Interesting Ball Test by the Golf Academy

It would have been really interesting to see the Trackman screen shot for the shots with the Chrome Soft balls (both versions) to see if the spin rates were lower than the Pro V1/V1X as well.

Callaway is taking this line of marketing and using it in their demos for the new Chrome Soft balls. Hit the new balls against other balls and see what the ball speed is compared to the other balls. As I have said in another thread on here, it's what TaylorMade did last year in their TV ads for TP5/TP5X, JDay had a line that was something like "who wouldn't want 10 extra yards?" The knock on those balls from some was that they didn't spin as much as other premium balls. That's why I'm wondering if the distance gains that Callaway will be promoting are a combination of higher ball speed and lower spin, or if they were able to keep the spin numbers up with irons and wedges.

These balls definitely spin. I've pulled a couple off greens that hasn't happened with prior generations of Chrome Softs.. Or very few other balls, for that matter.

These balls definitely spin. I've pulled a couple off greens that hasn't happened with prior generations of Chrome Softs.. Or very few other balls, for that matter.

I was thinking more about spin off of a mid iron (6 or 7) than with a wedge. I'm not spinning balls off of greens in the best of conditions (stupid shallow swing) so I'm more concerned about balls rolling out with longer clubs.

I was thinking more about spin off of a mid iron (6 or 7) than with a wedge. I'm not spinning balls off of greens in the best of conditions (stupid shallow swing) so I'm more concerned about balls rolling out with longer clubs.

Hmm. I bring it in from pretty high so I’m used to hop and stop? I don’t recall spinning them back. If I can find a wide open hole, I’ll test it. Only one ball of each, little tough to just swing away with anything hazard like looming!

Talk about a lack of sample size. Testing ball speed of golf balls really is better just using a robot or like more than 1 swing.

Shallow swing should actually get your spin loft closer to 45 so it should actually spin more.

Back