bmoresportsnut

Reaction score
Handicap
So I'll freely admit money is tight, and would much rather spend it on actually playing than fitting. So question is, if I had a x-stiff flex driver fitting (free BTW), would that necessarily translate to same for woods, hybrids and irons?

Not necessarily. It could, but isn’t nearly as automatic as most assume

Shaft up is free, maybe that works?

Not necessarily. It could, but isn’t nearly as automatic as most assume

Shaft up is free, maybe that works?

Ignore my ignorance, still fairly new to THP. Shaft up?

Not necessarily. Plenty of people have a different flex in their woods and irons. It's all a case by case basis. Some people swing their woods like a bat outta hell and then swing 80% on their irons.

I played stiff shafts in my woods and hybrids and regular shafts in my irons for ages. I now play regular in everything except my heavenwood, where I still play a stiff shaft.

#FiberLaunch

I got in ShaftUp last year and it's a fantastic event, easily worth $35 Albatross Club membership that's required.

To answer your fitting question though, like others have said it doesn't always translate straight across the board with flex. I got fit into X-flex in my woods and hybrid, S-flex in my irons, and back to X-flex in my wedges. It's what works best for me, but everyone is different so you never know.

Really appreciate everyone's responses thus far, but seems like I should at least think about going X in my 3 wood and possibly hybrids?

Really appreciate everyone's responses thus far, but seems like I should at least think about going X in my 3 wood and possibly hybrids?

I think that's a fairly safe bet, some do just go X in the driver, but it's probably less common. Kind of depends on swing speed, transition, and profile and weight preferences. A lot of times people go after it a little more with the longer clubs and then back off a little with their irons and look for accuracy. That's the case with myself anyway and why my flexes vary. Like I said before though, everybody's just a little different.

Ignore my ignorance, still fairly new to THP. Shaft up?

Just one of the most amazing events...ever...sign up for sure. Best part about it with a tight budget? Free!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I play an X in my driver and 3 Wood, but stiff in my hybrids and irons. It really all depends on your swing speed, transition, and other factors. I'd tend to lean towards the stiff over X flexes, but that's just me.

Also... Shaft up.... Amazing!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Is doing some experimenting yourself on a monitor at a golf store not an option?

So I'll freely admit money is tight, and would much rather spend it on actually playing than fitting. So question is, if I had a x-stiff flex driver fitting (free BTW), would that necessarily translate to same for woods, hybrids and irons?

See my recent fitting thread. I go from currently bag having x flex in driver, fairway and 6.0 stiff in hybrid to now having 6.0 in driver, lightweight stiff in fairway and regular flex in hybrid. Having one flex in driver won't always mean you'll need it in irons or vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have x in my driver, 5 wood and irons. Stiff in 3w and my hybrids. My 3 wood needs to go to X though as I have massive misses left when I go all out on the swing. I don't have any plans to go to x in my hybrids right now. Wouldn't be against it though if I got better numbers.

I personally find that shaft kick point/release and weight are more important than flex. If the flex is correct but the kick and weight are off, I have a hard time with a shaft. Marry up the other too, with flex being too soft or stiff and I seem to have no problem with it. As for transitioning shaft flex throughout an entire set, it won't be so simple. Each manufacturer has their way of measuring shaft flex and each model has its own properties. For example, Ctaper shafts can feel stiff and harsh in stiff flex to some people, while DG Gold S300 can feel softer and more kicky. Each shaft also has a tendency to produce a certain ball flight type. Ctaper tends to produce a bit higher launch and low spin, while DG can be a bit lower with higher spin. Best wishes to you on your search.

Woods and hybos are USUALLY similar. Irons and wedges can be totally different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me X vs S flex is more about feel than performance. I get nearly identical numbers on a Trackman with stiff vs x flex in the same shaft for both woods and irons. I have it in my head that x100’s are more accurate for me than s300 or 400’s but it likely has no factual basis.

I currently play x flex in everything but my driving iron, driver, and 2 of my wedges.

Watching your ball flight when we played I’d say less spin would be very good for you. Your contact and launch is awesome but the “spinning up” was killing your distance across the board.

Nothing you need to rush into though, getting your driver distance would be a good start.

I have some iron shafts that would fit your swing.

I went X in driver, 3wood and 3hybrid then stiff in irons. X stiff helped me reduce the left miss in the driver, 3wood and hybrid. I don’t think I need to go x in the irons...maybe I use a more controlled swing with those as they are more for precision accuracy than distance.

Getting fit is the way to go, and as others have said... ShaftUp is free, a ridiculous experience, and super educational. I can tell you, I'm no expert, but I understand shafts exponentially more than I did before shaftup

Back