New irons Dilemma. Rogue vs Apex

TonyB

Reaction score
Handicap
I am looking to swap out my Steelhead XR's. I have had a hate/love relationship with them since I got them. I think I hit the XR's I traded in for them better. My SH have Recoil 460 which I love but as a high ball hitter already, they are almost too high.

My choices: THP'er with a new never hit set of Apex 5-AW with Recoil 760 or trade the SH in for Rogues for what amounts to about the same money. I love the feel of the Recoil shaft and the 760 should be a little lower launch than the 460's but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I hit both on Sat and if I was buying at the store, Rogues would probably win out with the $400 less price tag. However the money is basically the same between these two with the deal from THP'er.

Any thoughts?

New tech Same money? I go rogue, but that’s just me.

I am looking to swap out my Steelhead XR's. I have had a hate/love relationship with them since I got them. I think I hit the XR's I traded in for them better. My SH have Recoil 460 which I love but as a high ball hitter already, they are almost too high.

My choices: THP'er with a new never hit set of Apex 5-AW with Recoil 760 or trade the SH in for Rogues for what amounts to about the same money. I love the feel of the Recoil shaft and the 760 should be a little lower launch than the 460's but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I hit both on Sat and if I was buying at the store, Rogues would probably win out with the $400 less price tag. However the money is basically the same between these two with the deal from THP'er.

Any thoughts?
The Rogue Are you considering the standard Apex or the CF 16's? The Rogue irons are a closer profile to what you're playing in the SH irons but have much better feel IMO. Still have quite a bit of forgiveness over the standard Apex as well as a larger footprint, but it really depends on what you're looking for in your irons.

The Rogue Are you considering the standard Apex or the CF 16's? The Rogue irons are a closer profile to what you're playing in the SH irons but have much better feel IMO. Still have quite a bit of forgiveness over the standard Apex as well as a larger footprint, but it really depends on what you're looking for in your irons.

They are CF 16's never hit

Oh man. Apex are a treat to hit. The CF16 are great irons and to find some still never hit is pretty great.

That being said, the newer tech in the Rogues might outweigh that of the Apex for you. The Rogues may be longer and more forgiving than the Apex for you, which you may or may not want.

If there is no chance of hitting both to compare prior to the decision, I would go with the Apex.

Save the money & keep playing the Launcher HBs.

They're actually pretty similar in feel.

I meant the Apex CF16's have never been hit.

As far as the Launcher HB's, they are great clubs but I really do struggle with the size overall.

I've always hit 5 irons well until the SH and I do not get along with the SH long irons at all. I have been playing the HB 5 and 6 with SH 7-AW. I would much rather play a matched set but that is my tiny brain at work....

Assuming the numbers were similar, when you tried them, which felt better? If both felt about equal, the which looked better to your eye when addressing the ball? Or which sounded better?

I meant the Apex CF16's have never been hit.

As far as the Launcher HB's, they are great clubs but I really do struggle with the size overall.

I've always hit 5 irons well until the SH and I do not get along with the SH long irons at all. I have been playing the HB 5 and 6 with SH 7-AW. I would much rather play a matched set but that is my tiny brain at work....

I really love my Apex long irons. That being said, the Rogues will likely be easier to hit. Are you considering standard Rogues or Rogue Pro? Seems like RP and Apex would be on a similar scale and standard Rogue closer to the SH you don't like so much.

Feel is very personal, but you can't mimic forged feel, it is just a matter of where that lands on your priorities.

If given the choice of the two, I have to error to the side of forgiveness and go "Rouge"

Our HDCP's are close to the same - I'd tell you to try the "X" - I gained 10 yards with them over the regular Rouge iron.
Forget all about the hype about "Jacked up Lofts" - It's about hitting "A Number" when you have to.

I really love my Apex long irons. That being said, the Rogues will likely be easier to hit. Are you considering standard Rogues or Rogue Pro? Seems like RP and Apex would be on a similar scale and standard Rogue closer to the SH you don't like so much.

Feel is very personal, but you can't mimic forged feel, it is just a matter of where that lands on your priorities.

I was thinking the Standard Rogue. I have always been a good iron player until the SH and it has been very frustrating. I have never played a Forged iron and I will say the CF16's felt pretty darn good. Another factor is resale/trade in. I just bought the SH this time last year for around a $1000 and they are worth $234 trade value which is a bit shocking.

If given the choice of the two, I have to error to the side of forgiveness and go "Rouge"

Our HDCP's are close to the same - I'd tell you to try the "X" - I gained 10 yards with them over the regular Rouge iron.
Forget all about the hype about "Jacked up Lofts" - It's about hitting "A Number" when you have to.

I was wondering about that. I saw you got the X's and was anxious to hear your thoughts. I really don't have a distance problem with my irons though.

I was thinking the Standard Rogue. I have always been a good iron player until the SH and it has been very frustrating. I have never played a Forged iron and I will say the CF16's felt pretty darn good. Another factor is resale/trade in. I just bought the SH this time last year for around a $1000 and they are worth $234 trade value which is a bit shocking.

And you can see how the Apex hold their values. However, finding ones that work for you and last several years, resale/trade in doesn't really matter.

We can give recommendations and opinions all we want, but it all comes down to what you want and what makes you happy. That is what is most important. I think you are leaning a certain way, so just go with the gut and hack away! At the end of the day, it is just money.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

And you can see how the Apex hold their values. However, finding ones that work for you and last several years, resale/trade in doesn't really matter.

We can give recommendations and opinions all we want, but it all comes down to what you want and what makes you happy. That is what is most important. I think you are leaning a certain way, so just go with the gut and hack away! At the end of the day, it is just money.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What he said makes good sense to me!!

"It's only money" those 3 words has gotten me into so much trouble over the years... lol. I think I am going to get the Apex CF16's that will actually be less money if I figure in tax. My friend wants to buy my Steelheads so that will offset the cost some.

I was reading the Grandaddy thread where they asked Callaway about updated CF16's and they said when we figure out how to make them better. That statement says a lot. I hope they work for me.

Trigger pulled! They should be here this week so I can play them Friday and Sat. Hopefully the wife doesn't find out or she may punch me in the eye.:beat-up:

I have never hit either of the clubs you are debating with any abundance but when it comes down to my making a decision on an iron (everything between the 2 very close performance wise), I typically choose the one that (a) when I stand over the ball the iron head looks good to my eye and (b) instills inner confidence when I look down at the head behind the ball. With golf being so mental I want to have as much confidence with the club that I can and if I have that standing over it, I tend to execute much better.

If looks matter, I'd say Apex by an everest sized landslide.

You do know about the 50% trade in special for Rogue products currently right? The trade value on your Steelheads is actually another 50% higher than the shown price.

I appreciate all the feedback guys. I know ultimately it was my decision but it's nice to get some real world feedback.

In the end it was a no brainer as the Apex CF16 were brand new, less money, more pleasing to the eye, equal to or better performance and dare I say Sexy! lol

I still play and love my Apex '14's. Really don't think you could have gone wrong with whichever one you picked!

Back