What is Bulge and Roll?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of talk this year about gear effect and what causes that in golf clubs. Bulge and roll, twist face and the general idea of the shaping of golf clubs.

Here is equipment expert Michael Vrska on what bulge and roll means and how it helps golfers.

Have always heard the term and kind of knew what it was referring to. After hearing Vrska's expertise on the subject, I now definitely have a good understanding of the technology and the importance of having the right amount for your game. Now I know where all of my toed push hooks come from..haha.

Excellent explanation by Mike. Simple and easy to understand. I knew it was there, but that explains the why/how very clearly.

Thats either one hell of a microphone or AJ was screaming in his ad.

As for the video, thats something I never really knew about with fairway wood/driver faces. I know swing path has a ton to do with ball flight but I didnt know face design helps my crappy swing path too

I love these videos that explain the design of clubs. Being so new to the sport there is so much to learn. These are well produced and the explanations are in plain English. Thanks for taking the time to produce these.

the simplest, yet most informative explanation to date. Vrska has a way of making the complicated easy to understand.

Mr Vrska is really good at explaining complicated things so everyone can understand them, great video

This comes at an opportune time. So bulge & roll is designed to help offset gear effect (basically caused by torque on off center hits). Testing is difficult because it's hard to recreate the same miss across different heads...it would have to be lightly more long term work I would guess. Definitely interesting and it's good to see oems challenge prior tendencies.

Love the video. Love how simply Vrska breaks down bulge and roll. Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vrska did a fantastic job highlighting this at the show this year. His explanation of bulge and roll has been the best I've heard since twist face was announced. Prior to TM coining Twist Face, I knew nothing of bulge and roll.

Vrska makes it easy to understand how the club helps to counteract a mis-hit. Thanks for the video.

Love all of the technical comments and interviews that Vrska does and this is no exception. He just makes things so easy to understand. Great video!

What would happen to ball flight on mis-hits with a flat faced driver? Just a pull on heel strikes and a push on toe strikes?

This clip definitely makes sense of what it is and why we need it. Curious why we never (at least me) hear the term used as part of marketing....is it referred to in other terms like forgiveness? Implying that you need the correct amount of bulge and roll to give forgiveness in certain parts of the face? I see a graphic for like the E9 face and that's how I view forgiveness in that head.

This clip definitely makes sense of what it is and why we need it. Curious why we never (at least me) hear the term used as part of marketing....is it referred to in other terms like forgiveness? Implying that you need the correct amount of bulge and roll to give forgiveness in certain parts of the face? I see a graphic for like the E9 face and that's how I view forgiveness in that head.

I think so. I also think it's because everybody uses their own form of bulge and roll, as Vrska said. Good drivers anyway : )

That was a great explanation. This is a newer term to me this year and I had no idea it was used in irons at all. The engineering and testing they put in to getting it right has to be pretty overwhelming to make sure they get it just right.

Interesting that he said that some long irons have the bulge and roll incorporated (if they’re hollow).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very cool. Had no idea what it was but that is a fantastic explanation.

Glad you guys are enjoying the Vrska spots. He was great and we have a lot more coming.

Glad you guys are enjoying the Vrska spots. He was great and we have a lot more coming.
He presents the normally confusion/difficult tech stuff in a great way, this video is a good example, I've heard these terms before, but now honestly feel like I understand it.

Bulge and roll was my high school prom night date. No details here except it did involve a 5 pound bag of flour.

Back