Everyone does at least to some extent. If you can make putts I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Everyone does at least to some extent. If you can make putts I wouldn’t worry about it too much.
That's the thing putting is the strongest part of my game but I can sometimes pull a little left or right, I looked at some videos on YouTube and see a lot of players do it but most are straight back and forth which I think would be more consistent

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

That's the thing putting is the strongest part of my game but I can sometimes pull a little left or right, I looked at some videos on YouTube and see a lot of players do it but most are straight back and forth which I think would be more consistent

I’m going off memory here, but as I recall everyone has some curve to their putting stroke, but some are more exaggerated than others. There are some discussions here about it with some serious big brains discussing it. Maybe @JB or someone can link to the threads, I don’t remember where I saw them.

Thanks, im just wanting to stop any bad habbits now before they become ingrained in my game

Thanks, im just wanting to stop any bad habbits now before they become ingrained in my game

It’s a good plan, a putting lesson might help get you pointed in the right direction if you’re worried about it, and a fitting will help you find the right putter for your stroke.

It’s a good plan, a putting lesson might help get you pointed in the right direction if you’re worried about it, and a fitting will help you find the right putter for your stroke.
Think you correct a lesson will give me the feedback I need, iv never considered a fitting for my putter I just hit a couple of putts and buy which I stupid considering its the only club I use on every hole, I'll look it to that, cheers

Think you correct a lesson will give me the feedback I need, iv never considered a fitting for my putter I just hit a couple of putts and buy which I stupid considering its the only club I use on every hole, I'll look it to that, cheers

There is also an Odyssey event that signups will be here for very soon that will likely provide you with all the putting feedback you ever wanted to know.

There is also an Odyssey event that signups will be here for very soon that will likely provide you with all the putting feedback you ever wanted to know.
I'm in the uk i think that's just in the us

I'm in the uk i think that's just in the us

The event is in the US, but if you’re an albatross club member you can certainly signup, travel costs might be a touch on the high side though.

The event is in the US, but if you’re an albatross club member you can certainly signup, travel costs might be a touch on the high side though.
Yeah don't think its within walking distance

I have just noticed I arc my swing when putting I don't swing straight back on the back swing then straight forward on the follow thru I arc as if the club is rounding my body, 1. Is that a problem 2. If it is how do I fix it.
Video below
//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a7d7368f0281/TRIM_20180209_100900.mp4

Everyone putts on some sort of arc. Some are exaggerated others are not to the point where they think it's straight back/straight through. The key is to understand how much of an arc you putt on and find a putter to help you square the face at impact.

Have you ever tried a SeeMore putter? A number of their models are "face balanced at impact" meaning no matter how much arc is in your stroke, the head has a tendency to square itself at impact.

you do appear to have an arc to your stroke, it might even be considered a strong arc. fwiw, that's totally fine as long as it's repeatable.

there is no such thing as an sbst stroke. there is ALWAYS some arc because of our spine inclination at address and how the club is held in the hands.

some putter designs are meant to work better with strong arcs, some with less pronounced arcs. the putter you have is probably more designed for a less pronounced arc. if you're having trouble with consistency, think about trying something like the odyssey 7s. it's the same shape as what you have, but with more toe hang. i have a strong arc too, and the 7s has been a game changer for me!

Have you ever tried a SeeMore putter? A number of their models are "face balanced at impact" meaning no matter how much arc is in your stroke, the head has a tendency to square itself at impact.
No I haven't I have only tried the odessey and Scotty's the later that I tested was great but way out my price range, I'm going to get a lesson and a fitting and go from there before I buy anything else

No I haven't I have only tried the odessey and Scotty's the later that I tested was great but way out my price range, I'm going to get a lesson and a fitting and go from there before I buy anything else

Wise choice!

Arc is nothing to be afraid of, and I would suggest that if you are repeatedly rolling the ball on your intended line I wouldn't even go down the rabbit hole.

Arc is nothing to be afraid of, and I would suggest that if you are repeatedly rolling the ball on your intended line I wouldn't even go down the rabbit hole.
Iv just never noticed that I do it and straight away I thought I shouldnt have an arc, im learning a lot since I got this puttout mat and experimenting with different grips and movements in the swing

Putting is about making choices and each choice will have an impact on how the putter moves or appears to move. The big thing that you need to be able to control is speed and being able to start the ball on your intended line. The less you manipulate your stroke the more repeatable it will become.

The tendencies that you will see are: standing closer to the ball with eyes over the ball will have less arc and the farther away from the ball you stand you will have less arc. If you stand open the target line the putter path will appear straighter going back and come inside the target line past the ball; opposite for closed stance. If you power your stroke by turning your shoulders the putter will naturally arc.

Think of a record when it turns around the center: the point outside point stays the same distance from the center. If it were to follow in a SBST model the point would have to move farther from the center. In putting if you turn your shoulders the only way for the putter to go straight back would be to move your hands away from your body. You probably wouldn’t be consistent in this motion over time.

Those are some basics of the putting stroke. You can putt with any putter, but based on your choices some putter designs make it easier to repeat the stroke and not have the putter work against the choices you made.

There are many different theories on the best way to putt. Most of the great putters have quite a bit of arc in thier putting stroke. Think Crenshaw, Nicklaus, and Tiger.

The longer the backswing the more likely it is too get into an arc motion. Like others have said, that is pretty natural. Have you been able to record yourself on similar length backswing(s) to have a completely straight line?

The idea with golf in general is too have a repetitive and consistent motion. If you are doing that already (even with the arc on longer backswings), just go with it.

I’m going off memory here, but as I recall everyone has some curve to their putting stroke, but some are more exaggerated than others. There are some discussions here about it with some serious big brains discussing it. Maybe @JB or someone can link to the threads, I don’t remember where I saw them.

I think this is the article you are referring to: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/putting-stroke-straight-back-vs-arc/

And here is the thread: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/98762-SBST-vs-ARC

Thanks Smalls!! That’s exactly the video I was thinking of.

I have just noticed I arc my swing when putting I don't swing straight back on the back swing then straight forward on the follow thru I arc as if the club is rounding my body, 1. Is that a problem 2. If it is how do I fix it.
Video below
//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a7d7368f0281/TRIM_20180209_100900.mp4

I read Stan Utley's book "The Art of Putting" and he is a strong advocate of arc putting. It is a quick read and has some very good information. Like others have suggested a lesson may work for you too.

I think an arc is perfectly fine. It's never going to be straight back and through, no matter how many of us think it is. With my stroke I take it back a little outside and cut across it as I come through. It's a strange Arc, but what matters is that it works.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back