Achilles515

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been buying a lot of older clubs lately mainly because they've been good deals. One of the sets I picked up is a set of Ping Eye 2s. They're obviously older and really need to be cleaned up and have the paint refilled. I'm not so concerned with the paint aspect of it but with the metal. For anyone that's done it or does it, what's your method? I was thinking some steel wool, then a real fine sand paper lightly. Not sure about the polish part though.

For really bad corrosion and decades old dirt I have used wire wheels on drills to clean them up. The caveat with this (and sandpaper or other abrasives) is that you run the risk of impacting any finishes that are on the face or in the cavity. Brake cleaner should strip the paint away fairly easily. I would just clean them up really well with hot water, soap, and a scrub brush. Afterwords if wanting a polish I would use a powered buffing wheel (https://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-buffer-94393.html) with Mothers Mag or similar metal polishes. This makes light work and pretty amazing results.

I may have to try that. They're not bad, not rusted just never kept up. I've seen there's some good drill wheels that will clean them up. I might go that route, then refill the paint in them.

If you have a bench grinder, it helps a lot. There are polishing pads (different grit) for the bench grinder and run your clubs through it. Takes out small dings and polishes it too. There are a few videos on YouTube. You should check out this method.

A Scotch-Brite pad works well. I use the ones with sponge on one side; as they are more comfortable to hold and keep your fingers cleaner. There are also some products, like Flitz, that help the process along.

I don't know if this only works on nickel finishes, but I have heard of people using Coca-Cola with success. If you go this route I would personally pull the heads and then soak them otherwise you run the risk of leaving a line on the hosel where the Coke went up to (as you don't want to soak the actual shaft itself and run the risk of breaking down the epoxy).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owEr38W2eVs

FF to 1:45 to see what I mean about leaving a line on the hosel.

Back