Toe Hang/ possible new putter Question

williaza

Reaction score
Handicap
Putting has always been a strength of my game. I was fit into a taylormade ghost black I dynamite putter that I used for 2 season. I felt I putted well but towards the end my alignment would get way off. So last season I decided to try a SeeMore FGP mallet. I liked the putter but felt my putting was lacking the season and I was pushing a lot of puts. I have done some research and it seems to me that is a sign of lack of toe Hang.

my dilemma is should I look to switch and if so the Indy I used had 60* toe Hang (which I now know is a lot). So, even if I do switch I’m having a hard time finding putters that fit that toe Hang.

Any imput woyld be awesome. Thank you!

Toe Hang/ possible new putter Question

Putting has always been a strength of my game. I was fit into a taylormade ghost black I dynamite putter that I used for 2 season. I felt I putted well but towards the end my alignment would get way off. So last season I decided to try a SeeMore FGP mallet. I liked the putter but felt my putting was lacking the season and I was pushing a lot of puts. I have done some research and it seems to me that is a sign of lack of toe Hang.

my dilemma is should I look to switch and if so the Indy I used had 60* toe Hang (which I now know is a lot). So, even if I do switch I’m having a hard time finding putters that fit that toe Hang.

Any imput woyld be awesome. Thank you!

Here is my opinion based on my education about putting and the putting stroke. I like you miss right with face balanced putters. I rotate them open on the backswing and the face balanced tendency to not rotate keeps it open on the forward swing. I would say you probably have a bigger are or high rotation stroke that works better with a putter that naturally opens and closes. How much toe hang will depend on your putters path and how much you use you hands. Btw 60* isn’t a lot, heel shafted putters tend to be toe down or 90*. The degrees don’t really matter, it is about finding what works best for you!

The length/speed of the stroke controls distance and the face angle at impact primarily controls direction. To putt well you need to be able to control the face for any stroke length. Place a dime about 18” in front of a ball and using different length strokes see how consistently you can roll the ball over the dime.

If you consistently hit the dime you are less than 1* off in face control. If you are missing you need to decide if you want to find the putter that enables you to l start the ball on the intended line or modify your stroke to fit the putter.

Try the drill with the two putters And see which works best.

Thank you!

It seems the SeeMore has a very little bit of toe hang...I seem to cant really find any putters over like 40*? Evnroll..Scotty..Odyssey..Bettinardi..etc...am i missing something?

Thank you!

It seems the SeeMore has a very little bit of toe hang...I seem to cant really find any putters over like 40*? Evnroll..Scotty..Odyssey..Bettinardi..etc...am i missing something?

Odyssey #3 and #9 (and Scotty equivalents 1.5, 3, etc) have lots of toe hang

Thank you!

Had this problem after a putter fitting. I don't feel companies do a good job of letting you know toe hang. Odyssey #1 has 45 toe hang and was the minimum that I needed so that's what I went with. Some of the new slant neck mallets will have somewhere between 20-35 toe hang.

I feel like a putter fitting would tell you the exact type of putter you need in terms of specs and then you can find the putter that fits that...but they'll probably have one that fits wherever you are being fit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I feel like a putter fitting would tell you the exact type of putter you need in terms of specs and then you can find the putter that fits that...but they'll probably have one that fits wherever you are being fit.

I guess this is my ultimate problem...i was fit for length loft lie and style...got my Ghost Tour Indy and putted well with it for two seasons..I guess i went "white whale searching" because i started to feel like my alignment would get way off and wanted to try a small mallet for shorter put confidence...Now after one season i feel as if my putting regressed and now im trying to find something similar to that Ghost Tour Indy without luck.

I guess this is my ultimate problem...i was fit for length loft lie and style...got my Ghost Tour Indy and putted well with it for two seasons..I guess i went "white whale searching" because i started to feel like my alignment would get way off and wanted to try a small mallet for shorter put confidence...Now after one season i feel as if my putting regressed and now im trying to find something similar to that Ghost Tour Indy without luck.
So you got rid of that putter?

I mean, I guess you can see the fitting worked. Looking for something better, which many of us do, can lead to both good and bad.

Maybe you can find the same putter again? eBay?

So you got rid of that putter?

I mean, I guess you can see the fitting worked. Looking for something better, which many of us do, can lead to both good and bad.

Maybe you can find the same putter again? eBay?

I know beggars cant be choosers haha i bet i can find it but i need specific specs..loft/lie which will be hard..i think i kind of learned my lesson and really want to play this season with the putter type and specs that i was originally fit for...the problem is finding one with the toe hang i want...it seems that odyssey has #1 Wide S has the most stated toe hang of their new putters coming out.

If your alignment or aim is off, measure it. SeeMore has a low tech aid for aiming called the Triangulator - about $10.

As to face balanced versus hang, I prefer some hang but have putted well with putters that I aim correctly. I don't use my hands when putting, I keep my arms tight to the body, and use my shoulders with an arc - ball position and aim are everything with me to start the stroke. Now speed control is another issue - weight of the head and entire club affect what I do with speed. In fact, I need to do some counterbalancing for more feel as to speed and maybe some lead tape on the head.

https://www.taylormadegolfpreowned.com/golfclub/putter/ghost-tour-black-indy/p_pd-1031241.aspx?opt=aac&cdt=3&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=Ghost-Tour-Black-Indy&utm_campaign=gglbase-tmpo&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhumeyt-e2QIVloJpCh2m4wRREAQYASABEgILy_D_BwE

Buy one and get the putter adjusted to your specs.

Back