The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

I've already had one round on the simulator this year. It was still nice to be able to get some swings in. I'm sure I'll be in there a few more times before December. Hopefully weather holds out as long as possible though.

Im getting ready to start playing some golf again. Many of you know I have not played much due to injury and that is not going away, but its not getting worse and does not impact my swing so Im not posting this because of that. More because I am happy to be getting back out on the course.

Next week I get to play early on and then a week from tomorrow begins a 54 hole weekend. Getting excited thinking about what's in store for this team, this group of THPers and our friends at Callaway Golf.

If you saw the excitement that we saw at their HQ when talking to them about it, you would realize how much this matters. The Grandaddy has taken on a life of itself. Its the greatest 3 days you could imagine that I can only explain as Golf Nirvana...And yes, they did make it even better this year. This might be perfection and when the dust settles, no matter the score, if you get a chance, walk over and give Jason Finley a big ole sweaty hug. He is definitely a hug kind of guy like I am, so make sure its a good one.

Team THP...We bleed green and white and will leave it all out there at the Hideaway. Win, lose or draw (but mostly win), you represent two great logos combined into one for something very special that we are honored to be a part of.

So when you are all out playing in preparation, are you playing your normal game? Or are you trying new/different things?

Like in a situation where you would normally play shot A, would you instead attempt shot B or C?

So when you are all out playing in preparation, are you playing your normal game? Or are you trying new/different things?

Like in a situation where you would normally play shot A, would you instead attempt shot B or C?

I'm playing my game. It doesn't do me any good to try and practice something I wouldn't normally do. I was asked to be 100% honest about my game and I can't do that if I'm not playing my game

I'm playing my game. It doesn't do me any good to try and practice something I wouldn't normally do. I was asked to be 100% honest about my game and I can't do that if I'm not playing my game

One thing I am doing differently is playing courses at the yardage that these courses are setup at.
I didnt find the rough very difficult (others did) and nothing else really stood out (other than beauty), so to me its about making pars.

For the most part I'm playing my game. I'm working on understanding my miss and I knowing my limitations. One thing I've been working on is situational awareness. By this I mean knowing when to lay up versus attacking a par 5, knowing when to fire at a pin or just focus on center of the green or below the hole, etc..

One thing I am doing differently is playing courses at the yardage that these courses are setup at.
I didnt find the rough very difficult (others did) and nothing else really stood out (other than beauty), so to me its about making pars.

Yes. That's something I didn't consider in my answer. But I have been playing right around the yardage we will be playing in December and I'm trying to play new courses. Only problem is there aren't many options without playing crappy goat tracks lol so I've been changing tee boxes at the courses I'm familiar with and I was shocked at how much that changes a courses layout

What's the yardage the courses play at? Longer or shorter than you're used to?

What's the yardage the courses play at? Longer or shorter than you're used to?

I believe earlier it was posted that they will play 6400 and 6600

And I cannot stress one thing enough guys. Work on your short game. I know it gets said a lot and people are like yeah yeah yeah I will do that, but I am serious. I know on the internet we dont miss greens, but having been to every THP ever, I will say that it happens....A LOT! Get your chipping and pitching strong. Losing a hole on a chunked or thinned pitch is tough on people. Get up and down routine.

And dont think sitting with a bucket and doing the same thing over and over again makes a difference. Work on your technique. Work on your go to shot. Make it so you OWN IT and can count on it in every situation. It will make 100% of the difference.

Yes. That's something I didn't consider in my answer. But I have been playing right around the yardage we will be playing in December and I'm trying to play new courses. Only problem is there aren't many options without playing crappy goat tracks lol so I've been changing tee boxes at the courses I'm familiar with and I was shocked at how much that changes a courses layout

Goat tracks are okay if the yardages match. It will make you play a different shot than you are used to, which is one of hte most important things to prepare.

And I cannot stress one thing enough guys. Work on your short game. I know it gets said a lot and people are like yeah yeah yeah I will do that, but I am serious. I know on the internet we dont miss greens, but having been to every THP ever, I will say that it happens....A LOT! Get your chipping and pitching strong. Losing a hole on a chunked or thinned pitch is tough on people. Get up and down routine.

And dont think sitting with a bucket and doing the same thing over and over again makes a difference. Work on your technique. Work on your go to shot. Make it so you OWN IT and can count on it in every situation. It will make 100% of the difference.

I have the anti Internet GIR. I'm poop and I know it. It's been getting most of my attention. Pitching/chipping is absolutely something I'm focusing on

I believe earlier it was posted that they will play 6400 and 6600

Thanks. Just getting caught up. Yeah, that was one of the things I tried to do before the MC after I looked at the courses. True Blue played a good deal longer than I was used to playing in my league. I played back a set of tees a few weeks and found courses I'd be hitting longer irons into.

I think that goes well with JBs advice about working on getting up and down. If the course plays longer than you're used to, expect the need to pitch it close. Can't wait to follow along in Dec.

Very focused on my normal game. That being said when I am playing multiple balls I will play par 5s with one ball laying up and one ball going for the green in two. Not necessarily by pressing and going after it though, more so I can hit a few more clubs in the bag and get additional swings in. When it comes to playing my game though I have a better shot at birdie on most par 5s by laying up to a comfortable number, hitting a wedge and making a putt. So I am focused on my game, but in practice I am exposing myself to those other shots I normally don't go for it in order to have more familiarity top to bottom of the bag.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I have the anti Internet GIR. I'm poop and I know it. It's been getting most of my attention. Pitching/chipping is absolutely something I'm focusing on

I'm right there with you. My GIR are low and I rely on my wedges to score. It's one area along with putting where I've made the most progress

I've been playing longer tees, in most cases the tips around here are in the 6400-6700 range. Beyond that, working on understanding where my game is at and where my abilities are so I can avoid trying shots that I simply don't have. I've also been trying to play smarter and asking myself whether I should play certain shots or if the smart play is to lay up. Sometimes that means par is out but it also takes out triples too.

I am focusing on playing my game. Trying to play around 6500-6700 yards and working on managing misses. I know what my game is, the only thing I want to do is put it all on the line, leave it all out there, and have fun. Oh, and bring the belt back to THp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I wasn't obligated to play in a tourney this weekend we would meet in Sand Springs.

Not a problem. I'll make it out and play a course either way. The following weekend I will be in Tucson. Maybe after that!

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been playing my normal game. No crazy or different shot attempts. I have been trying to take JB's advice from a few weeks ago and play courses I've never played before, or haven't seen in awhile.

Absolutely love the work you guys are putting in!
Short game and putting, putting and short game!
Work on your lag putting as well! Putting the ball to 2-3' from long distance WILL save you on these courses.
Those guys in the colder climates, if you can't get out and play, and don't have a facility to practice in, get out in your yard, go to a park, find somewhere to get some swings in! You don't need a golf ball to keep your swing in order!

Golf with THPers saturday and my main focus is going to be FIR and GIR. The greens should be better after being aerated 3 weeks ago. Excited to get the chance to put in some real prep work. My wife is a saint

Golf with THPers saturday and my main focus is going to be FIR and GIR. The greens should be better after being aerated 3 weeks ago. Excited to get the chance to put in some real prep work. My wife is a saint
I'll make sure your hitting all of them

Man I'm not an early workout guy but it felt amazing to get a HIIT session in this morning since I won't have time after work today. I wish I could make myself get up early everyday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clock is speeding up fellas and daylight about to get a penalty stroke. We all are behind each and every one of you...never think we are not checking in on you.

Clock is speeding up fellas and daylight about to get a penalty stroke. We all are behind each and every one of you...never think we are not checking in on you.

This is why they invented indoor putting mats and golf ranges that are lighted. Just because i run out of daylight, doesnt mean i cant practice something.

Back