PXG Rumored To Have Signed 5 in Top 50

This is a good point but don't they still stay boutique brands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. Look at Omega for example. How many Hall of Fame commercials have we all had to stomach but I would contest they are a brand that has a legitimate shot at maybe attacting buyers from the top 5% of the population.

What I see PXG doing is much of the same. An immense advertising budget for a high margin, low volume brand. It's not so much a golf purchase but a lifestyle purchase.

Do I think he will get greedy at some point if he's successful and launch a more affordable product? Absolutely. Once the name recognition loses it's luster he will start chasing marketshare.

With hard goods golf equipment? Yes, I think its a stretch.
Personal opinion based on every brand I can think of that went this route.

The difference is, the blowhard at the top, has a ton of money to lose before going away compared to the others.

I guess I liken this to Rolex. Obviously the company isn't going anywhere. Sure I know the name, and sure they might look cool, but I am never going to own one. Hence to me anyway, it's a boutique brand. And no matter how cool one of their products is, I will never pay that price. Mainstream on the other hand has accessibility for a normal (read average person). At least that's how I define the term in my head. If these clubs stay at their current price point, they will never be mainstream.

Yeah. Look at Omega for example. How many Hall of Fame commercials have we all had to stomach but I would contest they are a brand that has a legitimate shot at maybe attacting buyers from the top 5% of the population.

What I see PXG doing is much of the same. An immense advertising budget for a high margin, low volume brand. It's not so much a golf purchase but a lifestyle purchase.

Do I think he will get greedy at some point if he's successful and launch a more affordable product? Absolutely. Once the name recognition loses it's luster he will start chasing marketshare.

Oh totally agree. But in my head that is still boutique I guess. Can they stick around this way? Sure.

First of all, I want to live in their world to be able to afford those brands.Jason Moore has been with several club brands.Rocco was wearing a Dick's Sporting Goods hat for awhile. I think as a endorser you have to establish yourself at some pricepoint.I don't see any of their current stable moving anyone to buy these clubs.
There is an entire world of golfers in the US who pay for brands like XXIO and Miura and have no issues doing it. Even if he siphons a portion of the business they have a chance to succeed. Especially if they arent sitting on tons of inventory which it looks like they are keeping it boutique.

First of all, I want to live in their world to be able to afford those brands.Jason Moore has been with several club brands.Rocco was wearing a Dick's Sporting Goods hat for awhile. I think as a endorser you have to establish yourself at some pricepoint.I don't see any of their current stable moving anyone to buy these clubs.

I don't think thats the purpose in this instance. DJ gets tons of airtime so he's a walking ad for the product. He doesn't care if units move he cares about a paycheck. I would argue that there are maybe 3 players on the PGA Tour who can sell clubs and DJ might be a case study for the fourth.

Parsons knows the majority of people can't afford his clubs. In fact, he owns up to it in their ads. He's using tour players because an ad to gain name recognition among the people who have no price limitations.

The big change you mentioned is price point here. If he comes down then yes. That is the mitigating factor for me.

I don't think thats the purpose in this instance. DJ gets tons of airtime so he's a walking ad for the product. He doesn't care if units move he cares about a paycheck. I would argue that there are maybe 3 players on the PGA Tour who can sell clubs and DJ might be a case study for the fourth.

Parsons knows the majority of people can't afford his clubs. In fact, he owns up to it in their ads. He's using tour players because an ad to gain name recognition among the people who have no price limitations.

For me this becomes tree like though and somewhat defeats the point of advertising. Like you said- netjets etc. I could not care less when I see that ad or symbol as it is vastly outside of my income level. It becomes background viewing. I don't think that is a good model for selling clubs.

For me this becomes tree like though and somewhat defeats the point of advertising. Like you said- netjets etc. I could not care less when I see that ad or symbol as it is vastly outside of my income level. It becomes background viewing. I don't think that is a good model for selling clubs.

It doesn't appeal to you, but it appeals to the market who can afford it.

Not all advertising is universal. TaylorMade is trying to sell to everyone. A lot of companies are only focusing on a fraction of the population and if they do it right they are successful.

It doesn't appeal to you, but it appeals to the market who can afford it.

Not all advertising is universal. TaylorMade is trying to sell to everyone. A lot of companies are only focusing on a fraction of the population and if they do it right they are successful.

But isn't that what defines mainstream?

But isn't that what defines mainstream?

Depends on your view of mainstream. I think product awareness is what defines mainstream where some would argue units sold is mainstream..

Another way to look at the advertising is like this.
How much does a full page GD Ad cost?
How much does a commercial during the Masters cost?
How much does a banner ad on places like THP cost?

Add that all up and compare it to the cost of a player who will be that commercial for you (hopefully) and its usually cheaper.

Depends on your view of mainstream. I think product awareness is what defines mainstream where some would argue units sold is mainstream..

Good point- brand awareness vs. brand ownership.

I tend to think of it as ownership or possibility of ownership I guess.

If the rumor is true.....I wonder how they are going to roll the information out. Slowly? Social media? Ads? Will be interesting.

If the rumor is true.....I wonder how they are going to roll the information out. Slowly? Social media? Ads? Will be interesting.
A commercial at the Super Bowl. Using Anna Rawson as their spokesmodel.

Here is the photo, seriously, that they used in their press release announcing her as their spokesperson.

blogs-the-loop-assets_c-2015-06-Anna%20Rawson_PXG1-thumb-470x525-158346.jpg

I didn't know it got cold in Scottsdale.

Another good example is probably the luxury car brands. I'm not going to get one of those $500 a month leases that are advertised during golf and other sporting events, but I'm familiar with those brands and car models. At the price he's asking, he doesn't need to sell a TON of clubs to keep the brand around, especially if they have any tour presence. While I don't think it necessarily drives a lot of the folks here, there are people out there who just want to play what the pros play. If Parsons picks a set of guys who resonate with that crowd, this could work out for him.

At the price he's asking, he doesn't need to sell a TON of clubs to keep the brand around, especially if they have any tour presence.
The guy is worth 2.2 billion dollars. Even if he bleeds out to the tune of 10 million a year, he'll go broke in 2 centuries. This could just as easily be an ego thing ... "I own a golf company that makes stuff better than everyone else."

The guy is worth 2.2 billion dollars. Even if he bleeds out to the tune of 10 million a year, he'll go broke in 2 centuries. This could just as easily be an ego thing ... "I own a golf company that makes stuff better than everyone else."

He is all about ego. Read his blog it's hilarious.

A commercial at the Super Bowl. Using Anna Rawson as their spokesmodel.

Here is the photo, seriously, that they used in their press release announcing her as their spokesperson.

blogs-the-loop-assets_c-2015-06-Anna%20Rawson_PXG1-thumb-470x525-158346.jpg

I didn't know it got cold in Scottsdale.

serious question: what's the problem? this looks like a perfume ad, or niemann marcus ad. a luxury brand, exactly what pxg is setting themselves apart to be if i understand their branding correctly. it makes a lot of sense to me.

It will be interesting to watch this. I have to admit I have zero interest in their product. But, I agree that there is a person out there to buy anything.

serious question: what's the problem? this looks like a perfume ad, or niemann marcus ad. a luxury brand, exactly what pxg is setting themselves apart to be if i understand their branding correctly. it makes a lot of sense to me.

I agree that it isn't THAT bad. It's just not subtle.

Then again, nothing about Bob Parsons is subtle.

I agree that it isn't THAT bad. It's just not subtle.

Then again, nothing about Bob Parsons is subtle.

if it was holly sonders being holly sonders, i'd probably have an issue with it. yes, it's sex, but at least it's elegant. it has nothing to do with golf, but the luxury goods market is rife with advertisements that have nothing to do with the product.

So how much of hard goods land scape does PXG have to garner in order for it to be deemed a success?

It's like the Yankees announcing they signed ARod and the picture they accompany the press release with is one of him wearing Calvin Klein tightie whities. Just out of place IMO. Not that this is anything new for Mr. Go Daddy. The next classy ad he produces will be the first one though.

Back