Putter Design and Myths

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the most requested topics as of late has been about the creation of putters. While at the 2018 PGA Show, we caught up with one of the most brilliant minds of the flatstick in Austie Rollinson to discuss further.

Here is Michael Vrska and Austie Rollinson discussing the design and creation of the putters, as well as diving pretty deep into the technology that helps make golfers better.

[video=youtube;dlFMtCK-6ms]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlFMtCK-6ms[/video]

When they say "forgiveness of a putter," what does that mean exactly? Great 3 minute video right there.

Great video and I 100% agree with his comments on confidence comments. I have 3 Odyssey O’Works putters and will be adding an Exo or two to the collection this spring.

But do they gear putts back toward the hole?

Joking aside, very good spot by these two, interesting take on how aesthetics can build confidence and turn into tour success.

• Admin
I liked the bit about confidence and I think that is so key. Confidence can come from so many different places for different golfers.
I'm still a bit shocked that it took a full on Tour movement before the OEMs gave toe-hang mallets a proper try.

• Admin
I liked the bit about confidence and I think that is so key. Confidence can come from so many different places for different golfers.

Sean Toulon spoke about that very thing as well in two of our THP TV spots (1 from the show, 1 prior) and how that really has to be the first thing for most golfers.
Honestly I think the same can be said for most equipment.

Very interesting and informative video.

Very cool. I love all the tech info. I also get a kick out of acknowledging that looks do play a part in a putters success. I could watch interviews like this all day. Love it. Thank you!

Very cool. I love all the tech info. I also get a kick out of acknowledging that looks do play a part in a putters success. I could watch interviews like this all day. Love it. Thank you!

Thanks checkered. Lots of them on the homepage right now. Under the video player. Or the THP TV section

I understood 7 words in that video .

Another good video there. The bit about confidence is dead on. I find it interesting that red is the color that has caught on and become popular. I can understand why to an extent but the overall success is amazing.

Great video.

Another good short informative video.

Excellent video. Lots of information in that short amount of time .

I don't get overly wrapped up in the ins and outs of the concepts or tech involved in most clubs because that swing requires so much more to be repeatable. Until it comes to putters, I learn as much as possible. Great video!

Another awesome info packed video, Vrska doing another awesome job on the interview!

I knew Austie was involved with clubs, but did not know he was involved with some of those big names like Big Bertha, etc.
He has a few putter designs that are pretty popular :D

I knew Austie was involved with clubs, but did not know he was involved with some of those big names like Big Bertha, etc.
He has a few putter designs that are pretty popular :D
Austie is awesome.

Great video, would love more information of not just getting teh ball to roll but what's that magic number, if there is one, they shoot for in skid vs roll etc.

Great video and I could listen to Austie talk putter design all day.

Always great insight, direct from the source.

Great video, some knowledge in that guys head...wow

I'm still a bit shocked that it took a full on Tour movement before the OEMs gave toe-hang mallets a proper try.

Sean Toulon spoke about that very thing as well in two of our THP TV spots (1 from the show, 1 prior) and how that really has to be the first thing for most golfers.
Honestly I think the same can be said for most equipment.

The EXO putters are confidence-inspiring IMHO. The entire line just makes me want to pick them up & try them! I literally can’t take my eyes off them, and I don’t recall an entire line being like this for me before.

Does Callaway show the MOI of each putter anywhere? Austin mentioned 5000 but is that a number that they shoot for minimally?

Looks like Austie just might be a participant in the 2018 Odyssey Experience. Talking about having a chance to dive deeper into putters than ever before.

The R&D designer of some of the most popular shapes in the world
The head of Industrial Design
The person that brings them to market
And one more...

Back