Wet/Soggy fairways

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
How does your set up and ball striking differ when your ball lies on wet/soggy fairways as compared to when you are hitting from dry fairways?

My setup doesn't change, although I might move the ball back a touch just to ensure ball first contact. Wet conditions just amplify if you are not making ball first contact, so when things are off they are way off

I don't really change anything.

I try to focus on not hitting it fat, which I have a tendency to do under dry conditions, never a good thing when the ground is wet!

I don't change anything in my setup for a full shot. I may make a shorter backswing to try and feel more controlled so I'm not slipping, but really that's about it.

Short game, I will move the ball back in my stance to make sure I'm pinching the ball off the turf.

I swing my normal swing, although sometimes the flatter fairway woods will give me problems. If that's the case I will abandon woods off of the deck for the entire round.

Sometimes I'll choke down a tad if it's soft enough for me sink down a little. I don't really move the ball up or back. I do expect that the ball won't go as far or sometimes as high since I'm not going to get as much compression against the soft turf.

I do one and a half things: wear spikes and attempt to remember to take a slightly narrower stance. Most (if not all) of my poor passes, on slick turf, can be traced to a static lower half.

Nothing changes other then slightly more focus on making sure my footing is good.

sweep the ball, and don't dig. try to hit it like your hitting off a driving range mat.

Back