Status
Not open for further replies.
We have avoided doing allergy testing on Arrow for as long as we could, but today he is going in to get it done. I hate putting him through this but his little bumps have turned into welts and he has some on his neck that make him look like he has a turkey neck, or like a tumor is hanging down from there.

The poor boy is itching all the time and it's just not fair, so as much as it sucks that he has to get the test done, in the end it will hopefully give him a lifetime of itch relief.

I may have to get a second job to afford it though, $600 just for the test and $200 for each shot, which can go on for years :banghead:
Remember to ask about Apoquel. I'm not confident about availability for Arrow's weight range in that kind of market, but it might be worth a shot. It worked wonders for Bauer, and vets are hyped on it compared to previous allergy meds. Covers a wide spectrum and way fewer possible side effects.

Remember to ask about Apoquel. I'm not confident about availability for Arrow's weight range in that kind of market, but it might be worth a shot. It worked wonders for Bauer, and vets are hyped on it compared to previous allergy meds. Covers a wide spectrum and way fewer possible side effects.

Thanks for reminding me of the name, I just made a note of it and will ask the Dermatologist when I see her today. I would love to be able to just give him a pill instead of allergy shots. But at this point I will do whatever it takes to make him not itch anymore. The poor guy has welts all over him and can't/won't stop itching.

Thanks for reminding me of the name, I just made a note of it and will ask the Dermatologist when I see her today. I would love to be able to just give him a pill instead of allergy shots. But at this point I will do whatever it takes to make him not itch anymore. The poor guy has welts all over him and can't/won't stop itching.
Never a problem.

My dog has all the toys in the world. What does he grab? A pair of rolled up socks that were on the floor and starts throwing them around the bedroom.

Ha I have similar issues but when they are in a bin he always wants the one alllll the way at the bottom. So he takes every one out until he gets it then by the time he does he's no longer interested in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it's confirmed that Ellie has Cushings and I will start her on her first dose of meds this evening. We go back for a 1 hour blood test in 2 weeks to see how the meds are taking.

Arrow is done with his allergy testing and it turns out he has no environmental allergies except mosquitos. Of course we live on a lake and preserves so that doesn't help at all. Vet said even with the mosquito allergy showing up, it's likely food that we are looking at so he is starting a new hypoallergenic food diet today and I will gradually introduce it into his diet over the next week or so to avoid any belly issues.

In the meantime I can give him Benedryl to help with the bumps he currently has, which turns out are hives. The vet said if it isn't food and it is just the mosquitoes there is nothing we can do really except keep him inside as much as possible, avoid walking him or letting him out in the yard during dusk and dawn, and either screening in our backyard or move. :banghead:

Well it's confirmed that Ellie has Cushings and I will start her on her first dose of meds this evening. We go back for a 1 hour blood test in 2 weeks to see how the meds are taking.

Arrow is done with his allergy testing and it turns out he has no environmental allergies except mosquitos. Of course we live on a lake and preserves so that doesn't help at all. Vet said even with the mosquito allergy showing up, it's likely food that we are looking at so he is starting a new hypoallergenic food diet today and I will gradually introduce it into his diet over the next week or so to avoid any belly issues.

In the meantime I can give him Benedryl to help with the bumps he currently has, which turns out are hives. The vet said if it isn't food and it is just the mosquitoes there is nothing we can do really except keep him inside as much as possible, avoid walking him or letting him out in the yard during dusk and dawn, and either screening in our backyard or move. :banghead:

if it's mosquitoes for Arrow, what about some of the deet free animal bug spray?

if it's mosquitoes for Arrow, what about some of the deet free animal bug spray?
What he said. We use a cedar spray on the dog when we go out, the smell is a little strong at first but a little goes a long way. FYI, dont try it on a cat. Things get real when you spray a cat! There is another we liked, ark natural or something like at Target but haven't been able to find it.

What he said. We use a cedar spray on the dog when we go out, the smell is a little strong at first but a little goes a long way. FYI, dont try it on a cat. Things get real when you spray a cat! There is another we liked, ark natural or something like at Target but haven't been able to find it.

We keep this with us when we go camping with Lexie. Works pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/All-Terrain-N...=1445367074&sr=8-2&keywords=pet+bug+repellent

I had no idea they made bug spray for dogs. We give him K9 Advantix II which is supposed to prevent mosquito bites, but it's clearly not working. I will look into the dog bug spray.

Arrow HATES to get sprayed, but if it stops the bumps and hives he will learn to deal with it.

Thanks guys!

I had no idea they made bug spray for dogs. We give him K9 Advantix II which is supposed to prevent mosquito bites, but it's clearly not working. I will look into the dog bug spray.

Arrow HATES to get sprayed, but if it stops the bumps and hives he will learn to deal with it.

Thanks guys!
If he doesn't like to be sprayed maybe ask about the bracelets they make for kids. They're safer and could go around his neck. I've seen a bungee type bracelet and a fixed belt type bracelet. It's a shot. Poor guy, glad it's not anything more serious.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

If he doesn't like to be sprayed maybe ask about the bracelets they make for kids. They're safer and could go around his neck. I've seen a bungee type bracelet and a fixed belt type bracelet. It's a shot. Poor guy, glad it's not anything more serious.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I was reading the reviews and a lot of people said they sprayed it on their hands and then wiped it on their dogs because their dogs also hated to be sprayed. I am going to get the one nerfny recommended and give that a try. I will try anything to help my little guy be less itchy.

As much as this sucks, it's way better than him having to have a lifetime of allergy shots.

I was reading the reviews and a lot of people said they sprayed it on their hands and then wiped it on their dogs because their dogs also hated to be sprayed. I am going to get the one nerfny recommended and give that a try. I will try anything to help my little guy be less itchy.

As much as this sucks, it's way better than him having to have a lifetime of allergy shots.

Now that's a good idea there. Must have been a women to give that tip. Men would have just yelled at the dog to sit still. Well I would have at least. :D Grace was itchy all the time. I think it drove her crazy itching about as much as her scratching drove us crazy.

Yes definitely better than the shots.

Surprised the vet said to use benedryl opposed to pushing Apoquel. Bauer's problem is from mosquitos, too, and then scratching where they get him, and then scratching the sores he creates. We tried all the different foods and bowls and shampoos and wipes. Benedryl stopped working after a while, but the Apoquel we got from the vet ceased the scratching and prevented new sores.

Surprised the vet said to use benedryl opposed to pushing Apoquel. Bauer's problem is from mosquitos, too, and then scratching where they get him, and then scratching the sores he creates. We tried all the different foods and bowls and shampoos and wipes. Benedryl stopped working after a while, but the Apoquel we got from the vet ceased the scratching and prevented new sores.

She is trying to decide still if it's food or mosquitoes that are causing the problem. That's why we are switching to the new food and giving that a few weeks, and if the itching stops we know it's from that. If the itching continues then we know it's from mosquitoes, and at that time she will prescribe medication, which I believe will be Apoquel.

She is trying to decide still if it's food or mosquitoes that are causing the problem. That's why we are switching to the new food and giving that a few weeks, and if the itching stops we know it's from that. If the itching continues then we know it's from mosquitoes, and at that time she will prescribe medication, which I believe will be Apoquel.
That seems backwards, at least for here.

In a few weeks in TX it will be too cold for mosquitos, so trying to eliminate them first would be the better experiment.

That seems backwards, at least for here.

In a few weeks in TX it will be too cold for mosquitos, so trying to eliminate them first would be the better experiment.

We know he is allergic to mosquitoes, it came up on the test. She is pretty confident that it's the food that is the actual problem though. And it will not be too cold here in a couple of weeks, and I live on a lake and back up to woods, we never have a shortage of mosquitoes.

The Pets Thread

Natural Flea Control Spray for Pets + Home | Flea, Tick & Mosquito Killer & Repellent - Adults & Eggs | Non-Staining & Dries Clear | for Dogs & Cats | 16oz Fresh Cedar + Lemongrass Scent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A755TQS/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_d2UjwbV69CS7F

This stuff is fantastic. Once a week is great and has that campfire outdoors smell.

Also look in to raw diet for Arrow. It's is very anti-inflammatory and very clean eating fur them.

Please don't do laundry dad, this is way too comfortable.

a04aef85d90d9f91745e9d0c85aea04d.jpg

Going to town on his Nylabone.
6c28eaed2de33c1e03b5eaa391c43895.jpg

In laws brought their 12 week old Golden Retriever over to visit this weekend. All my 12 year old Pug does is sleep, so that's the only bonding time they had.
169c17bd68e111d704530b758d85910a.jpg

The Pets Thread

Been a lonely summer with my buddy border collie gone who passed 2 weeks after Memorial Day. Contemplated getting another dog for a while.Found a new buddy 3 days ago, only a 6 week year old pure bred border collie we named Flynn. Amazingly he is a real quick learner .. He didn't have one mistake in the house at all.. Knows where is food was after a few hours and even sleeps in his own bed without any crying .. And to top it off ... He is bringing a smile on my face after a sad summer
3b4fecd5b204d27da8904f3891ed1113.jpg
cad7a88d3e19a8445b794222556fde9a.jpg
147e035c0bd9a7932cd0d362830dbdd3.jpg

Was extremely scared the first day.. But now he is just having a blast checking things out and following me everywhere

Yeah, they love going for rides.
dc4eb48c3dac84a0aeed0caa81e61334.jpg

We got Azul and Brix the same costume for our Halloween party Saturday lol Dakota would freak if we put something like this on him.
d74aaf433e8f0c05a9dfec89992720a8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back