Gauging Interest for Skins/Low Gross Tournament Qualifiers

mere1582

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys, I'm reaching out to ask all you highly active golf players if there would be any interest from members here playing in our 2016 qualifiers that lead into our 2017 World Championship. Warning: Block of text

Our vision: give weekend warriors a chance to play alongside pros and celebs on the big stage. The format we have planned is this:

Qualifiers at ~500 courses throughout the US of about 30 players per qualifier. If you win or place high at your local qualifier, you earn an invitation to a “regional” qualifier. A predetermined number of the top players from each regional would then be invited to the 2017 World Championship, which is a full 156 player field. Every qualifier would have no handicaps and probably around an $80 entry fee, which covers green and other fees.

What the World Championship is:

-In 2017, $250,000 purse. We are a combination of skins and low gross. What this means is that 72% of purse goes to skins and 28% to low gross. This keeps it competitive with the weekend warriors and the pros and gives each a chance to win cash. At our first WC two weekend warriors shot an 89 and 92 (weather conditions were subpar) and each won $18,000 in skins because of their performance at one hole.
-You would be playing alongside well known sports celebs. For our 2016 WC we have 39 players (one for each group) coming out including Rick Barry, Mike Shanahan, Fred Williamson, Josh Beckett, etc. These guys aren’t getting paid off, they’re coming out simply because they believe in what our CEO has created and they love golf.
-Will be aired on National Television. Right now, we are under contract with the Golf Channel to air our 2016 WC. This could change for 2017 as we only entered a 1 year contract, but there is definite interest in the media.

While this is naturally a competitive event, our goal is for everyone to have a laid back and fun time together. At the same time, we don't want uncommitted guys coming out and whacking a 120 at the WC. And I realize that as the stakes keep growing every year more competition comes along with that. Our goals are to reach a $1mil purse, but we believe that the weekend warriors are what will make this event truly exciting and want to focus on that aspect as we grow.

Does this sound like something you would be interested in competing for throughout the second half of 2016 and early 2017 at your local courses? Good? Bad? Obviously, we haven’t determined exactly which courses will be hosting qualifiers yet, but let’s assume we had 10-15 nearby courses at every major city.

Thanks guys! I'll be checking this and my inbox to answer any questions or inputs you throw at me. Give me your worst!

TL,DR: Qualifiers throughout US leading to Regionals. Perform well at Regionals and you get to play in World Championship.

Sounds interesting and I might give it a go, still knowing that there are a lot of scratch and better players out there that would blow me out of the water. I know that getting hcp players to join in this kind of event is really just to fill the coffer to pay off the better players since we usually don't have a chance if our hcp is true.

But who knows...maybe a miracle run ?

I would give it a go. Would be something to work for and get the game tuned up!

I'd love it!

Awesome guys, glad to hear it. Thanks for the input!

Sounds interesting and I might give it a go, still knowing that there are a lot of scratch and better players out there that would blow me out of the water. I know that getting hcp players to join in this kind of event is really just to fill the coffer to pay off the better players since we usually don't have a chance if our hcp is true.

But who knows...maybe a miracle run ?

That's the beauty of it, a birdie on a tough hole can be enough. Like I said, guys who shot an 89 and 92 each won $18k in skins last year. Those scores aren't exactly "blowing you out of the water" :) You don't have to focus on winning the whole tournament, but one really good hole can be a game changer.

Back