THP is so great. I am playing 115 gram shafts at the moment and I am looking at going to the same shaft in. 95 gram range maybe. I might just buy one shaft to try out first. Or who knows I may end up just leaving them as is because I really like them. I’m just a tinkerer and can’t stand to not have a project going.

I went from 120g steel shafts to 65g graphite in my irons. I love the graphite shaft and the lighter weight has been good, but a little to light I think. At the end of last season I installed 20g weights into my shafts just below the grips to not effect the balance and stiffness of the clubs too much. I'm not sure the effect it had on swing weight, but that 85g range seems to have hit the sweet spot for me.

I went to the Recoil 95s a couple of years ago and have had no problems whatsoever! Feel great and I definitely swing them a little faster. Was only getting about 145 to 150 with my 7 iron and now get 155 with a nice normal swing. Accuracy as good as ever (within my skill level) Good luck!

I wasn’t fitted into my irons, but I did go after and get some data from a launch monitor that turned out to be pretty decent. After seeing great results with my lighter swingweight Driver (C8) I was thinking about trying some actual lighter weight iron shafts. Probably just one or two irons first to see how it goes. I don’t want to add any more weight to the irons to change swingweight so I’m thinking lighter shafts may be the way to go. Anyone have any experiences with this? What were your results?

Going to a lighter iron shaft will likely increase the swingweight on your irons as long as you don't have a bunch of tip weight in the shafts your gaming now. Nothing wrong with going lighter overall, but make sure you check the math or talk to a fitter to make sure that you don't go too far afield. I do like your idea of experimenting with a couple first.

Bought the CF16s as a dual curiosity purchase. First the irons themselves but my actual priority was the Steelfiber i95 shafts in them.

Was already happy with my previous set (combo, MX-200/MP-52 w/Rifle 6.0) and having already tried Recoils, I wanted to try the Steelfiber too. Their weight was purely incidental, had they been the heavier Steelfiber offerings I still would have purchased them.

I kinda subjectively assumed they may not work for me though based on their light weight but I sure was wrong about that. From the very first swings on the range to the first time gaming them, not only were there no ill affects as to the significantly lighter shafts but my dispersion actually tightened up some.

My swing has since become a bit smoother. It's not any compensation as if I feel that I may overpower the shafts, not at all as they hold up very well with my hardest swings. It's just that I receive excellent results with an easier swing and rarely feel the need to go after it. Who doesn't like easy?

From a vibration standpoint, because I'd long ago inserted ProSoft inserts into the Rifle shafts, I didn't notice much difference. Positive affect to my previously chronic wrist issue remained intact from one set to the next. Yet the feel of well timed swings and poorer contact alike was improved with the Steelfibers while not at all feeling muted.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend anyone to attempt such a significant reduction in weight right off the bat but I wouldn't caution against it either. The change not only satisfied my curiosity, it somewhat surprisingly served me with a better set-up for my game.

I have gone from steel 120g Stiff to CTaper lite 105g Reg with no issues this season moving to Recoil 95's

Back