Home course green size/fairway width

ntanygd760

Reaction score
Handicap
Someone mentioned that their greens are much smaller then pebble beach(3500sqft)

Do you know the size at your course? Average fairway width.

My course is 4590 sqft on average. I honestly thought it would be smaller than that.

The fairways are tiny though, with the back tees at 6481. They are 21 yards wide on average in my landing area with the widest only 27 yards. Needless to say my FIR is awful.

Pro hint: google earth pro has a new polygon feature that you can trace an object and it will give you the square feet.

I haven't measured my "home" course yet, but I'd guess about 20 yards wide. No idea on the green size.

I found it laughable leading up to the US Open last year when the pros were whining about the rough being so thick and nasty and then realizing they had 40-50 yards of fairway to work with.

Thanks for the polygon tip. The two courses I play most differ quite a bit. I score better on the one with narrower fairways (26 yards) and smaller crowned greens (2932 sqf). The other one has much more generous fairways (36 yards and banked to deflect shots down the edge back toward center) and greens (3861 sqf). Tougher green complexes and many more hazards though.

I don't know the exact dimensions - but I'd say confidently- large fairways, small greens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know the exact dimensions - but I'd say confidently- large fairways, small greens

Your home course's greens are TINY. #9 comes to mind as a really small one.

There are exceptions to every rule, but I feel that the older the course, the smaller the greens tend to be. Part of that is design, part is that is greens tend to shrink in size over time due to agronomy practices.

There are exceptions to every rule, but I feel that the older the course, the smaller the greens tend to be. Part of that is design, part is that is greens tend to shrink in size over time due to agronomy practices.

So true on all accounts

The widest fairway is 28.5 yards, narrowest is 16.7 yards.

The largest green is 5,383 sqft, smallest is 1,765.

I never realized how disproportionate this course is.

This post makes me think of one local 9 hole course. Oakwood is it's name, in Amherst, NY. Many of the greens are rightly so labeled postage stamp greens, and the majority of the fairways are on the narrow side. Yet it makes for a good challenge.

I am not sure of specifications, but I would definitely say the fairways are wide at the Brickyard, and the greens are long, but narrow.

The average square footage of my home course greens is around 3850. It's a short course and the front nine has very wide fairways and the back nine are narrower. It's a good mix though because the greens on the front are ridiculously sloped while the back are flatter. We did a toughest pins tournament last fall and played the front twice because there weren't many really frustrating spots to put pins on the back while just about every green on the front has several crazy spots to put a cup.

In that tournament, we were on the green of a par five with an uphill putt for eagle. We ended up double bogeying it (max score) as a team of 3 pretty decent players. It was literally impossible to get the ball to stop within 15 feet of the hole unless you putted off the green into the fringe above it.

I’ll have to check out the polygon part of google earth but my home course is bears Best atlanta. Being a jack Nicklaus course, fairways are wide and greens are fairly small. I’ll have to see what it is compared to pebble though!

I mean no one in their right mind wanting to make a course somewhat affordable back in the day would build giant greens when they had to be hand mowed. Greens shrinking is a legitimate factor over decades as well

The widest fairway is 28.5 yards, narrowest is 16.7 yards.

The largest green is 5,383 sqft, smallest is 1,765.

I never realized how disproportionate this course is.

1700 sqft isn't a green, it is an afterthought forward tee box

1700 sqft isn't a green, it is an afterthought forward tee box
The hole was being redesigned to give it a slight dog leg. They're working on making the green bigger once they move a tee from another hole.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Interesting question. I haven't been able to measure but compared to many other courses I've played in the area my home course has narrow fairways with large greens. If you can get off the tee and into the fairway, a GIR is quite obtainable. If you can't find the fairway, it isn't likely.

My home track greens average around 3100-3200 with some as small as 2500. My fairways average around 25-27 yards wide with some getting up to 30-35. But the wider ones slope like crazy so even when you hit the fairway it will roll off into the rough sometimes.

My home course is 6400 Y long fairways are 20 to 30 Y wide and the greens go from 7000 to 9000 sq. feet but a lot of slope in them. -- to me they play like 2 greens with the pin locations.

really interesting tool on google earth. Widest fairway for me was 32 yards, narrowest 23. Largest greens were two around 6,200 and smallest around 4,200.

I measured my home greens after ntanygd760 mentioned green sizes in the course management thread.

3409 sq ft, with a range of 2143-4508.

I'd four-putt on 7000-9000 sq ft greens.

I measured my home greens after ntanygd760 mentioned green sizes in the course management thread.

3409 sq ft, with a range of 2143-4508.

I'd four-putt on 7000-9000 sq ft greens.
I don't remember even making this thread. Those are some tiny greens right there.

This thread is also the answer to what do you do in winter to keep interested.

Home course plays around 6,300 yards, the widest fairway being 40 yards wide, the average being around 30. The greens are relatively tiny though, the biggest being around 6000, the smallest coming in at 3100 and the average somewhere around 4200. They are usually in good shape though, so they role true. The second course that I don't play often gets abused on the greens which seem to diminish more and more every year.. I wouldn't be surprised if the average green size on that course was under 4000 sqft.

Back