2016 Masters Thread & Contest - Amazing Prize

Can you imagine if Poulter, Sergio or DJ had that lead at the turn & did what Jordan did today on holes 10-12 & lost the tourney? saying Choke, meltdown, etc. would not even be questioned

No one said DJ choked in the US open, they simply said he can't putt. Sergio has had his chances to close the deal and can't. No one has called him a choker just not a closer. And poults, well he is poults and doesn't have the game to win a major.

I'm curious if the roles were reversed and Bubba did the same thing, if people would be defending him. One would think by reading this thread that if you're considered to have class you can't blow a big lead in three holes on the final day of a major and be called out for it. However, I wouldn't say crying about being put on the clock when your one of the slowest guys on the course is particularly classy and mature.

On on a side note, I wouldn't have blamed him if he slapped the guy upside the head in his post round interview who asked if when he looks back on this week he'll be happy that he was in contention again this week. What a colossally dumb question.

It sure was a dumb question. I feel bad for the poor guy. Looked like a deer in the headlights.

No one said DJ choked in the US open, they simply said he can't putt. Sergio has had his chances to close the deal and can't. No one has called him a choker just not a closer. And poults, well he is poults and doesn't have the game to win a major.

Panda I usually see eye to eye on pretty much every issue with you but DJ is called a choker just about every major.

Panda I usually see eye to eye on pretty much every issue with you but DJ is called a choker just about every major.

I've seriously never heard that. I've heard his putting is bad but never a choker. I may not be in those convos but I haven't heard it.

I've seriously never heard that. I've heard his putting is bad but never a choker. I may not be in those convos but I haven't heard it.
When he lost that US open at pebble he was called much worse than a choker on here

Rightfully so.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Anyone else think that Danny Willett looks like Theon Greyjoy from Game of Thrones?

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

Agree with all of this. Spieth was the dominant story for the first 3 days, so he was likely going to be the dominant story win or lose today. Then to have such a big lead headed to the back nine and have it all go away in 3 holes was a tremendous collapse.

I also think this is a lot like the 2011 Masters. The story afterwards was more about Rory's collapse on the back nine rather than the winner, Charl Schwartzel.

It's weird and true. Right now I can't remember a single one of Schwartzel's shots from his win that year, but I remember every one of Rory's mistakes. I think in 5 years nobody will remember Willet's round and his shots but those images of Spieth on 12 will be with us forever.

As much as it sucks for Speith, I would consider this a choke. I believe he had a 5 shot lead after the turn. In most cases, a 5 shot lead with 9 to play should be pretty safe for pro golfers. Amateur golfers are another story. Lol

I got a notification on my phone saying he was up by 5 at the turn and I thought it was a lock! Just too bad for Speith but a good final round for Reek, I mean Danny Willett. Haha

Agree with all of this. Spieth was the dominant story for the first 3 days, so he was likely going to be the dominant story win or lose today. Then to have such a big lead headed to the back nine and have it all go away in 3 holes was a tremendous collapse.

I also think this is a lot like the 2011 Masters. The story afterwards was more about Rory's collapse on the back nine rather than the winner, Charl Schwartzel.

I agree wholeheartedly. It also reminds me of when Tiger was on his tear. A lot of the time the story was more about Tiger losing than whichever player winning. In regards to Jordan, I feel like collapse is the more appropriate word for what happened. That streak of holes, particularly 12, confirmed to me that golf is indeed hard and the tables can turn on you at any time. It was almost painful to watch, but it's certainly not the first time something like that has occurred in a major tournament. It is somewhat unfortunate that Willett won't get all the coverage he deserves for the win, but as mentioned a few posts back, a young phenom is always going to get more attention. Regardless, I think Willett played a fantastic round of golf and I had a lot of fun following this years Masters!

Anyone else think that Danny Willett looks like Theon Greyjoy from Game of Thrones?

You must have missed the picture I posted right after Willett won :wink:

Lol. I didn't read all the posts in the thread.

Lol. I didn't read all the posts in the thread.

I got you bro

702fafda6633f26f02c6f495698b83fe.jpg

One thing I noticed that I don't think has been mentioned, but I did read the last 100 pages pretty quickly as I DVRd the coverage as I wasn't home for the start.

When Willet finished the 15th hole it looks like Spieths score from 12 went up on the board judging by all the reactions you saw in the gallery turning around to look at it.

So you have to assume by the time he got to the 16th tee he knew he had a three shot lead. The nerves could have hit him big time there or a huge rush of adrenaline causing a hooked shot into the pond or something.

But he stepped up and nailed it. Clutch shot right there.

He said in an interview with Sky Sports over here in the UK that yes, he did see Jordan's score get posted and at that point he knew that he was in with a chance. I can't remember exactly what he said, and the interview hasn't yet been posted online, but it was definitely along the lines of it giving him the hope that he could win, but he also knew that Spieth would likely recover and therefore he had to push on and try to post good scores on the final few holes.

He said in an interview with Sky Sports over here in the UK that yes, he did see Jordan's score get posted and at that point he knew that he was in with a chance. I can't remember exactly what he said, and the interview hasn't yet been posted online, but it was definitely along the lines of it giving him the hope that he could win, but he also knew that Spieth would likely recover and therefore he had to push on and try to post good scores on the final few holes.
Yep. He definitely exhibited a closer approach, sticking that tee shot and then draining the putt.

Then a heck of a pitch shot on 17 and nailed the 3 wood perfectly off the tee on 18.

As much as I was pulling for Jordan to make a heroic comeback, it was impressive to see Willet keep him just out of reach.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

It was tough rooting against Jordan yesterday on the back 9 since I had Willett in this contest. And I'm glad I didn't watch any of the post round garbage after seeing the interview with Jordan. Strong young man that let one get away yesterday. He will be back without question...and he will learn from this - likely more than we've seen anyone else ever learn after having one get away.

And here I am this morning and I keep reading over the first post in this thread....unbelievable.

It was tough rooting against Jordan yesterday on the back 9 since I had Willett in this contest. And I'm glad I didn't watch any of the post round garbage after seeing the interview with Jordan. Strong young man that let one get away yesterday. He will be back without question...and he will learn from this - likely more than we've seen anyone else ever learn after having one get away.

And here I am this morning and I keep reading over the first post in this thread....unbelievable.

Congrats on the win #Cookie.

Congrats on the win #cookie! Thats one heck of a prize. Hard to believe you were the only one to pick Willet!

Congrats cookie! This one hell of a contest!!!

Congrats Cookie. The weather should be in the 60's in Ohio by then.

Hahaha, the Ohio weather discussion never stops!

It's as big as Texas and almost epic as that grand prize. Your an AC member right?!?!

Congrats on the win Cookie, not sure what possessed you to pick Willett before this started, but clearly you knew something the rest of us didn't! Enjoy that trip bro!

I'm not going to call what happened to Jordan as a choke, I think it was more inevitability. He was pulling rabbits out of his butt all week long and his luck ran out. He didn't play The Masters with a good tee ball and his iron shots on par 3's were often sketchy, the golf gods gave him a lot of latitude and eventually they called in their chips. In many ways he is lucky to have finished where he did the way he was playing, short of an incredible up and down game it could have been worse.

Congrats on the win Cookie, not sure what possessed you to pick Willett before this started, but clearly you knew something the rest of us didn't! Enjoy that trip bro!

You should listen to THP Radio brother...haha

I'm not going to call what happened to Jordan as a choke, I think it was more inevitability. He was pulling rabbits out of his butt all week long and his luck ran out. He didn't play The Masters with a good tee ball and his iron shots on par 3's were often sketchy, the golf gods gave him a lot of latitude and eventually they called in their chips. In many ways he is lucky to have finished where he did the way he was playing, short of an incredible up and down game it could have been worse.

Speaking of the golf gods - I read this article before Saturday's matchup with Spieth and Rory in which Rory was quoted as follows:

Rory McIlroy believes the Masters "owes" him a green jacket to complete the career grand slam after setting up a mouthwatering battle with defending champion Jordan Spieth.

McIlroy could have won his first major title at Augusta National when he took a four-shot lead into the final round in 2011, only to collapse to a closing 80 to finish 10 shots behind the winner Charl Schwartzel
..."I sort of feel that Augusta owes me something and I have come with that attitude," McIlroy told RTE after a second round of 71 in swirling winds left him just a shot behind Spieth, who struggled to a 74. "I have come here to get something that I should have had a long time ago."

Daring the golf gods like that (especially at Augusta) seems like a bad idea.

Congrats Cookie, well deserved for that pick! Very clever man!

Back