Mizuno MP-5 - THP Review Thread

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Update
Full THP Review can be found on our home page.
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/mizuno-mp-5-irons-review/

With labels like "An Icon Redefined" and the hashtag #NothingFeelsLikeAMizuno it seems pretty obvious what the expectations for the MP-5 irons are. High. While building on the stunning MP-4 head shape, Mizuno has redistributed some of the material above the muscle to introduce a marginal amount of forgiveness into an MB profile. Still, the compact lines one would expect to see out of an iron of this profile are maintained, with the potential for that dreaded miss a fraction away from the center to promote decent numbers. It's a bold move, in a stunning package.

From Mizuno

DESIGN DETAILS

The MP-5 is the ultimate geometric blend of a Mizuno classic muscle back and a players’ cavity design.

The Channel Back design is a new way of distributing the weight in the club head to allow for an increased level of forgiveness while still maintaining the feel, look, and control of a traditional muscle back.

With intense Tour Player hit tests and feedback, the new Channel Back delivers a new level of forgiveness in a true players’ package.

handicap-spectrum-0-5

TECH SPECS

• New Channel Back design. Maintains thickness behind impact for muscle back feel, but moves enough mass to create stability from off center strikes like a players’ cavity model.
  • Grain Flow Forged - From a single billet of 1025E Pure Select Mild Carbon steel for soft, solid, consistent feel.
  • Harmonic Impact Technology (H.I.T.) - Mizuno’s scientific technology to fine tune sound and feel.
  • IQ Sole - Innovative Quickness(IQ) - Stud configuration designed to reinforce traction with arch support ribs to enhance smooth weight shift & acceleration. Flex groove designed for acceleration and improved torsion flexibility.

In Hand Photos

20151026_174107-X2.jpg

20151026_174950-X2.jpg

20151026_174948-X2.jpg

20151026_174937-X2.jpg

20151026_174804-X2.jpg

20151026_174733-X2.jpg

20151026_174724-X2.jpg

20151026_174528-X2.jpg

20151026_174520-X2.jpg

20151026_174357-X2.jpg

20151026_174333-X2.jpg

20151026_174326-X2.jpg

20151026_174139-X2.jpg

20151026_173511-X2.jpg

20151026_173300-X2.jpg

20151026_173309-X2.jpg

20151026_175049-X2.jpg

20151026_175053-X2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy smokes, those are gorgeous! Will be interesting to hear how that little bit of a design tweak impacts the forgiveness of a slightly off-center strike.

beautiful as always from Mizuno's top iron. Another one I would love to give a few swings to.

they are sexy, but my hands hurt now

Super looking iron! My 37 years of playing a muscle back blade ended in February with the purchase of my XR Pro's. I'm not going back but if I were these would be on the short list.

Beautiful.

Holy smokes, those are gorgeous! Will be interesting to hear how that little bit of a design tweak impacts the forgiveness of a slightly off-center strike.

It's interesting, right? This is by no means their first attempt at removing some of the mass in that area, as my long time gamers were like this as well (MP 32's)

8030.mp32-iron.jpg

What I see here, is a very obvious design improvement from a set of irons I had a genuine passion for, and that gets me pretty excited. The mass that is wasted at the top of the face on the 32 has been reconsidered in the MP-5 in an elegant yet brilliant way.

These are some of the most beautiful irons I have ever seen.

Holy smokes those are sexy!

It's interesting, right? This is by no means their first attempt at removing some of the mass in that area, as my long time gamers were like this as well (MP 32's)

8030.mp32-iron.jpg

What I see here, is a very obvious design improvement from a set of irons I had a genuine passion for, and that gets me pretty excited. The mass that is wasted at the top of the face on the 32 has been reconsidered in the MP-5 in an elegant yet brilliant way.
Loved the 32s (liked them better than the 60s, even). If the 5s are similar, or better, that would be a winner in my book... Hmmm... Some 5s in 7-PW? Pondering...

holy smokes! These look amazing and i loved every picture until i saw the hosel

Just hit these Instore two days ago and while they are visually stunning in person, the "mizuno" feel is ever present. Solid, buttery softness (if that makes sense) combined with a forgiveness that I found inviting but still penalizing on off center hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These irons are gorgeous. I preference the mp4 a little more. Looking forward to your thoughts. I enjoyed the 2 dzn or so balls I hit with them but I needed a little more forgiveness

WOW those are just gorgeous - too much club for my game but just so nice!

Like seeing how they are attempting to move the mass around to help with the mis-hits as well....

Well they are pretty....

I'll admire from a distance.

I'm leaning towards more forgiveness these days, but those are pretty.

I want to hit them, and kudos to them for trying to make a blade more playable.

I want to hit them, and kudos to them for trying to make a blade more playable.

My thoughts exactly, and a trend that's not new in the industry.... I think anyone who isn't trying to improve the playability of an MB is falling behind.

Seriously good looking irons. I've hit these pretty extensively and they are fantastic. Not a huge fan of chrome but these I can look at lovingly

Seriously good looking irons. I've hit these pretty extensively and they are fantastic. Not a huge fan of chrome but these I can look at lovingly
Love me some chrome lol

Some great looking blades right there!

just received 8I, 9I and PW with projectX 5.5 (replacing JPX 850 forged DG S300) spent 1 hour indoor with simulator. very nice. just like any blades mishits will make you feel the difference and it shows in the data. good hits = Mizuno. and it looks so nice.

Ich will....

I want those in my bag soooo bad, but I'm wiser than that. I'd love to give them a few swings however.

Back