Tiger Woods 3rd Back Procedure

This is disappointing to see, I loved the days when he was a dominant golfer on tour but after watching this past year it proved golf doesn't need Tiger to be exciting. Deep down I still hope he can come back and be successful but this makes me think the chances are very slim.

It is far more likely that he is done however the point can easily be conceded that he could catch lightening in a bottle for 4 rounds, but that would not be an indication of him being back.

I think Tiger has bigger issues in regards to winning major's than his back. Golf is a mental game and hasn't won a major in 7.5 years. Heck, George Bush was president last time Tiger won a major. I think when you go that long it's tough to get your confidence back and with no confidence it's tough to contend at a major.

I definitely think he'll be out there again, his ego's too big for him to not try. We'll listen to him say he's "close", we'll listen to Chamblee say he isn't, then we'll listen to EVERY interview of all other players on Tour revert to Tiger and what they think; even after they've just won!
I mean, what would the golf media do without the "made for TV drama" that is Tiger Woods???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I give him about a 50/50 chance to come back and play well (win another major). And that's probably than his actual chances. I guess I'd just like to see him go on one more good run before he fades out.

I think he will attempt to come back again, but my belief that he can be competitive again is slowly dwindling.

I'm rooting that he does - how exciting it would be to see the all time wins or major record be challenged.

BUT ... I think he's a headcase now, so even if he does it physically, my answer is no. I'm thinking he'll be like Freddy Couples where he'll catch lightning in a bottle on the big stage but can't sustain it for all four rounds.

I think he might be able to occasionally play at a competitive level (meaning in contention for tourney win), but you can't stop the body from breaking-down, generally speaking. And, once it starts, it seems like it sort of snowballs. I'd like to see him play well, because it is/was good for the game when he was in contention.

He had an exceptional career, and goes down in history as one of the very elite golfers of all time.

He's got a bad back; older athletes losing it due to injury is not a rarity at all.

I don't think it's any type of 'excuse' at all. I've played with minor back pain, and it definitely can effect your swing. I think a lot of people would tell you the same thing.

3 back procedures, with disc involvement isn't just minor back pain.

PED's aren't kind to the body in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 back procedures, with disc involvement isn't just minor back pain.

Not to minimize back surgery, but he doesn't have rods and pins in there and didn't have a spinal fusion. It sounds like he had a laminectomy where they remove small fragments of bone that are pressing on nerves and potential he had some disc material removed. The average person would do very well with these, but he's just pushing it. There is a way for him to still compete, but he needs to tone down what's going on his head. As I said in a previous post, he needs to learn to play like a 40 year old with back problems instead of the immortal 23 year old he used to be.

I was thinking the same thing. It's seems as much mental as anything and I would go so far to say some of these injuries and lame excuses might be a slight embellishment because his giant ego can't handle how poorly he's been playing.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
I too think the problem is between his ears. I would like to see him let it happen, not try to MAKE it happen. He's too talented to not win again, even after 3 back surgeries. He's just got to realize he's 40 years old, not 23 years old. Moosejaa says "his giant ego can't handle how poorly he's been playing." and the fact that he KNOWS he doesn't intimidate the players any more, especially Speith, Day, D J and all the twenty something's and early thirty something's that are playing their hinny's off now.

Last edited:
Tiger is a very smart guy. I think if he can stop thinking he can play like he is still 21 year old Tiger and reinvent himself to play to his limitations he could potentially come back and be consistent. He just has to come to reality that he is not old Tiger. He could contend in tournaments and the occasional major but it will never again be like before. I think it would be pretty sweet if we could get a curtain call of Tiger vs the young bucks.

Back