Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Did you experience better club head speed with the GBB vs your Bio+, sparks? I ask because I recently comared these two pretty thouroughly and while I really liked that the GBB gave me about 2mph more clubspeed, my ballspeed actually was 2mph less with GBB than my Cobra (or the R15 I was testing at the time). GBB retains ballspeed well, but doesn't generate much to begin with for me.

Slightly more club speed with Bertha yes but no better ball speed.

I really think you will like it, Lofting up was the key brother and really made the difference for me. With some adjustment these things are monsters.

Looking forward to it

Alright, boys and girls! I just completed the "Great Big Bertha Challenge" at our Dick's Sporting Goods. I hit the 9.0 with stock Kuro Kage stiff shaft and had it set with the weight at the top, -1 loft, neutral vs my G30 with the X flex Agera. To put it succinctly:
I. Am. Shocked.
3429e1b44c4da1b2e8601aef0b30cd9f.jpg
73117aa4deeb53c342de3cbec1cd024b.jpg

4659f762f385ebb81a0d01278f8abcbb.jpg

I gained ELEVEN yards! Seven yards on carry! That's crazy! Now, I'm not sure if the seven carry yards takes over for the less dispersion with mine, which was noticeable onscreen when checking the "dispersion circle" grid, and I'm not sure if just moving to X flex will cure that, but I'm still surprised! It would be really cool to find a fitter to see how I could get it straighter! What was most curious of the findings was that draw... With my recent swing changes I've been hitting baby fades. I didn't expect this ball flight at all.
Anyway. Pretty crazy!
Oh, and I received my sleeve of balls for trying! BONUS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did notice about 5 mph more swing speed with the GBB... Hmm. Might need to look at a lighter shaft for mine, at minimum!

My wife's came in today. Hopefully she'll get it dialed in tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This looked phenomenal at set up to me yesterday. I really liked the look at address. To me, this is one of the major things I look for when deciding if I should even demo a club. This one has the look I like.

Went to D -1 with the weight right in the middle and had the best Drive of my recent play, had good mechanics with the shoulder turn, stayed behind the ball, etc. Could not get it exactly right again after that one, but the misses are still better than the 815 to me. Just shows me with more work this can make the game a lot more fun.

At the range today hit my longest carry drive I have done (on the range) since having this driver according to FlightScope. Im getting something that I have rarely had in a driver in my years of playing. Complete confidence.

I would love to see my actual numbers with this, when I get it right with it at -1 I am finally getting the spin down where the ball is running out some. Still mostly swing issues but man when I square this one up it just goes and goes.

At the range today hit my longest carry drive I have done (on the range) since having this driver according to FlightScope. Im getting something that I have rarely had in a driver in my years of playing. Complete confidence.

I'm jealous as my 2Deep is super straight but none of my drivers give me the same confidence or any appreciable increase in distance. Right now the XR Pro is outperforming the GBB but not by much. My search continues. up is a 816 DBD, I'm just trying to decide which shaft I'm going to order with it.

I'm jealous as my 2Deep is super straight but none of my drivers give me the same confidence or any appreciable increase in distance. Right now the XR Pro is outperforming the GBB but not by much. My search continues. up is a 816 DBD, I'm just trying to decide which shaft I'm going to order with it.
Dude the 816 dbd and hzrdus is a monster combo

So, long story short I'm a dummy and was trying to adjust the head and dropped it. Ugly scratches on the crown. Any idea of who/where would fix this, or repaint the clubhead an entire separate color? I contacted callaway CS and they told me they don't do paint repair on the GBB, I'm guessing they only do the glossy paint. So bummed

So, long story short I'm a dummy and was trying to adjust the head and dropped it. Ugly scratches on the crown. Any idea of who/where would fix this, or repaint the clubhead an entire separate color? I contacted callaway CS and they told me they don't do paint repair on the GBB, I'm guessing they only do the glossy paint. So bummed

continental is a company that a lot of guys on here rave about. Believe they can paint it just about any color you want.

So I'm trying to make an equipment ponder decision and I'd like to get some responses from people regarding their settings and SS. I'm trying to decided between 9* GBB or 10.5* GBB head. Currently with M1 my ave SS is 99. Anyone with similar SS playing 9* or did you go with the higher loft?

This thing continues to perform for me. When I put a decent swing on the ball the results cannot be ignored. High flight that just seems to go and go.

So I'm trying to make an equipment ponder decision and I'd like to get some responses from people regarding their settings and SS. I'm trying to decided between 9* GBB or 10.5* GBB head. Currently with M1 my ave SS is 99. Anyone with similar SS playing 9* or did you go with the higher loft?

I'm around 105-108 and got the 9. I have it set +1 to 10* though and it's glorious

I'm around 105-108 and got the 9. I have it set +1 to 10* though and it's glorious

i'm thinking of doing the same thing. I tried the 10.5 turned to 11.5 and hit the ball too high for any positive roll out

The launch monitor you posted in the M1 thread said swing was about 106. Is it that far off?
FWIW, I am barely over that and use the 9* head set at 11*.

i'm thinking of doing the same thing. I tried the 10.5 turned to 11.5 and hit the ball too high for any positive roll out

Yea, you can get the 9* set up to 11*, so if you aren't going to go up to 12.5* ever, then the 9* might be a better choice.

The launch monitor you posted in the M1 thread said swing was about 106. Is it that far off?
FWIW, I am barely over that and use the 9* head set at 11*.

The numbers from the M1 thread were with 50g X flex. My normal gamer shaft is Speeder VC TS 7.2s which averages 99 SS due to the additional weight. The GBB I tested Sunday was same speeder shaft but 6.3s and set to 11.5 on 10.5 head. Went a little too high for my liking so I'm just curious if similar SS on 9* produced good results in similar SS players.

Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

I play the 9* head +2. When I was getting fit for the BBA815, the 9* head helped bring the spin down for me. The 10.5* head was just spinning too high and killing and carry I was trying to achieve.

The 9* head gives me a better, more piercing trajectory with my ball flight.

My SS averages out around 98-99 based on my last few range sessions with my SC-100

I play the 9* head +2. When I was getting fit for the BBA815, the 9* head helped bring the spin down for me. The 10.5* head was just spinning too high and killing and carry I was trying to achieve.

The 9* head gives me a better, more piercing trajectory with my ball flight.

My SS averages out around 98-99 based on my last few range sessions with my SC-100

Thanks Mike. Kinda what I was thinking in my head. Guess the 9* is the choice

The numbers from the M1 thread were with 50g X flex. My normal gamer shaft is Speeder VC TS 7.2s which averages 99 SS due to the additional weight. The GBB I tested Sunday was same speeder shaft but 6.3s and set to 11.5 on 10.5 head. Went a little too high for my liking so I'm just curious if similar SS on 9* produced good results in similar SS players.

Interesting. I had not seen 15-20 grams pick up 7 mph of swing speed in the past. That is awesome.

Interesting. I had not seen 15-20 grams pick up 7 mph of swing speed in the past. That is awesome.

I was just as surprised as you. I left the store with an ear to ear grin that didn't wipe off until about an hour later. Now to see if it transfers to on course play.

Question for those of you that have dialed in your GBB's. When tweaking it, have you adjusted the sliding weight first? +/- a degree or two? Set it to Neutral or draw? I'm assuming the best thing to do is to hit 10 or so balls, make an adjustment, hit 10 more, make another adjustment and just keep working the adjustments like that.

Back