Weird rules question

chriso97

Mad Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
This didn't happen, but it could have.

There was a piece of bark across the hole. Resting against the hole.

So the ball would be sitting above the hole on the bark, which is resting against the flag stick.

Wtf
e219f602d8acbc705c9dbcc7c5e74c08.jpg

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

My guess is pull pin, if ball falls replace with no penalty as close as you can(lip basically) hole out

Eff that, it's in the hole

Mark the ball, move the bark and replace the ball. In this case it is in the hole.

I’m counting that.

For competition play not sure.

But this would be a cool question for USGA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rule 23.1 applies here in my opinion.

http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!rule-23

"On the putting green, if the ball or ball-marker is accidentally moved in the process of the player removing a loose impediment, the ball or ball-marker must be replaced. There is no penalty, provided the movement of the ball or ball-marker is directly attributable to the removal of the loose impediment. Otherwise, the player incurs a penalty of one stroke under Rule 18-2."

Where did you find the pic?

But can you mark the ball, and move the bark all while not moving your mark?

Because the the position of the ball, on the bark, over the hole it would be a challenge. But based on the hypothetical situation the mark would fall into the hole. You’d then have to replace it which would be in the hole.

Weird rules question

I believe you would replace it on the edge correct? So unfortunately doesn’t count. I would think it’s similar to if your ball plugged into the lip of the hole. I’ll see if I can find the decision and ruling

This may work: 24-1b

If the ball lies in or on the obstruction, the ball may be lifted and the obstruction removed. The ball must through the green or in a hazard be dropped, or on the putting green be placed, as near as possible to the spot directly under the place where the ball lay in or on the obstruction, but not nearer to the hole

I would think you place on the lip because the ball never broke the plane of the cup (not the correct verbiage I know). Since it didn’t, there’s no way to really assume that it would have fallen if that wasn’t there.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe you would replace it on the edge correct? So unfortunately doesn’t count. I would think it’s similar to if your ball plugged into the lip of the hole. I’ll see if I can find the decision and ruling

This may work: 24-1b

If the ball lies in or on the obstruction, the ball may be lifted and the obstruction removed. The ball must through the green or in a hazard be dropped, or on the putting green be placed, as near as possible to the spot directly under the place where the ball lay in or on the obstruction, but not nearer to the hole

I would think you place on the lip because the ball never broke the plane of the cup (not the correct verbiage I know). Since it didn’t, there’s no way to really assume that it would have fallen if that wasn’t there.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was my thinking. This is one of those you can email to the USGA and they are pretty good at getting back to you.

I am still thinking you replace the ball as close as you can but that doesn't mean in the hole, now if the wind gusts and it goes it is all good. The ball would have to be below the hole for it to be in I thought, ie same obstruction causing ball not to be at bottom of cup but below green surface.

Common sense says the ball is in the hole so that means it most likely isn't.

If it's not a tournament where you can get a judges ruling, I say it's in the hole! Pick up your ball and move on to the next hole. If it is a tournament then get a judges ruling. Then proceed according to ruling.

We staged the photo when we realised what could have happened.

I looked up some rules

Rule 17-4

When a player’s ball rests against the*flagstick*in the*hole*and the ball is not*holed
, the player or another person authorised by him may move or remove the*flagstick, and if the ball falls into the*hole, the player is deemed to have*holed
out with his last*stroke
; otherwise, the ball, if*moved
, must be placed on the lip of the*hole, without penalty

And by 23-1 if you move the ball while removing loose impediments on green its okay.

Sooo
Either A) remove bark and put ball back (in the hole) or
B) move the flag and make the ball fall in

Basically it's in the hole either way (I think)

Per rules guys from golf magazine:

While I was playing in Nebraska's Sandhills country, a tumbleweed rolled into the hole just before my putt stopped…on top of the tiny tumbleweed! My ball hovered above the hole. My buddy said to replace my ball just outside the hole because it never fell below the rim of the cup. I said my ball would have dropped, so it's a holed putt. Help!*—DON BYERS, OMAHA, NEB.

Hoss, I reckon this rule ain't big enough for the both of you. Your friend is right. Now, had a tumblin' tumbleweed deflected your ball, your stroke would have been replayed, under Rule 19-1b. But in this instance, your ball is not considered holed because it didn't fall below the lip of the hole. You must remove that knot of dead plants, replace your ball at the lip, and tap in—after looking both ways for more stray tumbleweeds.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

if this happened to me or any im playing with im giving it to them!

Back in 3rd grade, we were in a class and the teacher had some brain teasers that she was asking.

One of the questions was very similar. It was something like what I've typed below.

Bob is on the golf course and hits his ball up the right side of the hole he is playing. There are spectators lining that side of the hole. His ball manages to come to rest inside an empty, brown paper lunch bag. The rules of golf say he must play the ball as it lies, so he's unable to touch the ball or the bag. How can he free his ball from this situation while not touching or moving the ball or the bag in which it lies?

After some deliberation, my team came to the conclusion that he could simply burn the paper bag.

I do not know if this is within the 'actual' rules of golf... but, it's stuck with me for 30+ years.

In this scenario... if it were legal... I'd burn the piece of bark. Let the ball fall where it may.

:devil:

Per rules guys from golf magazine:

While I was playing in Nebraska's Sandhills country, a tumbleweed rolled into the hole just before my putt stopped…on top of the tiny tumbleweed! My ball hovered above the hole. My buddy said to replace my ball just outside the hole because it never fell below the rim of the cup. I said my ball would have dropped, so it's a holed putt. Help!*—DON BYERS, OMAHA, NEB.

Hoss, I reckon this rule ain't big enough for the both of you. Your friend is right. Now, had a tumblin' tumbleweed deflected your ball, your stroke would have been replayed, under Rule 19-1b. But in this instance, your ball is not considered holed because it didn't fall below the lip of the hole. You must remove that knot of dead plants, replace your ball at the lip, and tap in—after looking both ways for more stray tumbleweeds.

This was a great find! I enjoy those rules segments. Well done Sennamont.

This was a great find! I enjoy those rules segments. Well done Sennamont.
You are welcome, another interesting thing is....the guy who asked that question in the golf magazine is probably the same 61 year.old college golfer.

I had this happen on a windy day with a big leaf this winter. Greenside chip, just off the fringe. Leaves were blowing everywhere and that one must've blown up against the flag stick as I was playing the shot and it stayed lodged there until it caught the ball. I don't know for sure but I think the ball would've burned the edge and missed without that leaf.
Fortunately with a strong gust the ball fell into the hole before I got to it but I was counting it anyway ...lol ... off season practice round.

Back in 3rd grade, we were in a class and the teacher had some brain teasers that she was asking.

One of the questions was very similar. It was something like what I've typed below.

Bob is on the golf course and hits his ball up the right side of the hole he is playing. There are spectators lining that side of the hole. His ball manages to come to rest inside an empty, brown paper lunch bag. The rules of golf say he must play the ball as it lies, so he's unable to touch the ball or the bag. How can he free his ball from this situation while not touching or moving the ball or the bag in which it lies?

After some deliberation, my team came to the conclusion that he could simply burn the paper bag.

I do not know if this is within the 'actual' rules of golf... but, it's stuck with me for 30+ years.

In this scenario... if it were legal... I'd burn the piece of bark. Let the ball fall where it may.

Now THAT is some creative thinking :)

Legal or not, I like it !!!
Remind me to play golf with you someday , lots of fun and crazy stuff going on there

Back